Guys using E-85 Check your fuel filters!!

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
I was thinking, Sleeper says the black stuff is from the magnets and others say the brushes.

One of you should try running one of these....

FilterMAG: Magnetic Oil Filters finish the Job Your Filter Started.

...on the outside of the fuel filter. If the black stuff is metal or part of the magnet as stated, this should pick it up?

Instead of clogging the filter, this will pull the gunk to the inside metal of the filter.

VenomSVT03

CRUSHER
Established Member
Brush or magnets, doesn't matter. It means the pumps aren't meant to be used with Ethanol period. Since i switched to the 465s my filter is clean as a whistle, no more black residue

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
Black residue has nothing to do with the pumps to my knowledge (it's the fuel line degrading due to running e85), but the end result is that it will clog the filter and make the pumps die prematurely.

VenomSVT03

CRUSHER
Established Member
Black residue has nothing to do with the pumps to my knowledge (it's the fuel line degrading due to running e85), but the end result is that it will clog the filter and make the pumps die prematurely.

On page 4 of this thread, look for the fuel pump cut open and the magnets had that black residue on them

Last edited:

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member

On page 4 of this thread, look for the fuel pump cut open and the magnets had that black residue on them

Yeah, I've swabbed and bore scoped lines on e85 systems at the shop, lines are clean. The filter is plugged, screens at the injectors are spotless. That means the stuff is coming from the tank and getting caught by the filter. The residue I have back-flushed out of the filters has been nonmagnetic, looks like graphite powder and is coming from premature brush wear.

Helomech74

Established Member
I run a 10 Micron stainless filter, much easier to just pull and clean it out then to buy new filters all the time. I had the same issues as most of the folks here with the dirty filters, we concluded that it was the pump brushes and magnets wearing out. I changed the pump to a Magnafuel pump and no more issues.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
wonder which filter assembly's those fit

checked with LP

The filter elements will only fit our housing, possibly Fore's housings

Last edited:

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
The residue I have back-flushed out of the filters has been nonmagnetic, looks like graphite powder and is coming from premature brush wear.

Well there goes my idea. I don't understand how a magnet would not pick up something coming from metal or another magnet.

oneSVT

Established Member
the problem with blending ethanol with gas is they can put some pretty crappy stuff in and make it work with emotions and octane.

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
Well since everyone is having problems with the black residue on the filter im getting a little scared to run E-85 on my car. I will be running Triple Walbro 255's, Is anyone having an issue with the 255's, if so; I'll have to purchase new pumps, damn!

Users who are viewing this thread