Grinding noise under the car when driving up hills

kitsune1324

Established Member
Hey guys, long time reader, not really a poster.

I have a problem with my 2000 V6 mustang when drivig up hills (typically a ramp in a parking garage) and sometimes when accelerating from first gear. What usually happens is when I start going up the ramp i can feel the car drag a bit and there's a grinding noise that starts from underneeth the car (in the middle semi towards the engine) and you can literally feel the grind throughout the car. It has been slowly doing this more and more over the past year. Any idea what it could be and if it's an easy fix?

kitsune1324

Established Member
Yeah, I just replaced the oil and I didn't see anything odd. Inbetween when it started and now, I've taken the car to my mechanic a few times (for different issues) and he never noticed anything (although I didn't tell him about it..).

A little more details about it, it only happens when accelerating, if I take my foot off the gas it stops.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Any idea what the cost to fix it could be? I saw that to rebuild the trans it's about 3k..

Go to a dedicated transmission shop. A lot of mechanics will charge you to fix it, but they send out the transmission to a transmission shop anyways, so you end up paying two shops. 3k sounds way too high to me. You can also take your chances and go hunting salvage yards for one out of a 99-04 v6 and hope it doesn't need rebuilt.

kitsune1324

Established Member
Go to a dedicated transmission shop. A lot of mechanics will charge you to fix it, but they send out the transmission to a transmission shop anyways, so you end up paying two shops. 3k sounds way too high to me. You can also take your chances and go hunting salvage yards for one out of a 99-04 v6 and hope it doesn't need rebuilt.

Well the good/bad news..lets face it, it's bad. This morning while I was driving up the ramps in the parking garage I stayed in second gear and the grinding was consistant there as well.

How much would you guestimate a fix for the tranny would be?

nileppezdel77

Established Member
So the issue turned out to be a broken motor and transmission mount. Thanks for the replies, guys!

That is not what I expected the problem to be. Neat. Seems like you should have noticed the horrendous vibrations if the motor mount was screwed, and the banging and clanging noises from the trans mount being messed up long before grinding noises.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Not sure how I missed the update on this, but that definitely wasn't the outcome I was expecting based on the description of a "grinding" noise. Glad it was a simple fix.

kitsune1324

Established Member
That is not what I expected the problem to be. Neat. Seems like you should have noticed the horrendous vibrations if the motor mount was screwed, and the banging and clanging noises from the trans mount being messed up long before grinding noises.

Not sure how I missed the update on this, but that definitely wasn't the outcome I was expecting based on the description of a "grinding" noise. Glad it was a simple fix.

From the sounds both my dad and I were hearing, we would never have expected it either, but change the mounts and drive up the same way I always do and voila. No more noise.

I appreciate the help, guys.

While you're here, any thoughts on procharging a 200k mile v6? Hahaha

nileppezdel77

Established Member
Were you planning on replacing the car anyway? If you don't mind wasting a whole bunch of money for a little bit of fun, go for it and when the engine blows (not if - when), sell the blower again and get that new car. Not, at all, an economical way to have a good time, but it's a v6 - it's not worth anything as is anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread