Hair line crack on front edge of MMR oil pan

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Found the true source of the leak on my race car. The front weld on the bottom of the pan has a hairline crack. There's no impact damage so nothing hit the pan the weld has fatigued over time and has split.

What are my options for fixing the crack?

Is it possible to tack weld the crack shut with the oil pan still on it on the car?

Drop k and remove MMR pan toss it and buy a proper road race pan?

Remove and repair reinstall MMR pan?

Guess those are my options. Anyone else have any ideas?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Remove and repair would be my choice. I'm sure it's possible to fix on the car, but you'll be able to inspect the rest is the pan while it's out.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Don't know that I would take that level of heat to a pan with a flammable substance in it. I'd throw it out and look for a stock pan.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
I'd give yourself the peace of mind in pulling the pan off. An exterior hairline crack may or may not be the result of further interior damage. Obviously, the fact that its leaking proves the crack is completely through the pan...regardless of the ability to fix this particular pan, I think its important to further investigate the cause, ensure extense of further damage for safety and reliability, etc by pulling off the pan.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Don't know that I would take that level of heat to a pan with a flammable substance in it. I'd throw it out and look for a stock pan.

That's why you empty it and clean it. No point in trashing what might be a good pan otherwise.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member

Stock does me no good. I'm leaning towards a moroso aluminum road race pan.

I'd give yourself the peace of mind in pulling the pan off. An exterior hairline crack may or may not be the result of further interior damage. Obviously, the fact that its leaking proves the crack is completely through the pan...regardless of the ability to fix this particular pan, I think its important to further investigate the cause, ensure extense of further damage for safety and reliability, etc by pulling off the pan.

Posted via Topify on Android

Yup and it's gonna be an oily mess under that sob!!! Really not looking fwd to this.

That's why you empty it and clean it. No point in trashing what might be a good pan otherwise.

Clean it and fix it but run the risk of it cracking out again? That's the bigger issue I'm debating.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
There is the risk that welding it up can make the mating surface twist/curl a little. That can lead to stress when bolting it back up which can lead to a future crack. Maybe that's why it cracked in the first place since there wasn't any damage to the pan other than the crack?

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I may just try to temporarily seal the leak and replace the pan this winter. I measured the MMR pan last night and it measures 7" from the bottom of the block. Where most road race pans are 6 1/2" tall and would afford more ground clearance. Replace the pan, fix the leak and gain ground clearance at the same time.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Feel free to send it in to us, we can weld it for you for no charge! Out of curiosity how old is the pan and when was it purchased?

Also just noticed this post from you:

Got wide this weekend and caught the right corner of my splitter in some thick grass. It ripped the right rear tabs off the bumper cover back by the wheel well opening.

Took the two bolts off the fender and the bracket fell out. Is there a way to reattach the bumper cover now?

If you did this much damage to the bumper it may likely have been the source or the damage to the pan, the grass or dirt would likely not have left a mark....either way, we are happy to help!!

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
The pan was leaking before I dropped off two wheels. It's an old pan probably purchased in '05 or early '06. Best bet is to replace it with a pan that has better ground clearance.

The off wasn't violent, I dropped off the right side wheels and the bumper cover was damaged because I didn't reinforce the stock bumper cover enough after installing a cobra r splitter. If the cobra r splitter hadn't been on the car the front bumper wouldn't have a mark on it from going off.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Why dont you send it in and we will chop some of the sump off for better clearance and re-powder coat it for you - no charge to help you out! Ask for Mark if you decide to do this. Best of luck either way!

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Why dont you send it in and we will chop some of the sump off for better clearance and re-powder coat it for you - no charge to help you out! Ask for Mark if you decide to do this. Best of luck either way!

Wow that's damn generous and appreciated. I'll get the pan off here and give you a call.

Can't argue with that offer in terms of customer service.

Definitely not!

Users who are viewing this thread