GT500 vs Boss 302

prez1967

Established Member
I've driven both and since they both fall in the same price bracket I figure i'd ask some questions of current owners.

My intent is to purchase one of these two this coming winter and keep it long term. I'm the current owner of a 1993 Mustang GT for the past 19 years and its not going anywhere, i'd like to add another Mustang to my garage to compliment my current car.

I'm a bigger fan of the Boss 302 as it came from the factory and if originality was important, I'd likely go that route as it checks off 90% of the boxes for what I want in my next purchase. Maybe add a decent shifter, remove the baffles in the side pipes, etc. but I cant help but really like the styling of the 07-09 GT500s!

I mostly enjoy my cars on back roads on the weekends so thats where the GT500 seems to fall short. Being a bit more nose heavy and "floaty" than the Boss, I'm wondering if there is a Shelby or Ford supplied handling upgrade that could tighten up the GT500 to make it feel a bit lighter on its feet.

Normally I wouldnt be opposed to reaching out to a company like Maximum Motorsports (im running their full kit on my 93GT) or Griggs Racing for the upgrade but with the GT500 being "limited edition" i'd likely prefer to have something from Ford/Shelby should it exist.

Also, would the Recaro leather seats from newer GT500s simply bolt into the older cars? The seats from the early cars feel like i'm sitting on top of them more than in them...

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
The Shelby will always have the weight bias over the front end, but can be made to handle a lot better than stock. But the stock blower and intercooler system give it a bit of a handicap with heat soak on a road course. When it comes to styling, the Boss will always be... MEH! If you go Shelby, look at a '12 with the aluminum block and a set of factory Recaros. You'd make up a lot of the difference trying to purchase a set of Recaros.

I don't know how much difference there are in the seat frames, but there are guys that have gotten the electric lower seat frames retrofitted to work with the Recaro bottom and top frames. I'm guessing it's doable with an 07-09.

When I ordered my '12, I was going back and forth between the GT500 and the Boss 302. I have no regrets going with the Shelby.... other than waiting a few months for 5.8. But I have one now, so it worked out.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I've driven both and since they both fall in the same price bracket I figure i'd ask some questions of current owners.

My intent is to purchase one of these two this coming winter and keep it long term. I'm the current owner of a 1993 Mustang GT for the past 19 years and its not going anywhere, i'd like to add another Mustang to my garage to compliment my current car.

I'm a bigger fan of the Boss 302 as it came from the factory and if originality was important, I'd likely go that route as it checks off 90% of the boxes for what I want in my next purchase. Maybe add a decent shifter, remove the baffles in the side pipes, etc. but I cant help but really like the styling of the 07-09 GT500s!

I mostly enjoy my cars on back roads on the weekends so thats where the GT500 seems to fall short. Being a bit more nose heavy and "floaty" than the Boss, I'm wondering if there is a Shelby or Ford supplied handling upgrade that could tighten up the GT500 to make it feel a bit lighter on its feet.

Normally I wouldnt be opposed to reaching out to a company like Maximum Motorsports (im running their full kit on my 93GT) or Griggs Racing for the upgrade but with the GT500 being "limited edition" i'd likely prefer to have something from Ford/Shelby should it exist.

Also, would the Recaro leather seats from newer GT500s simply bolt into the older cars? The seats from the early cars feel like i'm sitting on top of them more than in them...

With your highlighted in red statement above, you would entertain items that Shelby offers for these car?

In the link below, on track with twists and turns, a BOSS 302 would have been left to find its place back in the pack of cars........

Super Snake passes them all at Buttomwillow

^^^^If this car was not a 725HP optioned, as was Shelby installed on this car, it may not have overcome all competing cars, but handing was also a large factor for this heavy nosed GT500.

Disclaimer - I see Griggs mentioned in the link above, I don't know what Shelby would offer similar to a Griggs solution...........but Shelby does offer parts to make these cars handle, most of it aftermarket with their identifiers, some of it uniquely designed for them.

R

Last edited:

prez1967

Established Member
With your highlighted in red statement above, you would entertain items that Shelby offers for these car?

In the link below, on track with twists and turns, a BOSS 302 would have been left to find its place back in the pack of cars........

Super Snake passes them all at Buttomwillow

^^^^If this car was not a 725HP optioned, as was Shelby installed on this car, it may not have overcome all competing cars, but handing was also a large factor for this heavy nosed GT500.

Disclaimer - I see Griggs mentioned in the link above, I don't know what Shelby would offer similar to a Griggs solution...........but Shelby does offer parts to make these cars handle, most of it aftermarket with their identifiers, some of it uniquely designed for them.

R

Ford or Shelby parts would be my preference. I would install myself so it wouldnt be registered with the Shelby Registry per say but I figure at least it would be "period correct?" lol

Cooling is another issue that would concern me VS the Boss but 95% of the time i'd be blasting around back roads and going on weekend day trips so I'm assuming both cars would handle that task with relative ease.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Shelby has the cooling covered also with Shelby branded items. Shown below is the standard version heat exchanger with the smaller fans and the Competition heat exchanger with the larger fans...........

010-zpseeb8247c.jpg
012-zps3b03657f.jpg

Made by C&R for Shelby, the same brand that NASCAR depends upon for an efficient flowing core.........

DSCN1740-zps2f3faee9.jpg
DSCN1741-zps30e146d3.jpg

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I would also upgrade the engine/radiator cooling fan/shroud to the larger 2013/14 version, it is a direct plug n play for the 2007-2012.......

E61-E3-EBB-89-E4-49-C1-8-C29-9-A1-A6212274-D-4520-00000522-AC6-A9618-zpsc6.jpg

D8-AC024-C-BEA2-4000-9781-7-A70497-C8-C74-4520-000005213-ABF9-E76-zps6c.jpg

R

Attachments

• 010-zpseeb8247c.jpg
    010-zpseeb8247c.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 324
  • 012-zps3b03657f.jpg
    012-zps3b03657f.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 289
  • DSCN1740-zps2f3faee9.jpg
    DSCN1740-zps2f3faee9.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 246
  • DSCN1741-zps30e146d3.jpg
    DSCN1741-zps30e146d3.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Technically the S197 Boss is more exclusive than the GT500.

Its getting a little harder to do, but you can still find companies that will sell an aluminum shortblock to take the weight penalty away on the GT500. But, that means youll need to have it installed. If you dont mind the work, its not that bad of a swap.

The Boss 302 is a geat car. I got to recon one for the used dept here at work and it put a huge smile on my face. I own a 2011 GT500 and they were 2 different feeling cars.

Test drive both to see which driving manners you like the most and take it from there. BTW, the Boss 302 shortblock is STOUT. Better rods and pistons than the 07-09 GT500s, though the GT500 crank is good to 1500 hp.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Technically the S197 Boss is more exclusive than the GT500.

Its getting a little harder to do, but you can still find companies that will sell an aluminum shortblock to take the weight penalty away on the GT500. But, that means youll need to have it installed. If you dont mind the work, its not that bad of a swap.

The Boss 302 is a geat car. I got to recon one for the used dept here at work and it put a huge smile on my face. I own a 2011 GT500 and they were 2 different feeling cars.

Test drive both to see which driving manners you like the most and take it from there. BTW, the Boss 302 shortblock is STOUT. Better rods and pistons than the 07-09 GT500s, though the GT500 crank is good to 1500 hp.

On the "100 pounds weight savings" in the nose that is widely quoted for the 2011-up GT500 because of the alum. block, does the EPS also contribute to weight savings or does the EPS motor counter the cast iron Hyd. P/S pump w/steel pulley, reservoir, rubber/steel lines and fluid and they are about even from a P/S weight stand point?..............or is the alum. block only more like an 85 pounds saving if the hyd. P/S is kept in place on an earlier car?

