Gun Collectors

MarlboroMan

Established Member
I have this argument with everybody and wondered what some of the gurus on here do. The question is, who in here keeps empty magazines in their pistols when theyre not in use? Long-term or Short-term storage while its in your safe, doesnt matter.

Another question is, who rides the hammer forward on any of their pistols? Whether youre clearing it out, cleaning, its loaded or unloaded. Just anytime you rack the slide, who eases the hammer down?

Last edited:

x_man586

Going to UTI
Established Member
I never leave an empty magazine in any of my firearms, however on the pistols that have hammers I ease them down. It seems to me that the more times that I drop the hammer the sooner it wears out. ie the hammer spring, firing pin. On your 1911's if you have a round chambered you have to ease the hammer down. It does not have a decocker.

Last edited:

slick4_6

Established Member
I keep the magazines full, the chambers empty, and always ride the hammer down before flipping the decocker. If I ever had to use one, I'm sure the pump action on my shotgun, slide on my 9mm, or bolt on my AR-10 would catch a bad guys attention as it was slamming shut.

x_man586

Going to UTI
Established Member
The sound of the slide on a pump shotgun sliding home is one of the sounds a burgular does not want to hear upon entering a house.

Bird

Old and tired............
Established Member
All they'll hear in my house is 'Click, click' as I slowly ease back the hammers on my 12 ga. coach gun....................................

Bird

Om3ga47

PIIHB
Established Member
I keep 5 rounds max when not in use,as to not weaken the magazine spring,as well if you cant defend yourself against an intruder in 5 shots there is something wrong.

MarlboroMan

Established Member
All of my guns are kept unloaded...except one which is ready to rock at my discretion.

Well of course I dont mean a loaded magazine inserted while its sittin in your safe or wherever.

These questions arise from subjects on proper care of your firearms to get max life. Some people think keeping empty mags in your autos will relieve stress on anything internal that is under pressure.

Some also believe that keeping your mag loaded will extend the life of the magazine and its spring for smooth feed, which I think sounds ridiculous.

Last edited:

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Magazines are a wear item. Just like any wear item, steps can be taken to prolong the usable life span. One such step is obviously to unload the magazines when not in use. Also, I never load a magazine to full capacity but instead will load to within one round of capacity so as to not fully compress the magazine. For those of you who keep a firearm loaded for personal defense/carry purposes, you should consider swapping magazines every three to four weeks. Unload the magazine that's not in use & allow the spring to decompress for a month. Having a gun that will only fire once then jam because the magazine spring is weakened is not much better than not having a firearm at all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread