Got the car back, runs AWESOME.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Picked the car up from the tuner Saturday morning, and I am VERY surprised to say the least. This guy is a friggin' awesome tuner. With the PT67 turbo and .81 A/R turbine housing, it full spools around 3000rpm, even lower in higher gears. Power comes on HARD and doesn't stop until redline. When my tuner said 450rwhp, I have no reason to doubt it AT ALL. It pulls MUCH harder than any 96-98 Cobra I've ridden in with blowers at less than 10lbs. I don't know that the peak power is too high, but the torque curve is rediculous. I took my buddy for a ride, who has a Whipple'd 03 Cobra @ 19lbs with headers and everything else, and he was VERY impressed. He's had two 03's with a lot done, and thinks it would walk all over a ported/pullied car. Mind you, it wieghs like 3000 flat compared to 3800. Bottom line, it moves very well. The power doesn't stop coming. I got some shitty pics, but they suck.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
What gears are you running? My turbo doesn't seem to reach full boost until 3800-4000 but that's with 4.10's. I was thinking of running 3.27's

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
I have 4.10's, but run 28" tall tires so it's like a 3.70ish gear. The reasonthat mine spools so fast, aside from the .81 A/R turbine housing, is that when I built the two kits, I built one "street kit" and one "race kit." The street kit is on my car now, and I routed both 2.5" crossovers into another 2.5" to bottleneck the pressure before the turbo, hence retarded-fast spooling. The race kit uses bigger-diameter stuff for 700+rwhp. At under about about 700rwhp, it isn't too much of a restriction on peak-power, and it REALLY helped extend the torque curve into the lower-rpms. Most of the other turbo cars I've built made crazy power, but were laggy until 4000-4500. I knew, since I made two kits, that if i wasn't shooting the moon with big numbers, I wanted it to spool super fast...and it DOES. In first it full-spools by 3200-3300 or so, 2nd around 3000, 3rd and 4th around 2800. I also had the tuner work with the timing in order to load the turbo earlier. All I know is i have been driving 400-600rwhp cars a long time, and this car would run with the best of them. I can't wait to drop in the forged stroker with ported heads/intake and run 18lbs. If this is how it runs at 5psi, 15-18 will be NASTY.

SVT Lurch

Good times
Established Member
That sounds nuts man, get some video when you calm down and get a chance Give the rest of us hope.:thumbsup:

scuzzdude2587

Established Member
Video asap please :burnout: car sounds sick, i'm glad not everyone in the world is building a car for 1000rpm of useless peak power these days

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Not selling them as of now. I tried to do it before, but I couldn't bring together the money/time to do it all while going to school. Keep tuned in though, I've got some things happening with a big-name raceshop.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I can't wait to see vids of it in action. It must be seat of the pants fun to have that much power the low in the rpm band.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Oh yeah guys, I forgot to mention that it pulls the tires about 8" up on the street with these 28" tall balloon tires. It's retarded.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Well my friend, I haven't been in the turbo world for very long now, but I am fortunate enough to own a turbo '97 and I don't think I will ever want it any other way!

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Well my friend, I haven't been in the turbo world for very long now, but I am fortunate enough to own a turbo '97 and I don't think I will ever want it any other way!

I could never go back to any other power-adder. Maybe nitrous on a racecar, but never a blower. Turbos or bust.

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
Damn wish you could post up some pics... But sounds like you're having a blast with the car. Congrats!!

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
fixed. ;-)

Oh yeah, i've got kit as well. When I finish this stroker build, I'm running 15-18lbs and a 100-shot. I don't know how the T45 will react, but it doesn't matter, I'll throw in a built auto after it breaks. T45 1/4 mile world-record is in my sights, then I'm going auto/nitrous/turbo/cams, etc. I hope to run deep in the 9's with a streetcar in the next 3 years. I figure, if I can pay-off my Cobra and paint it, turbo it, and do all the other million miscellaneous things as a broke college student, I outta be able to make it run 9's with a decent job and more time to work on it.

Users who are viewing this thread