Gun Guys - California Questions

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Hey SVTP,

Hopefully this is acceptable to be here as I just had a few questions about guns and the laws of ownership from private party sales in California and are hoping to find some people here that have experience with it.

I sold a Shotgun to a guy in California and per his FFL, they are saying he cannot start the background check until AFTER they receive the gun.

Anyone here able to verify this and have experience with something of this nature?

Thanks guys!
-Chris

Machdup1

Established Member
They are correct. They probably need to physically verify the Serial Number before starting the background check. As I recall it goes on the application (Form 4473, Box 26) and if they submit false/incorrect documentation or requests, they run the risk of losing their FFL. BTW, that is a Federal Background check.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Now, since this is FFL to FFL, why can't they use that information from the FFL they are receiving the gun from?

Seems odd.

I've bought several guns out of state, had them transferred to my FFL and I go there, fill out a portion of the paper work to get the background check done. Once they receive the gun, they validate the serial number and record it, wait for the waiting period to pass and I come back in, sign and date the day I take possession of the firearm.

I've filled many a 4473 forms and this struck me as odd.

bglf83

Established Member
They probably do this to deter gun sales. Infringe would be the correct word.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I am surprised you found an FFL willing to even ship to CA. Many won't.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
They are correct. They probably need to physically verify the Serial Number before starting the background check. As I recall it goes on the application (Form 4473, Box 26) and if they submit false/incorrect documentation or requests, they run the risk of losing their FFL. BTW, that is a Federal Background check.
This, if you don't do things to the T, especially for CA it can create a huge headache and not so fun times with the ATF.

I am surprised you found an FFL willing to even ship to CA. Many won't.
Most won't, including myself. For what I charge, the headaches just aren't worth the sale.

Users who are viewing this thread