H&R Race with MM Torque Arm???

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
Are any of you guys running a Maximum Motorsports panhard/torque arm setup with H&R Race springs? If you are, does it feel too soft?

Teej281

Established Member
If you already have the springs I'd say roll with it. If not get either full coilovers or front coilovers with torque arm springs from MM in the back.

Bullitt2655

'01 Bullitt
Established Member
I'm running H&R Super Race springs and the MM Panhard Bar/Trq Arm/Bilstein setup. I don't find it too soft. I first installed the panhard bar alone, then the TA, springs and Bilsteins. You have to upgrade your dampers to get a good ride. The ride improved dramatically, as did the handling after the springs, etc were installed. I autocross the car regularly with my son and it works great. Currently running Kumho V710 tires 275/40/17

Back-N-Black

Established Member
I'm running H&R Super Race springs and the MM Panhard Bar/Trq Arm/Bilstein setup. I don't find it too soft. I first installed the panhard bar alone, then the TA, springs and Bilsteins. You have to upgrade your dampers to get a good ride. The ride improved dramatically, as did the handling after the springs, etc were installed. I autocross the car regularly with my son and it works great. Currently running Kumho V710 tires 275/40/17

I have an opportunity to get a set of H&R 51659-88 Race Springs for a great price. My question is this a good first suspension upgrade start for auto-x and open track days on a 03 cobra? I would like to start if FS so not even sure they are class legal.

The FS question aside, what strut/shock setup, etc would you recommend for auto-x and open track days. Part numbers are always welcomed. :)

Bullitt2655

'01 Bullitt
Established Member
I have an opportunity to get a set of H&R 51659-88 Race Springs for a great price. My question is this a good first suspension upgrade start for auto-x and open track days on a 03 cobra? I would like to start if FS so not even sure they are class legal.

The FS question aside, what strut/shock setup, etc would you recommend for auto-x and open track days. Part numbers are always welcomed. :)

Sorry, i missed this reply way back when. My first upgrade on the Bullitt was welded in full length subframe connectors. I would do this or something like the matrix system to stiffen the chassis.

I would suggest e-mailing MM with your questiosn, they haven't led me wrong yet.

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
I'm running HR race springs up front, but running MM's TA springs in the rear. I do get quite a bit of nose dive still.

Bilstein HD's, MM Torque arm /Panhard bar, MM adj LCA's are the main components of the suspension.

nosedive.jpg

RcodeStang

Established Member

Did the rear get noticeable softer after you added the TA? I don't have money for a TA + coilovers at once and I don't want to buy the stock location TA springs if they're going to get replaced with COs eventually anyway.

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
I'm running HR race springs up front, but running MM's TA springs in the rear. I do get quite a bit of nose dive still.

Bilstein HD's, MM Torque arm /Panhard bar, MM adj LCA's are the main components of the suspension.
[/IMG]

Similar set-up (Bilstein HD's, MM Panhard, MM adj LCA's, Race Springs all the way around). This is why I haven't added the TA yet. I think I'll have to swap out both front & back springs, despite what the MM site states.

Does anyone know if the non-full length round Steeda SFC will be sufficient with the TA? I know the cross member car accept the round SFC but the length is my concern....I think they're only about 3ft long IIRC.

01FR500

HPDE
Established Member
I drove my car with 350 lb front coilovers and the 415-515 lb MM T/A springs without a T/A but with a PHB and the stock upper control arms for a while before getting the T/A. Without the T/A the rear was very stiff and limited in roll due to bind. This resulted in limited rear traction. After the the addition of the T/A the rear felt softer and gained tons of traction. Kind of the reverse of what was asked but figured it might be helpful information.

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
I recently questioned MM on this issue (I hope they don’t mind me passing on the info) - - the gist of it was that if I were to keep the H&R race up front, then going with the H&R Super Race rear would be good “for most street use”. They recommended going with the softer MM T/A springs for autocrossing with the addition of their MM-valved Sport shocks.

If I went with the MM T/A springs instead of the Super Race, could I keep my existing Bilstein HDs or are the T/A spring rates too aggressive for these dampers?

Although I will be contacting MM again for additional info, does anyone have any real-world experience?

Users who are viewing this thread