Guess what I did... again..

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Well I had another clutch ordered today. My baby is smoking hard when you nail 4th all the other gears seem fine....... for now. I wonder if I should change my alias one of these days. :lol: Maybe my luck would change. Anyone else killing clutches this fast or is it just me?

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
16K on the stock clutch. Never dogged on it. Maybe that's why :) .

stang99

Those multiple 11's at Carlsbad were worth a clutch, weren't they? FordPartsNetwork has stock clutches fairly reasonably. I will be impressed when you become able to change your clutch at the track.

Originally posted by SoCalBlk03
Well I had another clutch ordered today. My baby is smoking hard when you nail 4th all the other gears seem fine....... for now. I wonder if I should change my alias one of these days. :lol: Maybe my luck would change. Anyone else killing clutches this fast or is it just me?

stang99

I forgot. Shorter gears will be easier on the clutch since you will be fully engaged sooner. Maybe you should throw some 3.90's or 4.10's in your car?

amwalker

the wrench
Established Member
mr. clutch killer
how is your clutch setup? is everything in there lined up correctly?
because dad and i have taken the car down the strip over 120 times, with 17,500 total miles, all on the original stock clutch. at least 40 runs on the et streets, enough to wear them down to the belts. i just don't see how your car just chews them up.

stang99

Clutch Killer has also worn out some tires too, along with the clutches. 40 runs would be a single day at LACR in the
old days. But, you've got to admit, he does get some superior 60' times. I'd like to see what he would do with ET Streets.

Originally posted by amwalker
mr. clutch killer
because dad and i have taken the car down the strip over 120 times, with 17,500 total miles, all on the original stock clutch. at least 40 runs on the et streets, enough to wear them down to the belts. i just don't see how your car just chews them up.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
Have you ever changed your clutch cable? How many clutches is that now?

I modded the original since it showed no signs of streaching or breaking. The firewall adj. and quad helped and definitely extended this clutchs' life. This will be number 4. If the servicing dealer decides not to do it I'll just get a Spec and do it myself. So I am far from complaining at this point, ;-)

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
Don't mean to beat it to death, but the Piggie has a 1.6 60ft and probably 20 1.7s on the stock clutch. There is something fundamentally wrong somewhere... Chris is not brutalizing his clutch, at least when I saw him run.

JW

Originally posted by Tetge
Clutch Killer has also worn out some tires too, along with the clutches. 40 runs would be a single day at LACR in the
old days. But, you've got to admit, he does get some superior 60' times. I'd like to see what he would do with ET Streets.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by amwalker
mr. clutch killer

The last episode of As the Clutch turns needed a rebuild as well. ie twisted input shaft, pilot sleeve, retainer etc. This clutch saw 15K mi. My car has been down the track 150+ times, about half on this clutch. Last time 2nd went out first, this time 4th go figure. I banned my wife from driving the car after the last one. I guess I can't blame her for this one. I had been feeling and smelling the warning signs well before Carlsband. Maybe I let the car sit too long while I was at training?? :shrug:

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by jhwalker
the Piggie has a 1.6 60ft and probably 20 1.7s on the stock clutch. ... Chris is not brutalizing his clutch, at least when I saw him run.

JW

:bowdown: Thanks. OBTW Beware, after I get this resolved I'll be doing everything in my power to beat the piggie at the track... on DRs and w/o spray! Wifee has authorized a cage, retune and parts. My estimated time of completion will be the winter thaw ie Feb. So you're not allowed to mod any more until then :lol:

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
"So you're not allowed to mod any more until then "

OK, sure... ;-)

:lol1: :lol1:
JW

Actually, I have no plans to add more power-creating devices. I do plan to have the clutch wear checked out and give a careful checkout to the drivetrain and anything needed there. And try for a good tune that both Adam and I fully understand. Perhaps something beyond the Predator tune we are now running.
JW

stang99

There are rumors of others who may not be going to abide by the non mod proliferation agreement. You should not be just shooting for a single target, since the cutting edge of Cobra performance keeps advancing. A street driven 10 sec car with all the a/c and such, would not appear impossible at all. Of course, when they finally close Carlsbad down, who knows where you will have to drive to to get the times? A street driven 10 sec car at LACR would definitely be all that and should be more than adequate a level of performance for most people. Hell! I'd settle for an 11 sec car at LACR and being thrown out would be the best thing that could happen to me and the car.

03_Sonic Blur

Wanna Talk? PM Me
Established Member
Originally posted by jhwalker
"So you're not allowed to mod any more until then "

OK, sure... ;-)

:lol1: :lol1:
JW

Actually, I have no plans to add more power-creating devices. I do plan to have the clutch wear checked out and give a careful checkout to the drivetrain and anything needed there. And try for a good tune that both Adam and I fully understand. Perhaps something beyond the Predator tune we are now running.
JW

James, aren't there custom tunes for the Predator? I believe there are a few dyno tuners here in SoCal who can tune your car and load the tune into the Predator for you.

Anybody know for sure?

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
Originally posted by Tetge
There are rumors of others who may not be going to abide by the non mod proliferation agreement. You should not be just shooting for a single target, since the cutting edge of Cobra performance keeps advancing. A street driven 10 sec car with all the a/c and such, would not appear impossible at all. Of course, when they finally close Carlsbad down, who knows where you will have to drive to to get the times? A street driven 10 sec car at LACR would definitely be all that and should be more than adequate a level of performance for most people. Hell! I'd settle for an 11 sec car at LACR and being thrown out would be the best thing that could happen to me and the car.

I forget -- have any of us 'street folks' had one or more 11 sec runs at LACR? I know the Piggie has not. We have a 12.14 (Adam) and a 12.16 (me). We might be 2/10s faster now, but I have found that just because the math says we should run faster does not mean we will at LACR. Too many other variables there.
JW

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
Originally posted by 03_Sonic Blur
James, aren't there custom tunes for the Predator? I believe there are a few dyno tuners here in SoCal who can tune your car and load the tune into the Predator for you.

Anybody know for sure?

Yes -- Pyro just posted. I am still a bit time challenged and am not sure that I want to introduce yet another shop and/or person into the support mix for the Oinker. It feels like I have enough cooks in the kitchen, so for a while I will just keep bitching and moaning about not having a good tune. B&D is supposed to have the software soon, so I will probably wait for that. Hell for all I know the Piggie might already have an optimum tune, it's the not knowing that bugs me.
JW

Users who are viewing this thread