Great affordable UHP all-season suggestion please.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
This is for my daily driver 2013 Mazdaspeed 3. I am going up from the 225/40/18 on the stock 18x7.5 wheels to 235/40/18 on 18x8 wheels (I would love to go 245/35/18, but those are all priced out of my range). I am looking for the best quiet, affordable, decent wearing all-season UHP tire I can get in this size. I have been getting great results out of the Cooper RS3-A on other cars, but recently I got a bad set on my wife's car that have been wearing weird (had to already replace too and alignment, etc. is spot on). Her DD is a 2012 Mazda 3 2.5 GT. They were fantastic on my Focus though (in a 235/45/17).

My budget is $150 per tire max, but I could go higher if there was a good promotion on the horizon (like Black Friday/Cyber Monday or something like that). If could not find any 245/35/18 at that price that was a decent brand, but I see plenty of choices in a 235/40/18.

Soooo, any suggestions from DTD? I am a loyal customer for years, so I trust your judgment.

Also, if any forum members want to chime in with real-world suggestions (experience), please do.

Thanks.

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
This is for my daily driver 2013 Mazdaspeed 3. I am going up from the 225/40/18 on the stock 18x7.5 wheels to 235/40/18 on 18x8 wheels (I would love to go 245/35/18, but those are all priced out of my range). I am looking for the best quiet, affordable, decent wearing all-season UHP tire I can get in this size. I have been getting great results out of the Cooper RS3-A on other cars, but recently I got a bad set on my wife's car that have been wearing weird (had to already replace too and alignment, etc. is spot on). Her DD is a 2012 Mazda 3 2.5 GT. They were fantastic on my Focus though (in a 235/45/17).

My budget is $150 per tire max, but I could go higher if there was a good promotion on the horizon (like Black Friday/Cyber Monday or something like that). If could not find any 245/35/18 at that price that was a decent brand, but I see plenty of choices in a 235/40/18.

Soooo, any suggestions from DTD? I am a loyal customer for years, so I trust your judgment.

Also, if any forum members want to chime in with real-world suggestions (experience), please do.

Thanks.

Pm coming your way.

TrackpackGT

Established Member
Was not impressed with those. Put a set on at DT and took them back and ended up with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics. Better tire, but we didn't keep her car much longer to get an accurate impression of those. Those Coopers don't offer much for a rim guard, keep that in mind. They seem to run a little narrow for their size. (Reason I did't buy those). I'd be between the Neogens and Kumho 4X KU22's.

Last edited:

TORQUERULES

Established Member
I just received 4 Nitto Motivo tires from Discount Tire yesterday. These look fantastic and I love seeing the Made in U.S.A. on the side. :)

I am getting them mounted this weekend. I hope they do well.

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I just received 4 Nitto Motivo tires from Discount Tire yesterday. These look fantastic and I love seeing the Made in U.S.A. on the side. :)

I am getting them mounted this weekend. I hope they do well.

Thank you for your support, TORQUERULES. Looking forward to your initial impressions.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Thanks. They look to be a very well-built tire. I think I will be pleased, but I will report back.

I get them mounted Saturday.

I put about 500 miles on them this week on a business trip. They handle every bit as good or better than the summer compound Dunlop SP Sport 2050 tires that were stock (I lean towards better than the Dunlops). The steering response is amazing. Much better than the Dunlops. The tires ride good and look fantastic. Although these are 235 vs stock 225, they are far wider than I expected. They must run wide for their size which is perfectly fine with me. :)

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Awesome! Thank you for keeping us posted, I'm glad you're happy with them.

Last edited:

TORQUERULES

Established Member
An update:

Encountered some sudden ice/snow today and the tires performed admirably. It took A LOT to make them slip. I was impressed for a wide, low-profile 18" tire.

Users who are viewing this thread