Hard start, FRPS going bad?

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
My Vortech supercharged 99 Cobra randomly didn't start tonight. Drove it earlier today, parked on a slight incline and goto start it and it fires for a second and dies. After that it just cranks without starting.
There is pressure at the fuel rail, disconnect the battery, read the codes and got a P1000 for Diagnostic system not ready (or something to that effect)

I try again and after flooring the gas pedal (which is supposed to cut fuel) it starts up. I get it into the garage and smell fuel after closing the garage door. Wasn't sure if it was from the fuel that squirted out at the Schroeder valve or from excess fuel being dumped into the engine.

Is this a bad FRPS? It's been supercharged for 3 years and never did this but i know the Ford FRPS does not like to live long in boosted cars

I'm buying an FRPS since a big car event is next weekend and i'd like to rule that out as the problem, and other than changing the oil and replacing the FRPS is there anything else I should do? Thanks!

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Pull the vacuum line off the FRPS and see if it smells like gas. If it does then your FRPS is bad. Mine went bad randomly. I shut the car off to adjust the throttle stop and when I started it again the FRPS blew. I thought I screwed something up in the throttle body.

The P1000 code is a drive cycle code and is only there for smog.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Pull the vacuum line off the FRPS and see if it smells like gas. If it does then your FRPS is bad. Mine went bad randomly. I shut the car off to adjust the throttle stop and when I started it again the FRPS blew. I thought I screwed something up in the throttle body.

The P1000 code is a drive cycle code and is only there for smog.

Ok thanks, will do after work. I think that is the problem - my tuner warned me it could happen, and at this point, I hope that is the problem.

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
I have the same issue currently w my procharged cobra and made a thread look below its not too far behind. I just found out the culprit for me could easily be a bad alternator of all things. I got it tested and it came out bad and with a bad alternator your car can randomly turn off n struggle to turn over and start. So I'm gonna try that and never rule anything out and maybe take it up to a local auto parts store and they will do the battery, alternator, starter test. Make sure all those tests good

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
Also I am reading about the Kenne Bell disc that is meant for the sensor to prevent it from blowing constantly with power adders on our cars. Look into that also as I am!

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
So I check the vacuum line on the sensor and no fuel smell at all. Car starts normal and idles normal. I check the vacuum line again after shutting it down and still no fuel smell. Tonight I'll pull the vacuum line while the engine is running if no fuel smell I'm not changing the sensor.

Also I am reading about the Kenne Bell disc that is meant for the sensor to prevent it from blowing constantly with power adders on our cars. Look into that also as I am!

I need to look into that, do you have a link?

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
Just go to google search search and type in " Kenne bell disc mustang" and a ton of mustang forum articles links will show up. I too smelled my frps lines and no smell at all but the part was so cheap I changed it anyways. On eBay you can get it for $23 shipped FYI

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Just go to google search search and type in " Kenne bell disc mustang" and a ton of mustang forum articles links will show up. I too smelled my frps lines and no smell at all but the part was so cheap I changed it anyways. On eBay you can get it for $23 shipped FYI

Sweet, thanks! Way better than $120 for a Ford part that might fail anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread