got ssm15571 done to 01 cobra....

JNYBCOBRA01

Established Member
I took my car in yesterday to get ssm#15571 done for the spark knock, got on it as soon as i left the dealer and it seemed to help very little if any with the pinging.
What the hell do i do know because according to ford its fixed. Are we stuck with pinging cobras? Have any of you had any succes with SSM15571?

I expected a little more than a computer reprogram.

JNYBCOBRA01

Established Member
This is what the SSM states.

"SOME 2001 MUSTANG COBRA MAY EXHIBIT A SPARK KNOCK CONDITION UNDER ACCELERATION. THIS MAY BE CAUSED BEY THE CALIBRATION OF THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM). TO SERVICE, VERIFY CONDITION & REPROGRAM THE PCM WITH THE LATESTCALIBRATION AVAILABLE VIA THE JUST-IN-TIME PROCESS IF YOUR WDS COMMUNICATES WITH FORDSTAR."

My service advisor gave me a copy of the ssm they performed.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Okay, that explains what it's FOR... I knew of this condition already... What do the letters "S-S-M" stand for?? Is it like a TSB?

CbrCpe

Established Member
Originally posted by SVT X 2
Okay, that explains what it's FOR... I knew of this condition already... What do the letters "S-S-M" stand for?? Is it like a TSB?
Special Service Memo(message)

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
I have heard that some owners have had success using half a bottle of octane booster (like 104+) per full tank of premium (93 octane). One owner claimed it "cured" the detonation problem and his car runs like a banshee. If it doesn't work with a half, try a whole bottle. Too high octane can't hurt your car, but it might hurt gas mileage if that's not the problem...

Good luck, I hope the supercharged '03s don't ping :(

SLOWBRA

Established Member
I have a question about this.

I could be wrong, but didn't most people notice that the pinging problems didn't start till after 2-3,000 miles?

I keep seeing that everywhere when I read the posts regarding this problem, if it was simply a Octane "Timing" issue, would it not be present from day 1?

I am just wondering and asking this Question.

Shawn

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by BlackSnake2001
I could be wrong, but didn't most people notice that the pinging problems didn't start till after 2-3,000 miles?

I keep seeing that everywhere when I read the posts regarding this problem, if it was simply a Octane "Timing" issue, would it not be present from day 1?

I am just wondering and asking this Question.

Shawn
Good question. I speculate that it is because most owners wait 2-3,000 miles before they really start pushing their cars to perform at maximum. Just a thought. My '98 has never exhibited detonation, so I can't really relate...

/edit
Let me add that many cars (like the one Evan Smith drove to a low 13 sec. 1/4 for MM&FF) have exhibited NO detonation...

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
I've argued this before...
You shouldn't have to use octane booster at every fill or every other fill to band-aid a problem on a FACTORY STOCK car that shouldn't even exist! I know I'd be a little pissed about that at least... maybe that's just me??

Thanks for the SSM info...

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by SVT X 2
I've argued this before...
You shouldn't have to use octane booster at every fill or every other fill to band-aid a problem on a FACTORY STOCK car that shouldn't even exist! I know I'd be a little pissed about that at least... maybe that's just me??
I agree wholeheartedly that it shouldn't happen coming from the factory, but if an inexpensive band-aid nets you over 280RWHP, that might be livable...

Established Member
I would just really like to know the true reason why the pinging is occuring and why only some Cobras have it. My motor was built 09/00 and I have no ping. If Ford ever finds out exactly why this is happening, do you think they will ever actually release it?

Anyway, good luck, 103

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Originally posted by Blue98Cobra
I agree wholeheartedly that it shouldn't happen coming from the factory, but if an inexpensive band-aid nets you over 280RWHP, that might be livable...
Depends on how much a person drives I guess... can add up, and that takes a nip out of the mods account :sad
Now if Ford were to foot for octane booster.... :idea:

Yellow Snake

Darkside Is Near
Established Member
I have a strong feeling they will never admit to the problem as the repair will be as costly to them as the 99 fix. The problem is not the program with the ECU.
The problem is in the heads. There is said to be access flash in the heads which causes poor cooling, combustion chamber gets too hot thus the pinging starts.
Just wait till it gets to be summer again, a lot of the cars that dont ping now will start when it gets hot. Mine did when it was new, I brought it home in July, it would start to ping after about 30 min in traffic in the HOT Texas air. When the fall came with the cooler temps no ping. I can't get it to ping at all now. I am not looking forward to summer for thats when I feel it will strat all over again.:read:

Established Member
Yellow Snake, what is the build date of your engine? Mine is 09/00 and I have no problems with pinging at all. I bought it in May and had no pinging through the summer here in FL. I took it to the track, sat in the staging lanes for what felt like years and got no pinging. If the flash is the problem, would polishing help?

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by Blue98Cobra

Hell yeah! But i don't have the pinging, coming up on 12,xxx miles too. I'm starting to notice a vibe though, around 65-80 MPH.

Yellow Snake

Darkside Is Near
Established Member
Car build date was 04/10/01 Engine Build date was 04/01/01 I think. Ijust remember the engine date being real close to the car build date.
And yes to the other question. Only if you go through the water passages.

BON has stated it recently as well as a few guys with inside contacts at the Romeo engine plant, on SVTOA

I even starting to wonder if a badder radiator would help but nobody make one yet. like fluidyne or steeda for the 01 cobras.
Also If it true the heads are bottling up the waterflow thus increasing the heat, a raditor the size of a Mack truck would'nt help.

Im just praying that when it get hot again here in Tx it does'nt come back.:read:

Forcedfed

Established Member
.... hmm... engine build date is 04/01.. isnt that April Fools day?.. that cant be good.

.. I have the same pinging problem. My car was built in march.. #135

:cuss:

Shawn

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
My build date is 3/21/01 # 106 and so far the car does not ping. I think this summer it might. Because as you put more miles on your car, carbon will build up on the heads and cause two things to happen. 1) Make your compresion go up. 2) Make it harder for the motor to shed heat. That would help explain why some of the cars start pinging after 4000 or so miles. Combined with poor water flow in the heads, could help cause the ping. I bet the problem is around the # 7 Cyl. My .02 Cents. I think better exhaust and air intake help the motor get rid of heat. I put the Bassani pipes on the first week I had the car. I also think the problem is in the heads.

Tim:xpl:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread