Granatelli coil packs really add hp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Your not going to beat the performance of the OEM coil packs. Do some research on the forums and you'll see. Don't waste your money on after market coil packs.

CPRsm

They are one time use. Pull them to remove a spark plug and the connection at the plug tears out of the coil. Ruined over 10 of them this way only the have them tell me they've never had that problem before and I was doing something wrong. I only know of one way to install and remove a coil.

Torchy

Established Member
They are one time use. Pull them to remove a spark plug and the connection at the plug tears out of the coil. Ruined over 10 of them this way only the have them tell me they've never had that problem before and I was doing something wrong. I only know of one way to install and remove a coil.

Interesting. Was this on a coyote?

Besides CPR, anyone have actual experience with these on a coyote? Dyno results?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
American Muscle made a thread once, said they gained 7 HP from changing coil packs. However, it was forum consensus that that little change could have been dyno error between runs.

Even if they did actually add 7 HP, it wouldn't be worth the money.

beef97

Established Member

I had the EXACT same problem! They acted like they had no clue how it happened! I sent them pictures and everything! Now MSD has come out with their coils also. I've had the granatelli's for over a year now and have never dyno'd the car so can't say if it makes a difference or not.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Plenty of fast cars using stock coil packs, no need for aftermarket coil packs!

phil h

Established Member
My thoughts on coils are if it isnt missing why would you even mess with them? If the stock coils have proven to support over 1200+ hp why would anyone even consider spending money on replacing them? I look at it as a free performance gift from Ford that i dont have to upgrade.

Torchy

Established Member
I had the EXACT same problem! They acted like they had no clue how it happened! I sent them pictures and everything! Now MSD has come out with their coils also. I've had the granatelli's for over a year now and have never dyno'd the car so can't say if it makes a difference or not.

They have a lifetime warranty don't they?

CPRsm

Yeah they had a lifetime warranty. But the Tommy Boy quote applies here. "All you bought was a guaranteed piece of ...... But every time without fail they would strip apart when I would check plugs. The last time I removed them 7 of 8 coils self destructed.
It's so irritating dealing with companies like that. Simply admit there's a problem. It's not the end of the world. Treating people like they're idiots and blaming them for their products short comings is not how you do business.

beef97

Established Member
Yeah they had a lifetime warranty. But the Tommy Boy quote applies here. "All you bought was a guaranteed piece of ...... But every time without fail they would strip apart when I would check plugs. The last time I removed them 7 of 8 coils self destructed.
It's so irritating dealing with companies like that. Simply admit there's a problem. It's not the end of the world. Treating people like they're idiots and blaming them for their products short comings is not how you do business.

I hear ya, I used a ton of dielectric grease and hope they will just slide off next time.....have a feeling they wont but im sure that's my fault right??

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I'd like to do a test to see if anything is there to be gained. I suspect the only way for it produce more power is if they allowed you to open the spark plug gap a bit.

CPRsm

Yep. Then they'll put you on hold and come back and tell you they just slipped one they had there, on and off 50 times and didn't have the problem.

NickSezz

Established Member
The first thing we do with a car/truck that has aftermarket coil packs is remove them and order up a new set of OEM packs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread