Hard to shift when hot

SvtCobra0404

Established Member
Hey guys my 04 cobra runs and drives good until I do a few wot pulls.

my transmission gets harder to put in any gear. If I park the car and come back to it, it gets better.

It has 32k miles I’ve changed the trans fluid and I’ve added a MGW Short throw. What could be the concern?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Check the routing of the cable and the sheath. It could be getting warm and expanding so that the clutch isn't fully releasing.

hotcobra03

Established Member
If still stock with quadrant

Pull up on clutch pedal hard.

Self adjusting

Question. Is pedal getting harder to push to floor?

This would be a sign of cable binding

04oxfordvert

Established Member
had that same issue. check/change cable.
Hey guys my 04 cobra runs and drives good until I do a few wot pulls.

my transmission gets harder to put in any gear. If I park the car and come back to it, it gets better.

It has 32k miles I’ve changed the trans fluid and I’ve added a MGW Short throw. What could be the concern?

Sent from my SM-G965W using the svtperformance.com mobile app

shurur

Established Member
Even the MM clutch cable had that problem with the cable overheating and binding, until they redesigned it.
I have my MM cable wrapped in a heatshield just to be safe.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Sounds like the clutch is on its way out and not holding properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
A slipping clutch doesn't usually cause a hard to shift issue. Usually I've found if the clutch is going it's easier to shift as there's no load on the trans.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
A slipping clutch doesn't usually cause a hard to shift issue. Usually I've found if the clutch is going it's easier to shift as there's no load on the trans.

I had a car where the clutch was not fully disengaging the trans from the engine and it was hard to shift and put in gear. I replaced clutch and the problem was gone and it drove like new again. Wasn’t a cable issue in my particular case as it was a hydraulic clutch.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I had a car where the clutch was not fully disengaging the trans from the engine and it was hard to shift and put in gear. I replaced clutch and the problem was gone and it drove like new again. Wasn’t a cable issue in my particular case as it was a hydraulic clutch.

Still wasn't a slipping issue though. There was probably an issue with the slave cylinder not being shimmed right or something. I've seen that on the S197 Mustangs. If they don't shim the slave cylinder right they have shifting issues.

Users who are viewing this thread