GT500 vs 03 Cobra Vert

C6 Z06

Established Member
I have a friend with an 03 Cobra with CAI and exhaust. He's thinking about buying a GT500, so I told him he might not be as happy with the performance of the Shelby as he thinks.

I have a lot of friends with stock and modded Cobras, so I know what they can run. On Saturday he came over to my house and we set out to do some runs on the highway. My GT500 is stock with 900 miles and two of us in the car (so about 4400 lbs). My other friend was in the 03 vert by himself at about 180 lbs.

We did about 6 or 7 pulls and the cars seem to be very close in performance with having to pick one, I would give the nod to the 03 vert.

We were doing runs from about 40 and 50 mph which really seems to be a bad spot for the Shelby. It just has no TQ at that point. 1st gear would put you into red line as soon as you hit it and 2nd just didn't have the get up and go from there.

He would jump ahead a car or so almost every time and the GT500 would start reeling him in slowly after that. Between the two cars and conditions I posted earlier, it would really be a drivers race. I still think the 03/04 Cobras are and were a great bang for buck. Ford just seems to want to add weight every time it adds HP defeating the HP increase to start with. All in fun though! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread