Guys with headers...

Homer Jay

Established Member
Thinking about getting headers.

Guys with headers, what are your impressions? X or H pipe? Cats or no cats? What are your other mods? Are you running the stock axle back mufflers? I am thinking about adding ARH 1 7/8" to a 13-5 kit possibly with no additional boost but wondering if I need a bigger supercharger to really benefit from headers...

Thanks.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
My headers with H pipe just arrived in the mail today. I await the rest of the 13-6 kit, but think that any car would benefit from headers. Stay tuned for an updated installation procedure. Dale Baker started a great one, and I will just build on what he started adding some photos and tool tips.

Homer Jay

Established Member
My headers with H pipe just arrived in the mail today. I await the rest of the 13-6 kit, but think that any car would benefit from headers. Stay tuned for an updated installation procedure. Dale Baker started a great one, and I will just build on what he started adding some photos and tool tips.

Are you doing a pulley with the 13-6 kit? If so, upper or lower?

dennisdiecast

Established Member
i did SW headers w/ ORH pipe this winter along with 13-6 kit (lower pulley) and so far its been great! Just need to do more data logging to get the tune properly dialed in, (haven't been able to do a 3rd gear WOT pull for datalog since it's still a little cold where i am and i need better tires)

Homer Jay

Established Member
i did SW headers w/ ORH pipe this winter along with 13-6 kit (lower pulley) and so far its been great! Just need to do more data logging to get the tune properly dialed in, (haven't been able to do a 3rd gear WOT pull for datalog since it's still a little cold where i am and i need better tires)

Are you experiencing knock or something else with the tune?

GT500wantabe

Established Member
I've gotten a negative knock reading (which apparently is ok), but i'm getting some occasional cylinder misfires when going over 4k rpm... normal driving is completely fine.
Misfire in the upper rpm range is usually too wide spark plug gap. With high boost it can blow the flame out with wide gap.

fearthesnake

Established Member
I'm thinking about headers myself. Have Lethal off road X pipe, intake and 3.73 gears with stock mufflers and tuned by Dan at Pro Dyno. Cars sounds really great between 2-2.5K RPM range cruising.

Put down 664HP, 651 TQ on the dyno. Really want to find the stock SVTPP rear 11" rims and run 305 or 315s cause with those gears now it's just awful trying get to hook.

Sinultros

Unnaturally Aspirated
Established Member
i did SW headers w/ ORH pipe this winter along with 13-6 kit (lower pulley) and so far its been great!

Looks similar to my plan. I've ordered the SW full exhaust with O/R h-pipe about a week ago and is planning on having that installed with a pulley, TB, and tune.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
Thinking about getting headers.

Guys with headers, what are your impressions? X or H pipe? Cats or no cats? What are your other mods? Are you running the stock axle back mufflers? I am thinking about adding ARH 1 7/8" to a 13-5 kit possibly with no additional boost but wondering if I need a bigger supercharger to really benefit from headers...

Thanks.

I did the ARH 1 7/8 with O/R h running through stock mufflers, other mods were cams TB and tune. Love it ! Picked up 120 to the tires while dropping boost by 3lbs

dennisdiecast

Established Member
Misfire in the upper rpm range is usually too wide spark plug gap. With high boost it can blow the flame out with wide gap.

I have them set at 0.28 like Van suggested but i will recheck them to make sure

Are you running a colder set of plugs? GT500wantabe has a point..

I'm running the NGK TR8IX, I was finally able to do a decent 3rd gear pull for data logging yesterday since it was warmer out, so i'm going to submit it to Lund and hopefully see whats going on. During the pull i still got cylinder misfires...

Homer Jay

Established Member
Another question...how many of you header guys are lowered? I have the Revan Racing suspension kit with Eibach Pro Kit springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

04whitesvtlight

the beast is almost mine
Established Member
Another question...how many of you header guys are lowered? I have the Revan Racing suspension kit with Eibach Pro Kit springs.

I have the exact suspension setup as you with AR long tubes and lowering motor mounts. I haven't had any issues at all with clearance besides the front lower splitter hitting everything. But be warned installing headers is a huge bitch you have to unbolt the motor mounts and pull them out then jack the motor up 2+ inches to get them to go up in there. My hands looked like ground beef when I got done I generally enjoy doing all my mods but I didn't enjoy any part of that.

Homer Jay

Established Member
I have the exact suspension setup as you with AR long tubes and lowering motor mounts. I haven't had any issues at all with clearance besides the front lower splitter hitting everything. But be warned installing headers is a huge bitch you have to unbolt the motor mounts and pull them out then jack the motor up 2+ inches to get them to go up in there. My hands looked like ground beef when I got done I generally enjoy doing all my mods but I didn't enjoy any part of that.

Thanks! Yeah I've installed headers on a Lightning and a 67 Mustang Fastback, that's enough. I'm going to pay to have the headers installed this time around.

Users who are viewing this thread