Gt350 Looks questionable in the hp department or am I off?

sono

Established Member
So I get the gt350 is a track car, but after looking at the dyno numbers I'm not seeing it. To me it looks like a boss with a cam upgrade on a dyno graph.

I almost bought the boss instead of my gt500, but I couldn't resist the broad power band of the gt500. That's not what the gt350 looks like it would be! Ford claims broad power band.

IMO the car needed to put down 700 crank hp to live up to all this flat plane crank voodoo. I mean at 526hp
@8500rpm and this thing is looking like a lexus RCF.

I'm not trying to be negative, but somebody should say what many are thinking when it comes to hp.

Enough of the patting on the back stuff, Am I off here?

nsadams87xx

Established Member
Give me track numbers, then we'll talk horsepower numbers. I don't think 526 is unreasonable. Name one NA car under 60K that can do that.

PS, if anyone can think of one then...well, I look dumb I guess. :D

nsadams87xx

Established Member

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
^ I've driven an rcf and that weight was not noticeable, only because we couldn't pass other rcf cars on sonoma, Nascar config. Quick little car, I believe the car is within .5 seconds off the m4.
the gt350 will be a nice competitor priced lower and in lesser production numbers. I would take the gt350 over rcf or m4 easily, I love that 5.2 fpc.

Kevin P

Established Member
the GT350 has a roughly 5000rpm band of usable power. Thats huge. My GT500 is maybe 3500 rpm, basically from 2500 to 6000, and revving it that high worries me. The extra 1500rpm available will be quite noticeable and, in my opinion, fun as hell to drive. the other point I would like to make is that a short-geared, high-revving car is more fun (imho) to beat on than a torque-monster. It may not be FASTER, but its more fun and engaging. With that said, I am still driving a 565rwhp GT500 around, for now.

sono

Established Member
At 3000 rpm's it makes less than 200 hp. That's ok, but 4k looks like the point where it starts to wake up , not what I would consider a broad power band. Peak hp is 526hp, achieved at 7500 rpm, according to the dyno on SVT forums. That's a range of about 3500 rpm of usable power.

All I'm saying is that this car is a price point car, and not an engineering break through as far as the engine is concerned. So I have no plans to overpay for mediocre performance. If the price stays around 50k then fine.

I do like the car though!

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Ok. So an FPC 526HP V8 that makes 80+ more HP that the car (boss 302) it replaces, and an IRS, and much more for only $3-4k more (base car) isn't a good thing?

If this was the Gt500 replacement I'd agree with you, but it's most certainly not the gt500 replacement.

I would bet you lots of doll hairs that this thing is wayyyy faster around the track that the boss 302 it replaces

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
At 3000 rpm's it makes less than 200 hp. That's ok, but 4k looks like the point where it starts to wake up , not what I would consider a broad power band. Peak hp is 526hp, achieved at 7500 rpm, according to the dyno on SVT forums. That's a range of about 3500 rpm of usable power.

All I'm saying is that this car is a price point car, and not an engineering break through as far as the engine is concerned. So I have no plans to overpay for mediocre performance. If the price stays around 50k then fine.

I do like the car though!

It actually has a usable 4700-4800RPM power band.

Kevin P

Established Member
At 3000 rpm's it makes less than 200 hp.

"Usable power" is defined by torque, not horespower. HP is a mathematical function of rpm and torque. So, yes, a car at 2000 rpm makes way less HP than it would at 5000 rpm, but if the torque is the same, it will accelerate at the same rate in the same gear. The GT350 has nearly 5000 rpm range where the TQ is fairly close to peak.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433694957.598621.jpg

Since the LS7 is this motor's direct competition, you can see here that it will have a broader power band than the stock LS7 by at least 1000RPM.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Why?

It's more power than the 07, slightly less weight, and approximately the same price give inflation as the 07 GT500. And the performance is better than many cars today. That's a win win as far as I'm concerned. It's the only car ever to have 500hp n/a output for $50k.

I'm assuming you're saying its a little off because it's been done a few times before. That's not the case. 30 years ago 200hp was high now you're saying 500 is low. In 30 years will you be saying 1500hp is low in a street car?

Last point. I would hate to hear your thoughts on the Caymen GT4 and 400hp. Not mentioning the fact that it just ran .40 at the ring and faster than the zl1 Camaro a car that has 150 more horsepower!

Last edited:

yenko boy

Established Member
View attachment 43710

Since the LS7 is this motor's direct competition, you can see here that it will have a broader power band than the stock LS7 by at least 1000RPM.

Just for kicks I wouldn't mind seeing the voodoo and LS7 crank hp dyno overlay, but you have posted a whp dyno from a c6z. We don't have a whp dyno from the gt350 so that's not a fair comparison yet.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
Lol, the Ring. Lot of stock in any time posted from there. It's like a dyno, nothing more than a tuning tool. Or marketing nowadays with no sanctioning body or entity to verify cars are stock etc... So we take the word of a company with an agenda to move product. It would be the equivalent of running a ridiculously fast qualifying time and no sanctioning body making sure the car is within specs before race time.

Funny when GM posts a time it's called into question as a lie but other companies times are gospel it seems.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Lol, the Ring. Lot of stock in any time posted from there. It's like a dyno, nothing more than a tuning tool. Or marketing nowadays with no sanctioning body or entity to verify cars are stock etc... So we take the word of a company with an agenda to move product. It would be the equivalent of running a ridiculously fast qualifying time and no sanctioning body making sure the car is within specs before race time.

Funny when GM posts a time it's called into question as a lie but other companies times are gospel it seems.

Not at all. I never said it was stock just like I never said the zl1 was stock. Fact remains the best time for the gt4 is better than the best time for the zl1. Even though the zl1 has way more power! Just proving you don't need big power to have great performance!

Users who are viewing this thread