Greased steering rack bushings, now steering wheel crooked

JC-RH

Established Member
I have been having a creaking noise coming from my front end when I turn the wheel. After inspecting it, it turns out my car already had the MM solid aluminum bushings kit along with polyurethane front bushings. However, they didn’t have any grease on them.

While on jack stands (and wheels in the air), I undid the bolts, popped everything off, greased everything, and reinstalled everything back together.

I took it for a drive, and no more creaking! But now my steering wheel is about 10 degrees crooked when going straight.

I’m confused bc I never disconnected the steering wheel shaft or loosened anything in that area. I have read that others (with different model cars) say that the spline could be 1-2 off the original spot.

What is the best way to realign this? Do I need to loosen everything, pull the rack forward, have someone hold the steering wheel in place, and then push the rack back into position?

Planning on doing this in the next few hours.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Are you running the offset bushings? If so it's possible the bushings aren't totally straight up and down. That happened to me.

BTW, steering rack bushings shouldn't need grease. Nothing moves. The bolts might've only needed tightening.

JC-RH

Established Member
They are not offset bushings. I simply took it apart to inspect bc of the creaking. That part is resolved now, whether it was from the grease or from the proper torque.

My concern now is the best approach for getting the steering wheel straight again. I’d rather not have to pretty much redo everything. If I do, I want to make sure I focus on the technique to make sure I don’t have to do it a third time.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
When the rack shifts or the steering shaft shifts, like when the firewall shaft bearing fails, the steering wheel alignment is affected.

You may be able to loosen the rack bushings just a hair and jerk (hard turn) the steering wheel back into alignment, then tightened the crap out of those rack bushings.
You will hear the rack pop.

My AL rack bushings (MM solid AL, no offset) where ever so loose.
I just went through this.

Also..really look at the steering shaft joint, especially if you still have the old rag joint, at the rack and that connection more closely.

Last edited:

JC-RH

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I pulled the car in my garage straight on (with crooked steering wheel). I’ll disconnect the rack and have someone center the wheel.

I’m guessing there’s a gap to move the wheel when you pull the rack far enough forward.

JC-RH

Established Member
FIXED/SOLUTION:

I positioned my car with the tires pointing straight and my steering wheel crooked. Put the car on jack stands. I loosened both bushing bolts. With the key in the ON position, I had someone straighten and hold the steering wheel. The rack shifted to one side. I then secured the bushing bolts back into place. Steering wheel is nice and straight now!!

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
FIXED/SOLUTION:

I positioned my car with the tires pointing straight and my steering wheel crooked. Put the car on jack stands. I loosened both bushing bolts. With the key in the ON position, I had someone straighten and hold the steering wheel. The rack shifted to one side. I then secured the bushing bolts back into place. Steering wheel is nice and straight now!!
I learn something new everyday on this site. Thanks for at least doing a follow up and letting us know

Users who are viewing this thread