Half shaft support bearings

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I'm not sure what they're actually called. I'm referring to the bearings behind the seals in the diff case. Has anyone replaced those? I need to replace one of the seals and figured since I'm there I should look into replacing the bearings as well. Is there a fancy tool to pop them out? Or is it one of those jobs that's better to do when the case is pulled apart on a bench?

Albatross

Established Member
I did mine when I had the pumpkin out to do gears. I think I tapped them out from the inside. It may be possible to pull them out with a bearing puller on a slide hammer if your not planning on pulling the pumpkin. Installed them with a socket that fit the outer race. Hope this helps.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
bob the service manual says you can do the bearing and seal on the car. like albatross said it shows to use a slide hammer and seal/bearing cup drivers. (of course the rotunda tools probably cost about $2500)

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Thanks guys. For $2500 I'll see if I can come up with something else. I'm going to be putting it on a lift for exhaust work so figured I'd do this while I'm there.

Users who are viewing this thread