Guitar lovers enter

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
In NYC for the David Gilmour guitar collection auction.

Attachments

• 9D650FCC-ED9E-4E3C-B1A5-856A20CA072F.jpeg
    9D650FCC-ED9E-4E3C-B1A5-856A20CA072F.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 365

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Will post more pictures when I get back from the trip.
Hoping to grab a piece of history!

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
I will be bidding on a few. I have a better chance of getting a 2020 GT500 for invoice.
I anticipate most of these will sell
For well over their range.

Last edited:

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
The infamous “wish you were here” 12 string

Attachments

• CEB17BF1-0280-499F-9F0D-F8102898374D.jpeg
    CEB17BF1-0280-499F-9F0D-F8102898374D.jpeg
    250.6 KB · Views: 336

CV355

_
Established Member
So, those are actual Gilmours... Wow. That's several million dollars there. Like, well over $50M in that room.

Considering I find far less iconic "artist" guitars going on Reverb for $300k+... Wow.

I have been thinking of taking guitar lessons now that I have so much free time especially in the colder months.
How long realistically would it take me to be proficient?
Four weeks?

Proficient at what? In a few weeks, you should be able to alternate between some basic chord positions, know a few simple scales, know a few simpler iconic riffs. All depends on the learner though. I brought someone to Guitar Center with me in 2010, he picked up his first guitar, and had an Andy McKee-style finger-style album recorded 6 months later.

I've been playing for 21 years and I'm still learning new techniques and trying to master old ones.

Last edited:

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Correct, his personal guitars. All have been used on some album or concert at some point in Pink Floyd / Gilmour music.
This is HISTORICAL.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
So, those are actual Gilmours... Wow. That's several million dollars there. Like, well over $50M in that room.

Considering I find far less iconic "artist" guitars going on Reverb for $300k+... Wow.

Proficient at what? In a few weeks, you should be able to alternate between some basic chord positions, know a few simple scales, know a few simpler iconic riffs. All depends on the learner though. I brought someone to Guitar Center with me in 2010, he picked up his first guitar, and had an Andy McKee-style finger-style album recorded 6 months later.

I've been playing for 21 years and I'm still learning new techniques and trying to master old ones.

Proficient enough to join a band and make others proud. ;)

CV355

_
Established Member
Proficient enough to join a band and make others proud. ;)
All depends on the style of music you're going for, your natural aptitude for music, and your level of dedication to learning. Getting the most out of practice is key. Almost everyone eventually falls into a funk of just "noodling around" and calling it "practice."

I wish I had time to learn to play guitar.
I used to have far more time. From 2009 to 2011, I practiced around 4-6 hours a night. I'd get home from work around 3PM, plug in, practice non-stop. After I moved, that number went down to 2-3 hours. After I got married and my job became overly demanding, that lowered to 1hr max.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
All depends on the style of music you're going for, your natural aptitude for music, and your level of dedication to learning. Getting the most out of practice is key. Almost everyone eventually falls into a funk of just "noodling around" and calling it "practice."

I used to have far more time. From 2009 to 2011, I practiced around 4-6 hours a night. I'd get home from work around 3PM, plug in, practice non-stop. After I moved, that number went down to 2-3 hours. After I got married and my job became overly demanding, that lowered to 1hr max.
Some days I practice for 20 minutes, and other days I have a guitar in my hand all day. My playing greatly suffers if I skip practice for a few days.

Sent from my [mind] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

prs97

Established Member
If you're in NYC, I think there is also a guitar related exhibit at the Met museum currently being shown.

Curious to see how this strat does in sales compared to Clapton's Blackie & Brownie.

CV355

_
Established Member
Some days I practice for 20 minutes, and other days I have a guitar in my hand all day. My playing greatly suffers if I skip practice for a few days.

I find I get a "mental reset" if I don't practice for a while. For instance, in February I was on a business trip and couldn't bring a guitar with me. I got back and was coming up with crazy material.

That's also why I alternate between electric and acoustic every few days. Keeps the mind fresh. Same with tunings. I'm an E-standard / B-standard snob (meaning, I feel "dirty" if something is easier to play in an alternate tuning), but I do occasionally indulge in Drop C, Open C, Open Dm, Bb Standard, you name it. I leave one 7-string in Open C, and the other in B Standard.

Anybody can get a "heavy" sound with lower drop tunings. Easy peazy. It takes some skill to make E-standard sound heavy and dark.

If you're in NYC, I think there is also a guitar related exhibit at the Met museum currently being shown.

Curious to see how this strat does in sales compared to Clapton's Blackie & Brownie.

I'm wondering if your username has anything to do with guitars... Love my PRS...

And as for the sales- being for charity, that will probably drive the figures higher than if this was private market sales. Most of those guitars would be listed in the $80k-$300k range. The ultra-iconic ones could go as high as $500k-$800k in private market. Given the auction and charity, you'll probably see much larger numbers. Wouldn't surprise me if it was set up as tax deductible somehow hahaha

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread