Harmonic Balancer, Crank Support, Lower Pulley

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I know this is an older post but if this helps anyone with what I did with my supercharger pulley repair, it will still be a help. I bought my stock 2003 Cobra with worn out supercharger bushings. I could have gone out and bought a used 2003-2004 lower supercharger pulley cage, but still would have ended up with 18 or 19 year old bushings. I want to keep my Cobra as original as possible, so I didn't want to buy an aftermarket kit. The bushings in my pulleys were actually nonexistent with the three metal studs they had insulated. The studs were digging into the pulley holes and elongated them ( See the before and after pictures. The second and third pictures are the, "after" pictures. After watching a YouTube video, www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mnh8AsSkAg, I bought the bushing material that was recommended on the video from McMaster Car. Big thank you to Mike's Garage for posting this video. Then, I went to a friend, Chuck C. who is a metal fabricator. My friend made a tool to take the hub apart. He then welded in the portion of the pulley that was elongated to make the holes perfectly round. Then he got 1/2" bolts ( I believe they were 3" long with their smooth shoulders) and welded them into the front "crowfoot" portion of the hub. The smooth, shoulder portion of the bolts rode in the bushings. He cut the bolts to be the same length of the three metal studs. He then used the bushing material purchased from McMaster Car and pressed it into the hub. Chuck did a quality repair on a part that could have ended up in a scrap pile. The car runs great with no noises from the repair of the pulley.

nice.

what kind of tool did your friend make in order to take the hub apart?

cj428mach

Established Member
nice.

A vice, torch and impact will take them apart. You want a lot of heat to make it come apart smooth as it doesn't take much to destroy the hex in the lower.

Foxbody83

nice.

I will probably see him next week and will take a picture of the tool for you. It appeared to be a 1/4" thick flat bar about 3' long and he had studs in it to hold the crowfoot as he torqued out the center bolt. I believe he had to use heat on the center bolt to loosen it.

Users who are viewing this thread