GT with IRS...

svt2712

Established Member
Does the IRS handle really better than a SRA on an Autox track?

As far as i can tell i have autox a gt (wifes car) with some suspension up-grades and i now have my 04 cobra that i wanted. real the only differance that i notice is that the cobra feels more front heavy under braking but the rear is the same to me. The big thing in autox is to run full race tires.

I'm about to get an IRS from a member on here,:banana: and wanted to start doing some racing.

SInce my car is a 96 and I'm fully modded is there a site I can to, that will tell me everything a newbie needs to learn about the autox class i would be placed in??

Thanks guys
Mike

I would just show up to an event they will find a class for you to run in. there are to many variables in the mods that you might have done to your car to just say you are in this class. small things that you would not think will throw you in to a higher class. Go to scca.com to the solo section

http://scca.com/hub.aspx?hub=3
I would think if you car was NA you would be in ESP but if you put the IRS i am not sure. but you can update parts and back date parts to your car from other year mustangs

Also, when I upgrade my brakes, should I go with brembo or would cobra brakes be fine?
:shrug:

svt2712

Established Member
Oh and I for got if you have never autox before it is a blast I love it and try to make every one i can
drag racing 12-13 second run = not much skill

autox 60 seconds + = lots of skill

jking32

Established Member
The minute you upgrade the brakes you go from ESP to SM or Street Modified. Trust me, I run Roush Alcon's and they don't get you any quicker times. Autocross does not show the Cobra brakes or even the stock brakes weaknesses, which are that they fade when they are pushed too hard, too long. That is not a problem in autocross. I am not sure about the IRS upgrade. Let me just say that you don't need the IRS at all. I have an 03Cobra and I have run against several SN95 cobras and they run pretty damn fast.

A guy from Omaha named Mark Jorgenson, up until this year, ran a white 97 Cobra in the KC region from time to time. He was amazingly quick and ran in ESP which is somewhat limited in what mods are allowed. In the 2007 Solo Nationals he pax'd 16th out of over 1100 cars. When he decided not to run this year, I know I was dissappointed and so were many others as he was so much fun to watch.

I have been autocrossing for 3 years now. You will gain far more in quicker run times by spending your money on getting to every event you can get to and running as much as you can afford. Tires are important. Running on street tires for the first year is usually a good idea. I learned alot about car control running street tires. Horsepower in autocross, is a double edge sword.

When I walk the course with alot of autocrossers, they talk about mashing the gas here and mashing the gas there and I keep thinking, if I do what they do, I would end up in a cloud of smoke and spin out. Autocross is very challenging to say the least, learning to do it quickly in a high horsepower car with a lot of torque is especially so. Seat time is worth more then mods. I can't say I would have believed that 3 years ago, but after watching guys in stock Miata's, Mini Coopers, Honda Civic's.... run circles around me, I believe it. It is very humbling.

Last edited:

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
The minute you upgraded the brakes you went to SM or Street Modified. I am not sure about the IRS upgrade. Let me just say that you don't need the IRS at all. I have an 03Cobra and I have run against several SN95 cobras and they run pretty damn fast.

A guy from Omaha named Mark Jorgenson, up until this year, ran a white 97 Cobra in the KC region from time to time. He was amazingly quick and ran in ESP which is somewhat limited in what mods are allowed. In the 2007 Solo Nationals he pax'd 16th out of over 1100 cars.

I have been autocrossing for 3 years now. You will gain far more in quicker run times by spending your money on getting to every event you can get to and running as much as you can afford. Tires are important. Running on street tires for the first year is usually a good idea. I learned alot about car control running street tires. Horsepower in autocross, is a double edge sword.

When I walk the course with alot of autocrossers, they talk about mashing the gas here and mashing the gas there and I keep thinking, if I do what they do, I would end up in a cloud of smoke and spin out. Autocross is very challenging to say the least, learning to do it quickly in a high horsepower car with a lot of torque is especially so. Seat time is worth more then mods. I can't say I would have believed that 3 years ago, but after watching guys in stock Miata's, Mini Coopers, Honda Civic's.... run circles around me, I believe it. It is very humbling.