R

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
On the "100 pounds weight savings" in the nose that is widely quoted for the 2011-up GT500 because of the alum. block, does the EPS also contribute to weight savings or does the EPS motor counter the cast iron Hyd. P/S pump w/steel pulley, reservoir, rubber/steel lines and fluid and they are about even from a P/S weight stand point?..............or is the alum. block only more like an 85 pounds saving if the hyd. P/S is kept in place on an earlier car?

R
When I had to replace my damaged k member, I had to swap out the steering rack. It didnt feel rediculously heavy compared to a standard hydro rack. Id say that the elec rack and the entire hydraulic system style (pump, lines, fluid, rack) are a wash. Maybe a pound or two advantage overall to the elec rack.

The biggest advantage is no parasitic loss to the engine from having to spin the pump.

96gt02

Established Member
If its between a 07-09 GT500 vs a 2013 Boss.... Id go Boss all day, however if its an 11+ GT500 Id give the edge to the GT500

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
When I had to replace my damaged k member, I had to swap out the steering rack. It didnt feel rediculously heavy compared to a standard hydro rack. Id say that the elec rack and the entire hydraulic system style (pump, lines, fluid, rack) are a wash. Maybe a pound or two advantage overall to the elec rack.

The biggest advantage is no parasitic loss to the engine from having to spin the pump.

^^^^^^That is true!

R

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Probably the 10HP gained from 2010 to 2011. Also, keep in mind that a goal for the 2011+ all aluminum 5.4 /5.8 was to avoid the gas guzzler tax. It made it by one EPA mpg average, lol

Every little bit helped get there. There's no current demand from the electrical system in a straight line so no pump loss and nearly no extra load on the alternator.

shelbygt500hoss

Established Member
I live minutes from 3 mountains and I take the car over it for some fun every now and then. The car does fine, just got to know it’s limit. It is nose heavy like you said. But it charges out of corners. It’s personal preference, I’ve always preferred how the GT500s look.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Owned a 12 Boss and now an 08 GT500. They are different animals. Boss is very well balanced, all around performer/fun car. Tracked it 3 times on a long grand prix style track and it was confidence inspiring. Added Corsa Extreme mufflers, removed side baffles on the side pipes....and to me, was incredible old school sounding, especially with the track key enabled. I caught most 07-09 GT500s going around the circuit....until they hit the long back straight away....where the Supercharger HP/TQ advantage let them pull away a bit, just to have me catch them again around the twisties. :cool:

The GT500 stock, is definitely not as nimble as the Boss, but it's a lot of fun to drive with all that power to the rear wheels. I don't see many 07-09 Shelbys around when I'm cruising, and even fewer Boss 302's.

I don't think you can go wrong with either car doing the back roads. Best advice; go out and give each a drive to see for yourself. Good luck and have fun shopping!

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

R

The aluminum block actually accounted for a 120 lbs weight savings on the nose. The overall weight savings from 2010 to 2011 was 100 lbs. They took 120 lbs out of the block, but added 20 lbs back in elsewhere.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
The aluminum block actually accounted for a 120 lbs weight savings on the nose. The overall weight savings from 2010 to 2011 was 100 lbs. They took 120 lbs out of the block, but added 20 lbs back in elsewhere.

I was thinking that Modular Motorsports weighed two bare blocks with main caps installed side by side back in 2011/12, one was the 2007-2010 cast iron and the other was the new alum. block and there was 100lbs or just under 100lbs difference between the two and they posted their findings on some of the GT500 websites.........but that was a long time ago, and I could be wrong.

R

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member

R

FWIW, I've seen a few guys swap the hydraulic stuff out for the EPAS on the earlier S197's on another board. Most say the weight different between the two is pretty much a wash. The main advantage is the lack of driving the pump as someone mentioned earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread