GT 2014 Oil Cooling Options (with D1SC Procharger)

Moaz

Established Member
Hi everyone..
As subjected,
I'm running Mustang GT 2014 in Course Tracks (20-30 mins sessions) with
- Procharger D1SC - Boost 16 and will be upgraded to 20 PSI (making 633 RWHP)
- Aluminator 9.5 Compression
- Mishmito Radiator

For the oil cooling options, we have 2x
1- Delare kit or even Mishmito
Direct Fit : Direct Fit Mustang GT 5.0 Engine Oil Cooler Kit
Mishimoto Mustang Direct Fit Oil Cooler - Black MMOC-MUS-11TBK (11-14 GT)

2- Oil Cooler comes with Boss 302
Ford Performance Mustang BOSS 302 Engine Oil Cooler M-6642-MB (11-14 GT)

My opinion is preferring the first option which is using Air to cool the oil, but the boss 302 option relays on the water cooling since it's connected with one arm to the radiator, and this setup I see no the optimal one.

But the problem with the Mishmito or Delare is : where to install it, as it must be in the air flow which is the front of the car, but this will cover part of the procharge intercooler and radiator as well, which will decrease the amount of the air entering to the radiator.

Any solution for that?

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Both come with challenges, with the boss probably being the easiest since you now have a massive intercooler taking up space where the oil cooler radiator would typically go. However, to install the boss oil cooler, you'll need to modify it. Procharger has instructions on how to do this on their site, as well as the instructions that ship with the kit. I also have this dilemma, but am going to go with the boss oil cooler, as I have a brand new one sitting on my shelf in the garage.

Moaz

Established Member
Both come with challenges, with the boss probably being the easiest since you now have a massive intercooler taking up space where the oil cooler radiator would typically go. However, to install the boss oil cooler, you'll need to modify it. Procharger has instructions on how to do this on their site, as well as the instructions that ship with the kit. I also have this dilemma, but am going to go with the boss oil cooler, as I have a brand new one sitting on my shelf in the garage.

Wow.. good to see you in all of my posts, it's my honor and pleasure.

Yes, I agree with you.
But, what about risking as follows, (just asking your opinion..)
- Get the Air-Cooler either Mishmito or Delare, yes it will eat some space, but we will recover it by two things,
* Changing the hood to another with some good cooling openings.
* Changing the fender to something with vents/cooling opens
* Changing the front bumper with one with vents as well.

What do u see?

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Before I suggest something here, as I've also seen you concerned with ECT's (even though what you've listed are perfectly safe ECT's for the types of driving you've stated) I have to ask a question. What is your intended purpose of the car?

Moaz

Established Member
what is ECT please :)
I'm amateur driver, and my usage will be Weekend course track, (time to time) fun drag race, and 20% city cruising, as i've another Xtrail for daily basis.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
ECT = Engine Coolant Temperature.
By track, are you saying an open road course or drag racing? If you're planning on hitting a road course then you definitely will be running warmer and need a bit more cooling modifications. If it's drag racing, typically resting the car between runs is enough. If you want to run a decent external oil cooler, I'd look at track mustangs online and see what they've gone with. A decent Setrab setup will definitely help more than a mishimoto setup. You'll also want a legitimate mechanical oil temperature gauge. For city cruising and the occasional night runs with friends, unless it's 90 + degrees at night, what you have now should be alright. It's a centrifugal blower, not a positive displacement and they typically are fairly efficient and run cooler. You'll also want a good radiator. I run a boss radiator and it's working great with my D1SC setup. You could also step up to a 170 degree thermostat as well.
With that being said, I'd get some decent gauges and go play how you want to play and watch the temps. Treat the issues as they become problems, but stop the car before you break stuff.

Moaz

Established Member
ECT = Engine Coolant Temperature.
By track, are you saying an open road course or drag racing? If you're planning on hitting a road course then you definitely will be running warmer and need a bit more cooling modifications. If it's drag racing, typically resting the car between runs is enough. If you want to run a decent external oil cooler, I'd look at track mustangs online and see what they've gone with. A decent Setrab setup will definitely help more than a mishimoto setup. You'll also want a legitimate mechanical oil temperature gauge. For city cruising and the occasional night runs with friends, unless it's 90 + degrees at night, what you have now should be alright. It's a centrifugal blower, not a positive displacement and they typically are fairly efficient and run cooler. You'll also want a good radiator. I run a boss radiator and it's working great with my D1SC setup. You could also step up to a 170 degree thermostat as well.
With that being said, I'd get some decent gauges and go play how you want to play and watch the temps. Treat the issues as they become problems, but stop the car before you break stuff.

+1
Yes, I hit course tracks, and as you said, I'm not worried at all when it's drag, as the time/resting between runs is enough to cool down the whole systems not only the engine.

For the radiator, Mishmito still works fine with me along with 160 Thermostat, and the coolant temp most of the time 185 to 195 in daily driving, ( I believe the this temp level is good).

Meanwhile, I'm looking to upgrade/change the Fan, as the current one is that coming with Procharger unit (SPAL), to one of those options:

1- JPC have custom-built fan with 4000 CFM
JPC- 2011-2014 Mustang GT Custom Electric Slim Fan
** I'm requesting to have all harness and relays that support this high output/amperage.

2- Derale performance fans with controller
PWM Powerpacks

Something that giving 4000 CFM along with my radiator until its time comes and change it to something higher.

Finally, for the Oil Temp and Pressure, I'm having 2x Aeroforce interceptor gauges, but so far folks saying that I need to have a physical sensor installed to get this readings, and others saying that this info can be read from the PCM.
What do you think?
Or even it's better to get a particular gauge with sensor (kit) for that, any recommendation?

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
I took a look at those fans, however, I don't know that they are as slim as the procharger fan and shroud. It's a super tight fit in there and I'd call JPC or Procharger to find a more powerful setup. The Procharger one is pretty ghetto when it comes to it's plug setup, which might be why you're having problems in your other thread with it. Also, if you're still running the stock grill with twin lights, you may want to remove all of that in exchange for a roush grill or something more open.

For oil temp, pressure and other important temps, I (with other folks) highly recommend a mechanical gauge that pulls directly from the sandwich plate or other places where you can get to the actual fluid directly. Pulling oil temp from the OBDII port is no where near as accurate as one would hope. For me, I'll be running mechanical gauges at some point, but for heuristics of the things that I care about at the moment, my HPTuners NGauge with Lund Boost adapter is enough. Other interesting temps when open course racing would be transmission temp, engine coolant temp, rear diff temp, (since you're supercharged) inlet air temp (Could be pulled from OBDII fairly accurately).

Moaz

Established Member
thanks so much, am already with Roush grille in the upper side, and the down one is completely removed.
I will start looking for the Oil temp gauge with its sensor, but do you have any specific recommendation, link to buy from as a kit?

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Can't go wrong with Auto Meter in my opinion. I'm sure there are others who have opinions on brands as Auto Meter can be spendy.

Users who are viewing this thread