I'm not 100% sure the IRS nor Cobra brakes would throw him out of ESP depending on his other modifications. I had plans to put an IRS and front and rear Cobra brake kit on my V6 and it was still holding me in the ESP class. I'm not completely sure on the SCCA rules as far as body styles go, but being that a SN95 mustang did come with IRS and those brakes he might be ok.

jking32

Established Member
With the Cobra brakes and IRS I would probably email someone at the SCCA and ask. The Brembo's would definately push him into SM.

jking32

Established Member
As I read it, the IRS and Cobra brakes would be legal, but I would still check with the SCCA.

"15.1.C
Equipment and/or specifications may be exchanged between different years and models of a vehicle if (a) the item is standard on the year/model from which it was taken, and (b) the years/models are listed on the same line in appendix A (Street Prepared Classes). The updated/backdated part or the part to which it is to be attached may not altered, modified, machined or otherwise changed to facilitate the updating/backdating allowance. Standard factory installation methods, locations and configurations are allowed. The updating and/or backdating of engines, transmissions or transaxles must be done as a unit; component parts of these units may not be interchanged. "

Appendix A Street Prepared Class E

"Ford/Mercury
Mustang ('94-'04) all NOC including Cobra, Cobra R (SN95)"

As long as you don't or don't have to modify the IRS or your car to get it to fit, it sounds like it is allowed under ESP rules. The only question I would have is if you have to drill holes for the rear IRS attaching point be considered machining? I don't think they already have holes in 96 model cars, but that is getting pretty technical.

Last edited:

WPGFORDGUY

Established Member
IMO he goes to Mod. he's changing the mounting points from stock,

Realistically, unless its fully prepped the class wont matter. The SP cars that were at Topeka were not road cars.

GO out and have fun. Worry about the class on you next car.

Darkshadows

New tq abuser
Established Member
I autox with the sra, and driven many in autox with sra. really small bennifet to use a irs. IRS will throw you out of ESP unless you do everything else to update it to a 99-01 or 03-04 cobra (motor, tranny, and suspension)

svt2712

Established Member
I autox with the sra, and driven many in autox with sra. really small bennifet to use a irs. IRS will throw you out of ESP unless you do everything else to update it to a 99-01 or 03-04 cobra (motor, tranny, and suspension)
You don't have to change every thing to make the irs legal just tell then that you did a conversion (updating parts from a mustang that is legal) what they don't know wont hurt them.
The was that i look at it is if i have street tires and poly bushings in the rear that are not legal gut the people i am racing with have stock bushings but race tires and i beat them i am still at the disadvantage but beat them.
the bottom line is just go out there and have fun. When you are first starting you will be in the novice class any way for up to one year so just have fun then start to take it serious.:-D

PushinTheLimit

Established Member
The minute you upgrade the brakes you go from ESP to SM or Street Modified. Trust me, I run Roush Alcon's and they don't get you any quicker times. Autocross does not show the Cobra brakes or even the stock brakes weaknesses, which are that they fade when they are pushed too hard, too long. That is not a problem in autocross. I am not sure about the IRS upgrade. Let me just say that you don't need the IRS at all. I have an 03Cobra and I have run against several SN95 cobras and they run pretty damn fast.

A guy from Omaha named Mark Jorgenson, up until this year, ran a white 97 Cobra in the KC region from time to time. He was amazingly quick and ran in ESP which is somewhat limited in what mods are allowed. In the 2007 Solo Nationals he pax'd 16th out of over 1100 cars. When he decided not to run this year, I know I was dissappointed and so were many others as he was so much fun to watch.

Very well said.

One thing I wanna add is you don't need bigger brakes. A good idea is to get better brake pads on the car. They will make a world of difference over stock pads. Bigger brakes would be something I would do if I open tracked my car... not autoX.

Some things that you can do in the SP classes would be like springs, shocks, sway bars, shifter, rims, and race tires. In SP classes, you don't have to run stock size rims. I run 315 Hoosier's all the way around on my Z06 and I really like the way that feels. I will be adding a bigger front sway bar soon so I'm looking forward to seeing how that feels.

Users who are viewing this thread