h or x pipe

=fast=

Established Member
Whats the different on the h pipe and the x pipe with out cats, wich one will sound better.

MattP 343

Established Member
Generally on these cars if you are taking the Cats off you are asking for trouble if you are running a flow through muffler without resonators as most who have done it report Trumpeting...If you are going to remove the cats, regardless of mid, your best bet is to run a chambered muffler

With that said, I would choose Mac's prochamber first, closely followed by the H and blatantly would NOT run an offroad X. A guy I know runs an Off Road X with Bassani axleback and words cannot describe how horrible it sounds...Literally

Kenny_LSU

Established Member
i would say anything o/r with a chambered muffler sounds like crap. the best thing i have heard is an o/r h with a mid muffler system using magnapacks.

=fast=

Established Member
Thats what i want a preety deep sound not to loud, i got shorty headers with ford racing mufflers, no h or x pipe thats why im asking what will sound better.

blueovalfan

Established Member
I had a 2000GT with stock logs and midpipe with a magnaflow "strait through performance" catback it sounded ALOT better than my 06 with SLP's. I lookin to change here shortly also was gonna go with an o/r X.

Stang925

Established Member
yea couldnt agree with everybody here more. x pipes and removing cats to raspy unless u have a charmbered flow. also I've heard that a lot of catless h pipes thrumpet alot. but there are a lot a good mixes of exhaust set ups out there that sound really good. like my favorite that i heard on youtube.com is a 2005 mustang gt with kooks LTs,kooks mid pipe an O/R x, and a magnaflow magnapacks catback, sounds pretty nice. i think one of the best sounding exhuasts i have heard yet. that and the bassani O/R x pipe and some flowmaster american thunder.

ItsACobraSon

Established Member
I have a 99 Cobra with LTs, or X Pipe and Flowmaster American Thunder. Just crusin its sounds mean; at lower RPMs and stepin on it you get some "trumpeting" but that goes away once you hit the power band.

doubletrouble

The Mad Scientist
Established Member
My Shelby GT has the ford racing mufflers and I'm running Off road H! I get compliments all the time. Everybody and their mom has an X pipe.

I need to get a video soon.

Last edited:

96supersnake

Established Member
My Shelby GT has the ford racing mufflers and I'm running Off road H! I get compliments all the time. Everybody and their mom has an X pipe.

I need to get a video soon.

I got the Roush offroads and offroad H. and it sounds good , just a small amount of pinging , not to bad!

MattP 343

Established Member
I got the Roush offroads and offroad H. and it sounds good , just a small amount of pinging , not to bad!
Pinging???

Or did you mean trumpeting?

yea couldnt agree with everybody here more. x pipes and removing cats to raspy unless u have a charmbered flow. also I've heard that a lot of catless h pipes thrumpet alot. but there are a lot a good mixes of exhaust set ups out there that sound really good. like my favorite that i heard on youtube.com is a 2005 mustang gt with kooks LTs,kooks mid pipe an O/R x, and a magnaflow magnapacks catback, sounds pretty nice. i think one of the best sounding exhuasts i have heard yet. that and the bassani O/R x pipe and some flowmaster american thunder.

:rockon:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukoZt09SZ6w"]YouTube - 2005 Mustang GT Kooks LT, Magnapacks Acceleration Exhaust[/ame]

Last edited:

Stang925

Established Member
yea mattp 343 thats the one i was talking about to me thats the best sounding exhaust that i have heard.

MattP 343

Established Member
yea mattp 343 thats the one i was talking about to me thats the best sounding exhaust that i have heard.
Same here, but I talked to the guy and he admitted that the camera made the setup sound slightly deeper than it really is-- plus there is a tad bit of trumpeting at certain rpm points... Kind of a bummer, but I think I would need to hear it in person to make up my mind completely

It seems like Ive had exhausts that sound completly badass at Idle or at WOT but never both... :( Looks like the search continues LOL

silverstang23

Established Member
while we are on the subject. What are your opinions on what high flow cats will do for the sound. I have flowmaster 40's on my 08 gt. I have a set of kooks lt's. I have not installed them yet. They need high flow cat's and mid pipe. What will that do for that sound of the flows?

wickedsvt2002

Established Member
h-pipe for the deep muscle car sound. x-pipes are way to raspy. Dare I say almost rice sounding. I had LT headers, o/r x pipe and SLP catback on an 04 Mach 1 I used to have and it sounded ricey.

96supersnake

Established Member
Last edited:

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
I run a Offroad X and Zoomers axleback which is a straight thru muffler. Before i had offroad X and stock mufflers and it would trumpet alot around 2500rpm. Zoomers axleback definatly helped get rid of most the trumpeting. The offroad X is definatly a little raspy for my taste, i wish i had gone catted X. I am however definatly glad i put the zoomers axleback on, it really helped tone down the raspiness of the offroad X and gave it a deeper sound. I will say my setup sounds great at idle and wide open throttle, however at 2500ish rpms i do get a little hint of trumpeting.

Users who are viewing this thread