Hard Start

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I'm sure the cobra guys that have been around the cars for a while will know this but will post for us newer owners. Last few weeks car has taken 2 cranks to start. Thought maybe the battery so took it to have the battery tested. Battery tested ok but they said the starting system had low voltage due to the alternator. Had a kmj sitting on the shelf so figured time for that. Got it installed just had to modify the bracket a little for the larger unit. Got the car started up and still the same. Made the voltage higher and the dimmer switch works now but not the issue.

Took the maf plug off and car fires up every time. Looked in the intake tube and has a little oil dripping down into the maf. Have already ordered a new starter as well but that wasn't the issue. Have the fipk and jlt separators on the shelf already so have another job this weekend. I will say having one of these cars is a work in progress in stock form. Luckily I have most of these parts in the garage already from the advice you guys gave me. I'm just glad it's not my daily driver.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Two thoughts, first get some MAF cleaner and give 'er a spray cause it costs nothing. Second if that doesn't work, key into on mode to prime pumps but don't start it. Do that once or twice then start and see if that makes a difference. Could be tired pumps, low voltage, PPRV etc.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Yeah I'll try to clean it and order another maf if nothing else for a spare. Seems like a good idea with these cars. I'm going to put a new starter on as well. Probably still the stock unit. Might as well put the fipk on while I've got the intake apart. I asked earlier about fuel pumps the key on/off doesn't make a difference. I will get new one's soon but seems like higher flow aftermarket are cheaper then stock replacements. Will have it tuned in the spring with an upper pulley/off road pipe. This car is way to quiet with just a catback. I have ordered all new metco idlers, belts, tensioners etc. Before I do that just to be sure an idler doesn't explode.

Users who are viewing this thread