GT350 Base vs Track Pack

nsadams87xx

Established Member
So I'm having a problem, I really want one of these cars but I'm wondering if I should get the Track Pack. I'm mainly an autocrosser, not really a road racer but doesn't mean it won't happen.

If I get a base, that mean is I can really make my GT350...MY GT350 and replacement dampers won't cost $2843593 down the road.

Has anyone had any similar thoughts or debates with themselves? Dealership is asking 2K over MSRP. That puts the Track Pack car also just outside of what I'm willing to spend. I'm very adamant about that part.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I don't think you get recaros with a base car, a set of inexpensive buckets could fix that but they won't look as nice.

You're in a tough spot, if those fancy magnetic shocks turn out to be incredible for track/autox use you may have shot yourself in the foot. We don't know yet.

I would imagine a quality set of coil overs would run close to $3k for this car.

Lemers

Established Member
I don't think you get recaros with a base car, a set of inexpensive buckets could fix that but they won't look as nice.

You're in a tough spot, if those fancy magnetic shocks turn out to be incredible for track/autox use you may have shot yourself in the foot. We don't know yet.

I would imagine a quality set of coil overs would run close to $3k for this car.

The Recaros do come on the base car.

nsadams87xx

Established Member
Yeah Magnetic ride control has never really excited me per say even on other cars like the Stingray and such. I would honestly rather have coilovers than Magnetic ride control but of course who knows if anyone will even build them for this car.

johnny-longtors

Haikeeba!
Established Member
I would honestly rather have coilovers than Magnetic ride control but of course who knows if anyone will even build them for this car.
Chassis geometry is commodity is it not? I have to believe that someone will be making CO kits for these cars.... I would think a set of well-executed mags would be superior to anything else - failing any sort of "sensing mode" they're still cockpit tunable are they not???

hognutz

Established Member
I am huge fan of the mag ride. If people have tons of seat time and don't like them I could understand it but if you don't have seat time in a newer 3rd generation car with good complimenting suspension get some before you pick.

the old F55 on the base C6 left something to be desired but even the Z06 z07, zr1 were good. the C7's and zl1 are pretty sorted out. I assume ford will be leveraging of the latest gen technology and it will really good.

For me what I like about a street driven car is how confident I am on bad surface with this suspension.

the huge con though if you are a looks or car show type that like a specific stance there really are limits to what you can do.

nsadams87xx

Established Member
Yeah I'm really not a stance/show type. I just want to go fast and put my driving skills to good use. I do love the analog feel of a well mechanically sorted out suspension such as a coiled car and I almost wonder if the Mag ride will ruin that experience for me. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what Mag ride can do but I don't know if it's "me" per say. Tough tough call. Then you wonder how much effort Ford put into the base suspension. Like is it going to wheel hop like a bunny rabbit or is it actually a well thought out static suspension setup that can still pull the G's, just not adjustable.

Voltwings

Established Member
Ive driven some pretty good coilover cars, which for the S197 cars at least are around $4k if you're serious about racing, and the Mag ride in my dads c7 Z06 is unreal. Granted, that car as a whole is unreal, so its hard to say exactly how much is due to the mag ride, but it is still damn good.

nsadams87xx

Established Member
Ive driven some pretty good coilover cars, which for the S197 cars at least are around $4k if you're serious about racing, and the Mag ride in my dads c7 Z06 is unreal. Granted, that car as a whole is unreal, so its hard to say exactly how much is due to the mag ride, but it is still damn good.

The Z06 Z07 has some gnarly tires too. Sport Cup 2's.

Silver TT

Established Member
Going through this same decision myself right now. I like the idea of the Magneride and sure it is awesome but I am slightly concerned about the feeling of computer aided damping if it is perceptible in the SOTP. Even if its faster or more compliant over some curbing I hope it doesn't take any of the "rawness" away from the character of the car.

My '04 Cobra had a full race suspension and while comfortable is the last thing you would call it the stiffness of the setup and the high spring rate with the handling benefits of the IRS made the car so planted and connected feeling. I'm sure even the base GT350 will blow away this prior setup, just curious what the feel will be like with the Magneride.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
keep in mind that magnetorheological shocks are tuned for stock cars. most people that are serious about track events/time attack/auto-X modify their cars to optimize them for the class that they fall in. MR shocks aren't the magical 'easy button', just like an engine or auto trans, they're only as good as their programming. and once you start increasing the capabilities of a car(and, don't anyone worry, there will be PLENTY left to gain even with the 350R track pack) beyond the programming of its electronics, those will be your limiting factor. until the aftermarket begins to offer custom tunes for MR shocks, no factory implementation of them will ever be able to keep up with a custom tuned coil over.
also keep in mind that another limiting factor is your spring rate, and that the programming of the MR shocks are obviously tailored around the factory spring rates. even on the track pack 350R, the springs are still going to be softer than optimal(especially if you stuff 335 hoosier A7s on all 4 corners of these heavy cars, or add 'big boy' downforce[a REAL wing and a REAL splitter]) and anyone modifying these cars for track use especially will be looking to replace the springs before almost anything else. replace the springs and the factory programmed MR shocks are, again, your next hinderance.
finally, there are very, Very, VERY few sanctioning bodies that allow the use of active suspension, so if you plan to compete you're pretty much going to be stuck in the few 'unlimited' classes out there, in which case you're not going to stand any kind of a chance against cars that weigh 1500lbs(if not more!) LESS than the track pack 350R, are running tires just as wide, and possibly even have similar horsepower! not to mention 'big boy' downforce as well!

magnetorheological shocks sound like the ultimate damper in theory, but they have very real world limitations just like anything else. with that being said, if you're gong to leave your GT350 stock and want to just hit some open track events, then the 350R track pack is the best choice. but, if you're going to be modifying your shelby(namely, the suspension) for whatever purpose, then you're better off with the base model. same held true for the GT500 with optional 2 way bilstiens vs the base GT500 with passive suspension.

bpmurr

Established Member
When I talked with the Ford Performance team at Carlisle a week ago they hinted at the base GT350 being more for marketing to hit a price point. They made it clear to get one of the packs.

Silver TT

Established Member
When I talked with the Ford Performance team at Carlisle a week ago they hinted at the base GT350 being more for marketing to hit a price point. They made it clear to get one of the packs.

Was their reasoning because the Magneride dampers are great? If not, all else you are getting is coolers. I do think they put a ton of R&D into the Magneride and suspension tuning on this car and I recall a video of an engineer saying the Magneride allowed them to do some amazing things with the overall handling balance of the car.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... I recall a video of an engineer saying the Magneride allowed them to do some amazing things with the overall handling balance of the car.

For a stock car. Like Ry_Trapp0 said, Magneride isn't the end all be all of suspensions. If that was the case, why didn't GM use it on the Z28 like they did with the ZL1 and Z06?

Mystic_Cobra

Established Member
On hitting a price point...

Isn't that exactly what any base model is for???? It makes perfect sense.

I'm the "car guy" in my circle of friends. I don't understand why anyone would buy a base model unless they planned to strip out the car to modify or to get the lightest package possible. I get that people have a budget but if you are going to spend $50,000 on a car (OR $20,000 for that matter) why not spend another $4000 (or whatever) and get a car that you will absolutely love every time you get in it instead of being unsatisfied all the time. People constantly ask me for advice and I always say to get everything you want when you buy. It will cost more to upgrade later and you'll be unsatisfied in the meantime. I constantly hear, "I wish I had bought the blah blah blah package." Then again, I don't think of a car as an appliance, but apparently others do. Strange folks, if you ask me. :-D

Users who are viewing this thread