GT 5.0 vs Boss 302?

12-Bstang

Established Member
Had a discussion with a ford parts guy at the dealer counter last night. He says that the heads, and intake are the only difference between the boss and GT?? I mentioned the exhaust cams, rods, bearing, connecting rods, valve train etc.. He said his computer lists the same part numbers for the GT and the Boss 302:nono:

RTD

Established Member
Sounds like this ford parts guy doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.

Tyler72

Established Member
Agreed...

The rods, pistons, valves, valve springs, heads, exhaust cams, & intake are different, & that's just with the engine.

12-Bstang

Established Member
Imagine your boss goes in for some warranty work, and comes out with some Base GT parts in the motor:fm:

oooopppps

Boss949

Established Member
Had a discussion with a ford parts guy at the dealer counter last night. He says that the heads, and intake are the only difference between the boss and GT?? I mentioned the exhaust cams, rods, bearing, connecting rods, valve train etc.. He said his computer lists the same part numbers for the GT and the Boss 302:nono:

Have the ford parts guy read this; He'll thank you.

2011 Ford Mustang 302 - Inside The Boss - 5.0 Mustang Magazine

Para81

Established Member
Sorry to say but most of Ford's dealer and parts departments know very little about the Shelby and Boss 302.

Ever try and walk into a Ford dealership and talk cars with them? It's very boring and you will have about a 10 second conversation.

Oh well, still great cars from Ford and these specialty(Ford GT/Boss/Shelby's) sell themselves.

It gets irritating when you do need parts or service though.

I had a list on my computer can't find it but it was about 2 pages long listing all the work done to the 5.0 to make the Boss. It's pretty extensive.

Last edited:

Vista6019

Established Member
Unfortunately, fact is most Ford Parts guys are not that knowledgeable and most dealers do not spend the time to train them.

65sohc

Established Member
Reminds me when I needed a new clutch in my '09 GT500. I requested the upgraded 2011 factory clutch. First I was told that it would not fit, then they said it was a performance modification and would be illegal. Fortunately there is a second dealer near here. Not only were they happy to give me the new-style clutch, the service manager took it upon himself to do it under warranty, something I had never even considered.

Para81

Established Member
Reminds me when I needed a new clutch in my '09 GT500. I requested the upgraded 2011 factory clutch. First I was told that it would not fit, then they said it was a performance modification and would be illegal. Fortunately there is a second dealer near here. Not only were they happy to give me the new-style clutch, the service manager took it upon himself to do it under warranty, something I had never even considered.

That's good service. I remember a Ford dealership near PB, San Diego having good servince like this as they were used to getting a whole bunch of Shelby's, Saleen's and other extreme muscle.

nycarpenter

Established Member
The Boss is a terrific car and with a few bolt ons can be flat out lethal. I thought about buying the GT but in the end the Boss was just a better bang for the buck car for me. The GT is a great ride but Ford really got the Boss right.. Parts guys are like a box of chocolate you never know what type your going to get :) Some are great others should go work at DMV...

Users who are viewing this thread