H/E how-to. (with pics)

brian_svt

Established Member
I just refilled mine through the resivoir. Just try to burp it when you are done and make sure you get all the air pcokets out of it. Pretty straight forward and easy to do.

Chris

im pretty sure you might be tired of answering this but im still new to having a supercharged car. I've changed radiators plenty of times but never a heat exchanger, by the looks of it, seems pretty simple. Just disconnecting the hose on the HE will drain all the fluid? and could you describe what burping means, not really to sure how to do that or maybe i do just probably use a different term than burping. thanks

OH3BLKSVT

Screwed by the twins
Established Member
thanks for the write up, i will be doing this very shortly since i am moving to arizona!!

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
Installed an AFCO Pro Heat Exchanger on mine today. Piece of cake. I didn't remove the bumper. Hardest part was trying to remember where the right hand splash shield flap was supposed to go.

Installed an AFCO Pro Heat Exchanger on mine today. Piece of cake. I didn't remove the bumper. Hardest part was trying to remember where the right hand splash shield flap was supposed to go.

You really didn't have to remove the bumper? It is super tight down there. Don't mean to doubt you but its just tight in there...

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
You really didn't have to remove the bumper? It is super tight down there. Don't mean to doubt you but its just tight in there...

Jacked up the car and did everything from underneath. It wasn't too bad at all. I don't have alot of confidence in myself to work on my Cobra (for fear of screwing something up), so I was proud of myself for doing this with no issue.

Jacked up the car and did everything from underneath. It wasn't too bad at all. I don't have alot of confidence in myself to work on my Cobra (for fear of screwing something up), so I was proud of myself for doing this with no issue.
:beer:

You know what...I'm going to try it myself based on your 'I don't have a lot of confidence in myself' comment. Gonna see what I end up with. :thumbsup:

4601S/C

Established Member
But how do you burp the intercooler system?

There are a few methods. I used a manual fluid transfer pump & finished by using my mouth. It sounds unusual, but it seems to have worked very well. My car has a 60(coolant)/40(water), and temps are within Ford specs (40* F above IAT1). Pump the transfer pump in the system's normal flow direction, send the return line at the reservoir to a bottle. Once you see your mix flowing (I flushed my system with water before refilling it with the mix) through blow into the reservoir till you've gotten as much air out as possible. Then, button up the system to test your work.

Hybbs

Established Member
Nice write up. I just installed my LFP heat exchanger this morning. Took me a couple of hours. Took the bumper off, just a whole lot easier to access everything. I used the instructions from LFP along with your write up. The LFP heat exchanger does away with a lot of the hoses and tubing that is there with the stock H/E. The LFP H/E has the inlet and outlet on the passenger side. The stock H/E had the inlet and outlet on opposite sides. The LFP H/E also has a nice convenient petcock on the drivers side of the H/E. That should make it easy for future coolant changes. I made a jumper cable where the intercooler pump relay panel is and ran the pump while I blew into the reservoir until all the air was forced out. Worked well and only took a few minutes. The LFP H/E looks awesome, is twice the size as OEM, and should work well in these hot Florida summers. Thanks for the awesome write up...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread