Grrrrr

Ginsu

Established Member
K, what do you guys think.

I think I need a new headlight switch. Lately I have noticed when I turn on the lights, the dash board would do a little disco light show. Tonight when I was coming home from work the dash was dark with the lights on. Go to just the markers the dash was working normal. So the solution was find just the right half way spot. So I am thinking the switch is going bad.

Another thing that I have noticed on occasions is the tach will just start to jump around while the engine RPM stayyed the same. Mainly at idle. Is my tach about to shit the bed or should I start chasing wires?

jasonv1013

I'll de-lurk to see if I can help here.:cool:

I had the exact same problem with the headlight switch in my '95 Cobra. You had to find the exact right half-way point to get the headlights, markers, and dash lights on all at the same time. I got a new switch and opened up the dash to replace it, but the connecter that joined the wires to the switch was all melted and charred, along with the switch.

Replaced the switch and it kept happening, so I cut the plastic connector off and just connected the wires individually to the prongs on the switch and wrapped a huge wad of electrical tape around it and it's worked fine ever since. Hopefully the tape won't come loose and catch the whole car on fire. :eek:

The switch was about $25 from the dealer, I think. Hope that helps.

Jay
'95 Cobra - No mods (yet)

Ginsu

Established Member
Very interesting! So there is possibly a short somewhere else in the wiring that could have caused it (if my situation is similar to yours). Anyway, when I get around to getting another one and opening up the dash I will try that. Thanks for your help!

stronghimiler

Established Member
Ground wires

I had a similar problem with mine. Once I pulled the switch all the way out it dulled the driver side light and it sounded like the blinker relay clicked once. I was replacing relays, troubleshooting wiring, basically pulling my hair out over this. Then one day i had a friend turn the lights on as I was looking at the light. i saw a little spark from under the hood, just behind the light. There are two ground wires bolted there and the bolts came loose. They were touching and making an alternate circuit. readjusted them and its good to go!!!

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
I had a similar prob with my switch lately. It was causing a drain on my electrical system. It was doing the same as yours HIGHMILER. I think Ford needs to update those old sucky pull type light switches anyway.

Ginsu

Established Member
LOL you know what is really wierd....the other day I disconnected my negative battery cable while I was fooling around under the hood. Well, now the light switch works fine! So strange!

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
:) It's an attitude thing! I'm starting to believe more and more that these Cobra's have their own minds. Mine will throw me a little attitude here-n-there. Just tonight as I pulled in the driveway, the Cobra decides to just go ahead and shut itself off b4 I could!
Okay Mr. "I think I run the show"!

Last edited:

95SVTCobraVA

Established Member
I believe these cars have a mind of their own too.

I have had the horn come on for no reason at all twice since I bought the car. Luckly it went off when I push the horn. Strange :-?

The lastest thing is that I have had my ABS light stay on after starting the car. That has happened twice. When I turn the car off and restart it the ABS light goes off like it should. :dw:

Tony :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread