Hagerty | The ZR-1 was too expensive to succeed — but too good to ignore

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
Looked interesting. Have it in my history to watch later. Bad to the bone cars for sure

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

hoamskilet

Established Member
Cool story/vid. That generation of Vette was so bleh looking

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Iirc the FL highway patrol bought a few zr1 back in the 90s

Anyway...cool as hell cars and engines...perhaps just a hair ahead of thier time

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Anyone interested in the history of the ZR1 should watch this video. I learned a few things watching it. My son-in-law used to own a '93 ZR1, bought with around 150 miles on the odometer. At the time, it had legendary performance. By today's standards, "okay" performance. I remember one time I was cruising in my '94 Callaway Camaro (450hp) and came across a 405hp ZR1. I stayed with him up to around 60 and then he pulled away. I didn't expect to beat him. But it was fun.

_Snake_

Established Member
My friend’s dad bought a new ‘91 and ridiculously let us 16 year olds take it out with it set on kill. Such an awesome sleeper. Few people even knew what a ZR-1 was back then, and those that did thought the 2 teenagers badged a regular Vette. Good times. I know I have a pic of me driving solo in front of my parent’s house somewhere. I’ll do some digging tomorrow.

Edit - found it.
1C6E73FC-5195-4880-81D5-35D4B81E0DCA.jpeg

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
They've been fairly inexpensive to buy over the past couple of years, usually going for $25K-$30K at auction depending on mileage and condition. However, I see a '93 ZR1 with the 40th Anniversary Package (6,000 miles) sold for $55,200 on 11/18/21. I don't know that was a fluke or due to the big upswing of older muscle car sales at auction.

My son-in-law bought his '93 ZR1 with around 150 miles (still in the wrapper) back around 2012 for $33K if I remember right. He passed a few years ago due to an incurable brain disease and my daughter had to sell it locally for around $25K. Looking at what the buyer of this BAT paid last month for a 6K miles '93 ZR1, I wish she had held onto it.

Users who are viewing this thread