Gt-500 Automatic swap.

Skeltor

Getting old sucks
Established Member
Hi everyone, I'm looking to swap to a 6r80 preferred or a 4r70w. While doing this I will probably swap cams and switch to E-85. I'm looking for someone capable of doing the trans swap. I can provide the parts or do it as a package deal. Looking for suggestions. I don't mind shipping the car or driving/flying, etc. Thanks!

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
If you aren't doing the work yourself, Id absolutely agree with Mach1. You want Power By The Hour to do your swap and upgrades.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
The built trans is always a good idea.

But to do it the way PBH will do it is swap in a body side auto S197 6r80 auto harness, trans harness, and Auto Coyote ECU. Lund Racing will handle the custom calibration and ECU firmware to make it all work.

Youll need the trans, flex plate, Torque converter (Circle D recommended), shifter assy with cable, trans cooler and lines factory is the best), custom driveshaft, automatic pedal box with switches. 2011+ i think use the same AFs and gas pedals.

Its not cheap, but will drive like its a factory car.

A US Shift Quick 6 controller is another option, and there are a few guys out there 6R80 swapped using that stand alone controller.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

48yrs

Established Member
Hello Lexustech
Would you be able to give me some further info/details regarding a 2013-14 GT500 conversion to the 6R80.
I was wondering......is the install any easier if you were to use a manual valve body 6R80 vs. a fully automatic shifting 6R80?
Ive had several "manual valve body" and a "reverse manual valve body" auto transmissions in different non DD cars and always enjoyed them. I would assume that the actual tuning, interface work differences between the GT500 and Mustang GT electronics and associated wiring harness work would be much less going with a manual valve body.
Would you kindly give me your experience/opinion?

Thank you

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
manual valve bodys are mainly used to change shift pressures, different shift speeds and various shift points.

with the 6R80 its all done in the tune. no one makes a manual valve body for the 6r80. u will have to use a 4r70 for a manual valve body but that would be dumb when the 6r80 is available.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Please use the 6r80, you will love it. PBH would be my shop to do this mod because it's not new to them. Build it before installing it and it will hold up to the abuse that it sounds like you might be throwing at it.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Hello Lexustech
Would you be able to give me some further info/details regarding a 2013-14 GT500 conversion to the 6R80.
I was wondering......is the install any easier if you were to use a manual valve body 6R80 vs. a fully automatic shifting 6R80?
Ive had several "manual valve body" and a "reverse manual valve body" auto transmissions in different non DD cars and always enjoyed them. I would assume that the actual tuning, interface work differences between the GT500 and Mustang GT electronics and associated wiring harness work would be much less going with a manual valve body.
Would you kindly give me your experience/opinion?

Thank you

6R80 is a solenoid trans, there is not a traditional "valve body" like in a 4R70, 4L80, TH400, etc.

manual valve bodys are mainly used to change shift pressures, different shift speeds and various shift points.

A manual valve body does just what it sounds like - makes the trans fully manual. Has nothing to do with line pressure, shift speed, or shift points.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
wrong. it isn't controlled by the computer like the 6r80 so yea u surely can adjust everything MANUALLY..... including shift points, pressure etc.... its all in the particular valve body u chose and how u chose to set it up.

[QUOTE="rotor_powerd, post: 15796189, member: 76391"
A manual valve body does just what it sounds like - makes the trans fully manual. Has nothing to do with line pressure, shift speed, or shift points.[/QUOTE]

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
Only issues thus far is getting the instrument cluster to work ( with the factory gt500 gauges on 07-09 Cars) but with Dakota Digital gauge packages we can get it to work and a few other items. We have done the swap several times here at the Shop on GT500s and have 2 Manual Coyote cars here now getting the built 6r80 Swap!

Give us a call - 561-737-2331
- Power by the Hour Performance

48yrs

Established Member
Thank you to all who have commented on my question.

Its ALL very good information for us at SVTP who are considering the manual to 6R80 conversion.
The 1 small issue I keep running into is that "most" of the feedback/comments/informational advice related to this subject have been for 2007-2011 GT500's (prior to 2013-2014's)and coyotes.
From my non expert gathering of info, it appears that the 2013-2014 GT500's have additional issues of conflict that the other years/models do Not have.
This is where I am hoping to find the mini details/conditions which will affect my 2014 GT500.

Thank you again in advance to All the knowledgeable participants in this discussion.

RIO RED SNAKE

Established Member
Thank you to all who have commented on my question.

Its ALL very good information for us at SVTP who are considering the manual to 6R80 conversion.
The 1 small issue I keep running into is that "most" of the feedback/comments/informational advice related to this subject have been for 2007-2011 GT500's (prior to 2013-2014's)and coyotes.
From my non expert gathering of info, it appears that the 2013-2014 GT500's have additional issues of conflict that the other years/models do Not have.
This is where I am hoping to find the mini details/conditions which will affect my 2014 GT500.

Thank you again in advance to All the knowledgeable participants in this discussion.

To my Knowledge and what has been performed the "issue cars" are the 07-09 ... the 10-14 Cars (specifically 11-14) are the easier bolt in and go with control pack cars. So if anything a 13/14 with the 6R80 harness, FRPP brake pedal, PBH pcm, one piece driveshaft, flexplate, OEM shifter set up etc and then you would be good.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
wrong. it isn't controlled by the computer like the 6r80 so yea u surely can adjust everything MANUALLY..... including shift points, pressure etc.... its all in the particular valve body u chose and how u chose to set it up.

There are no shift points with a manual valve body because all shifts are made manually. That is the only thing a manual valve body does. Line pressure is adjustable in any valve body with different springs and regulators

paluka21

Established Member
The built trans is always a good idea.

But to do it the way PBH will do it is swap in a body side auto S197 6r80 auto harness, trans harness, and Auto Coyote ECU. Lund Racing will handle the custom calibration and ECU firmware to make it all work.

Youll need the trans, flex plate, Torque converter (Circle D recommended), shifter assy with cable, trans cooler and lines factory is the best), custom driveshaft, automatic pedal box with switches. 2011+ i think use the same AFs and gas pedals.

Its not cheap, but will drive like its a factory car.

A US Shift Quick 6 controller is another option, and there are a few guys out there 6R80 swapped using that stand alone controller.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Without hijacking the tread, it will be interesting to see if companies will begin to explore the 10r80 transmission swap from the new mustangs.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
The Quick 6 is 10R80 capable. Support hasn't been released yet, and I would assume that's going to be a year or two as they decipher the controls of the 10R80. But its going to be able to do it.

US Shift and the Quick 6 is a gift from the muscle car gods for swapping transmisisons

*edit* link to quick 6

http://www.usshift.com/usq6.shtml

RIO RED SNAKE

Established Member
Without hijacking the tread, it will be interesting to see if companies will begin to explore the 10r80 transmission swap from the new mustangs.

Going to be a while in my opinion. The 6r80 has been out since 2011 and it took a few years to get it to adapt to the GT500 and swaps, so I think it will be a while for the A10...

Users who are viewing this thread