H/E how-to. (with pics)

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
I ordered my LFP H/E yesterday and I should be getting my bigger intercooler resivoir this week. Anybody want a "how-to" write up on these? I am hoping to get my car back this week, and get it done this weekend, but there is no gurantee I will get the car back. More than likely I will do this on the lift so I can get some better pictures. Let me know.

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
Ok, we got the LFP H/E installed tonight and the Intercooler Resivour installed. The whole ordeal took about 2 hours for both. Here are the pictures and some instructions on how to do it. I hope this helps, sorry for the delay:

We took the front bumper off to make it easier to install and do the pictures. There are 10 total clips/nuts holding on the bumper. (4) 10mm nuts, (2) phillips head screws, and 4 retaining pins:

2 Retaining pins on the edge of the painted surface by the headlight:
DSCF0343.jpg

2 phillips head screws on the inner fenderwell, 1 per side:
DSCF0344.jpg

2 Retaining pins under the bumper, 1 per side:
DSCF0350.jpg

(2) 10mm bolts in the fender on each side where the bumper meets the fender:
DSCF0349.jpg

Disconnect the fog lights:
DSCF0345.jpg

Pull the bumper off by pulling the fender sides out so the bolts come out, then slide the bumper off by pulling it away from the car.

Disconnect the hose on the passenger side and let it drain:
DSCF0351.jpg

Unbolt the (4) 8mm bolts from the lower bracket, 2 under each side:
DSCF0353.jpg

Disconnect the drivers side hose. This is easy to do once you lower down the H/E (sorry no picture)

Remove the (4) 8mm bolts holding the brackets together, 2 each side:
DSCF0357.jpg

Remove the 10mm nut on the back of the passenger side bracket holding the hose bracket to the H/E bracket:
DSCF0358.jpg

Once you have the brackets off, you will need to bend them in order for the lager H/E to fit. Bend the bracket out away from the rubber bushing, and then bend the bracket about 1.5-2" down from the first bend, back in towards the center (parallel):
DSCF0360.jpg

Mount the brackets in reverse order of removal. Once the brackets are in place, slide the H/E up, connect the drivers side hose, and mount the H/E. It took both of us to get this up there and mounted. The kit came with (4) 8mm bolts and spacers. You need 3 spacers per bolt in order to get it to fit. You also need to add 1 spacer to the 10mm bolt that hold the hose bracket to the H/E bracket. This needs to go between the 2 brackets. Kind of a poor picture but you can see the silver between the brackets:
DSCF0361.jpg

DSCF0362.jpg

DSCF0364.jpg

Tighten all 4 of those bolts up, connect the passenger side hose. The hose bracket needed to be bent by the spacer in order for us to get the hose to connect to the H/E. Reinstall the bumper in reverse order of removal.

Comparison:
DSCF0354.jpg

DSCF0355.jpg

DSCF0370.jpg

If you guys have any questions, let me know. Hope this helps.

Chris

Last edited:

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
Thanks guys! I figured I might as well do a write up on it since I was doing the install anyway. Thought it would help others out who may be kind of hesitant about doing it themselves. It is pretty much a 1 person job, but it was nice having the 2nd set of hands with the bumper, and getting the new bolts to fit in at the spacers. This was done on Rino ramps in the garage. Hope it helps at least 1 person out!

Chris

Z-COBRA

Bling & Zing
Established Member
Great and very informative.this should become a stcky in the how to threads.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
Yes that's the stencil that came with the LFP unit. Mark was offering free stenciling when I ordered this one. I drove 45 miles one way to the track yesterday. Temps were in the 50's. When I got there I opened the resivoir and it was still nice and cold. :beer:

Chris

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I am not real crazy about the stenciling. It isn't in the COBRA font.

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
Chris_H said:
I guess thats why it's on my car, and not yours :rolleyes:
That was meant as "thats why the stenciling in that font is on my car, and not yours." I understand there is other stenciling out there, and everybody has their own taste.

03snake03

Established Member
Chris H, Thanks for the pics, great write up. Any chance you could write up something for the coolant refill procedure? I have heard that getting the fluid to flow back in the system can be tough and what did you do to be sure no air got trapped in the system.
Thx

chevysRslow

Established Member
Great write up!! That will come in handy one of these days.

Any of you guys with new HE's and/or reservoirs want to sell your stock pieces cheap?? Looking for one of each... Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread