Guys using E-85 Check your fuel filters!!

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
I'm with Kevin. I just went through this a few months ago. It turned out that I had about 3 foot of incompatible fuel line in my system. Made my filters black but did not have dark grey residue coming of the element as we can see on your fingers.

Is it possible that when you filled up, the gas station's tank was low or something? and maybe you picked up a bunch of sediment that gathered on the bottom of their tank? I'm out of guesses if it's not that.

Are all your fuel lines from Lethal? If not I would check those first. When you check, the inside of the fuel line will be breaking down. What I did to test was to look at the inside of the line while it was wet with E85. Rub the inside of the line with your fingers and you will see the residual fuel on the inside of the line turn black. When it dries on your hands, it will leave black residue. I hope this helped in some way. Good luck.

Richie

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The standard Fragola line Lethal sell with all their kits

Leo,
Were you running the same Fragola hose with E85 before you went to the new return system?

If so did you ever notice any issues with the filter elements then?

VenomSVT03

CRUSHER
Established Member
Leo,
Were you running the same Fragola hose with E85 before you went to the new return system?

If so did you ever notice any issues with the filter elements then?

Jared, I've been using your system since 08 when i had my previous Cobra (I've bought 3 complete system between the 2 cars), with the Fragola lines. So in the last 4 years, and the last 2 being strictly e85 use i never had an issue. But then again this is the first time i checked my fuel filter with my own eyes

VenomSVT03

CRUSHER
Established Member
Ok, i pulled the feed line in a couple different places and its clean as a whistle, so that rules out the lines being the issue. I will check the filter again in a month and see how it looks, maybe it was just the winter e85 blend or maybe my tank was still dirty. Here is a pic of how clean the line was inside

clean.jpg

KlugSS

Established Member
My jegs 350 an line was also clean, and the tank was brand new when I switched to e85. I still had a gunked up filter.

Mystic03

Established Member
To run E-85 you should run the PTFE Teflon coated hose because the Ethanol will begin to breakdown the hose. OP you didnt mention which hose your running, Im just curious unless I missed it.

with what proof does this actually occure of the fuel "breaking" the hose down?

sabotage

corn fed!!!!!!
Established Member
Didnt read the whole postings but to my understanding its wize to run a stainless element fuel filter with e85.....ill take a pic of mine but thats what i have. And fragola line is crap mine stinked real bad switch to earl no smell anymore....

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
Ok, i pulled the feed line in a couple different places and its clean as a whistle, so that rules out the lines being the issue. I will check the filter again in a month and see how it looks, maybe it was just the winter e85 blend or maybe my tank was still dirty. Here is a pic of how clean the line was inside

clean.jpg

So are you thinking that it's the station where your getting the e85 from now...ie something has changed recently there considering your line appears to be fine from your test swabs? It's definately weird that you weren't having an issue and now you are.

gaspasr

Established Member
My car is hesitating past 4k rpm... New fuel system 600 miles ago and e85...going to check fuel filter
So what's best? Paper or stainless. I was going to order the oem replacement but saw the summit paper elements that o4sleeper suggested. Do those fit in the OEM filter?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Paper will filter down to 10 microns. Most stainless filters range anywhere between 25-100 microns.

I would rather have more filtration and replace a cartridge with the paper filter.

The filter I ran on my old car was a Summit Racing -8 filter. It was not stock. I had it run in-line in the -8 fuel line that I upgraded from the fuel hat to the rails.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
I have put 8 tank fulls of E85 thru out the last 6 months.. I check the filter about a week ago and it looks like new... I wonder if its where your getting it from??

2012-11-25113152.jpg

I've swapped mine 2x now in the 2.5 yrs I've had mine, both time the filter looked good, probably could have even left it in. (probably about 3200-3300 miles on them when swapped)

Paper will filter down to 10 microns. Most stainless filters range anywhere between 25-100 microns.

I would rather have more filtration and replace a cartridge with the paper filter.

+1 I read a whole lot of "fear" posting on using a paper filter, however, in my experience, the filters look and feel exactly the same after being in the car for a year as when they are going in new.

I have a Aeromotive Filter and the Lethal Kit that they sold about 3 yrs ago.

safado

bleed'n blue
Established Member
I would suggest thet those of you getting clogged filters get a one gallon gas can and take a sample of the fuel your pumping into the car... with it you have some to test its content and you can see if there is anything floating around in there.. if its moonshine clear.. then that black stuff is coming from somewhere else.. I do this at every fill up and actually saved my ass once when i was running out of fuel on my way to get some.. "oh ya... I have that one gallon in the trunk.."

Swervedriver

Established Member
I had an aeromotive paper filter separate it's cellulose into snot and I am not one to exaggerate or pass on word of mouth as my own experience. I pulled the filter out and the inlet side had a bunch of boogers on it, and on the inside (outlet side) there was a big booger right in the middle. That's what led me to making an injector flow test bench.

Nothing but stainless for me from now on.

Last edited:

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
I posted a thread like this awhile ago...

My car came from California and has been on e85 for two years with no issues.
I got the car here in MO, filled it up a few times and started having all kinds of problems with my fuel pressure drop. Filter was clogged to hell, replaced it, now my pressure is still dropping, I am thinking this shit got into my injectors. I know for a fact that it isn't a fuel component related problem, have to be our shitty gas stations here.

Going to pull them off and have them cleaned and see how they look.

I read a bunch of threads on evo and talon forums (with horrible pictures) of clogged injectors that look like they have 3 inches of sticky tar on tips of them...

Users who are viewing this thread