Got some V710s

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
We're usually pretty laid back with a "run what you brung" attitude in STX, this is mainly because we dont have alot of participants, last event was our regional members appreciation "free entry" event and we still had I think 4 cars in STX, including myself. Im out there to have fun, "so is the other mustang guy" and learn more car control. We've got a set of V710s that are in decent shape left over from this season. We're not going to have an 06 ITE season so Im going to use them up. Im really looking forward to going to a sticky tire, just another step in progression up the driving skill ladder. I ran my entire first year of HPDEs on a set of MXs and was told several times that I could move up to race rubber if I wanted to. Cost usually prohibited this, I hope to get to another HPDE this year but it seems doubtful around here, most tracks are done for the year. :nonono: This is also our last autoX for the year. Ill post up with how they work for me. Thanks 2881

SoftBatch

Keep Firing Assholes
Established Member
You'll use those V710s up in a hurry at a HPDE

Also I read what you said about run what you brung but using DOT R Comps in the ST classes goes against the entire establishment of the class.

Last edited:

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
Oh man do I love those tires. I have 550 track miles on my set, and they still have a little left to them.

SoftBatch

Keep Firing Assholes
Established Member
TroyV said:
Oh man do I love those tires. I have 550 track miles on my set, and they still have a little left to them.

Are you talking about multiple laps?

I mean road racing and HPDEs.

Wow I thought they would have fallen apart by then.

TroyV

Established Member
I am not very nice to my tires. I think the the main thing that kills these tires on a mustang is scrubbing them with understeer.....particularly if you are running a lot of negative camber. That scrubbing will kill the inside shoulder of the unloaded tire. Brake a little earlier and get all the turning done in the neutral state, and the tire will last a lot longer. This is especially easy to do an 03 Cobra, because you can throw away the tighter turns, get your self stright and just blast the throttle, and it's time to get the hell outa Dodge!

My track miles are HPDE about 400 miles combined with bout 150 miles of autocross... and I can tell you that autox is a lot harder on these tires than DE's are.

NMCobra

Hey guys .. new to this site although I've been a member for a while. I got into auto-X because my son auto X's his Porsche boxter. Although we are in the same class (AS) he (25 years younger) kick's my butt. On a short course I dont stand a chance but a course with some straight shot's I make up some time. My question, What have you done with your cars, starting from stock to make you car handle better? I have an '03 'vert mostly stock. Installed slotted rotors with braided steel lines, 4 point strut tower brace and Khumo v700's.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
WTF???? Spamming this post with a "Car for Sale" Ad.

There's a forum for that, it's not this one.

fastbird86

Established Member
I just got a '96 Cobra, might get some v710 for the race slick look, but leaning more towards the victoracers, any input on each tire?

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
fastbird86 said:
I just got a '96 Cobra, might get some v710 for the race slick look, but leaning more towards the victoracers, any input on each tire?

"Race slick look" I'm unsure what that is, please clue me in?? Your post makes it sound like you're going to run these tires on the street.

SoftBatch

Keep Firing Assholes
Established Member
99COBRA2881 said:
"Race slick look" I'm unsure what that is, please clue me in?? Your post makes it sound like you're going to run these tires on the street.

That's what it sounded like to me to.

I will have the 710s before my first AutoX next year and will probably end up running them on some HPDEs.

Did you have any overheating problems on your track days with them?

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I didnt have any problems with them but it was cold out that day and cloudy. The track never got up to temp, so I didnt have any troubles. I've heard people talk about them getting greasy after pushing them hard for a long time.

Jed didnt complain any about them this summer, during the SCCA IT races. I think you'll be very happy with the V710s, for the money theyre hard to beat.

Its important to heat cycle the tires to get the max tread life out of them. We cycled them ourselves, run one practice session with them when brand new then take them off the car and let them sit and cool overnight. Then the next morning put them back on the car. This is easy since we had multiple sets of tires. We're not running in '06 so I figure Ill heat cycle my new V710s at an autoX, since I haul the tires there. It'd be good enough to get them heated and then they'll be off the car.

Dammit all this talk about autoX and OT just makes me realize winter really really sucks. haha Anthony

fastbird86

Established Member
99COBRA2881 said:

These Tires will be used for AutoX, most of the guys in FS that I noticed in my area use v710 (that look like a racing slick with grooves cut in, Thus "racing slick look") but most of the guys in ESP (my class) run Victoracers. from what I hear victoracers last longer than the v710 and offer about the same amount of grip, maybe a lil less. Plus from what I hear with victoracers if you slide them they don't fall off like hoosiers and get greasy they come right back and will still grip at pretty much any temp. so I hear.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
That's cool. The term "race slick look" threw me off alittle, alot of guys do things on here just for looks *bling is king*

I've just always heard them called *Race rubber, or race slicks.

If you want to turn some faster times against the guys running the vicotracers in ESP get the V710s you'll be faster. The great thing about the V710s is that they have a very good grip characteristic, they come up to their traction limit slowly before they begin to slid, long enough that you can feel them start to lose grip.

Read my post above about heat cycling them. :beer:

RAT

'05 Sportsman Of The Year
Established Member
fastbird86 said:

Hey Damon,
I drive the red Mach 1 in F-Stock from the Red River Region. I have V710's and they are faster than both V700's. Rick, drives the white Z-28 also in F-Stock, has V710' and Ecsta V700's not the Victoracers, and has said the V710's are a good second faster. I've heard talk of the Victoracers being slower than the Ecsta V700's.
I bought the V710's back in March and still have tread left for a few more events next year. I have flipped the tires on the rim for more life. If you don't abuse the V710's they will last a full season. I have 13 events on them so far and the courses are large where we run. 3 of them were the TLAC events. Even at the thin thread depth they're at now, I finish 1st in PAX today at an autox in Arkansas.
The V700's will last longer but you will be happy with the V710's also.

Good luck with the Cobra. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Last edited:

TroyV

Established Member
99COBRA2881 said:
I didnt have any problems with them but it was cold out that day and cloudy. The track never got up to temp, so I didnt have any troubles. I've heard people talk about them getting greasy after pushing them hard for a long time.

Jed didnt complain any about them this summer, during the SCCA IT races. I think you'll be very happy with the V710s, for the money theyre hard to beat.

Its important to heat cycle the tires to get the max tread life out of them. We cycled them ourselves, run one practice session with them when brand new then take them off the car and let them sit and cool overnight. Then the next morning put them back on the car. This is easy since we had multiple sets of tires. We're not running in '06 so I figure Ill heat cycle my new V710s at an autoX, since I haul the tires there. It'd be good enough to get them heated and then they'll be off the car.

Dammit all this talk about autoX and OT just makes me realize winter really really sucks. haha Anthony

Yes, winter sucks... I just put my Cobra away for winter.

To put my 2 cents in on overheating.. I noticed that the V710 did start to go away on me with about 5 or so minutes left in a 20 minute session. This was in late spring weather for the HPDE I was at. The tires require some cooling between autox runs. Our courses are about 2 miles and have drivers working very hard to get through them. We usually have 5 runs in the afternoon session. The first run is usually the best in terms of the tire's capbility. After that you really need to spray the tires with water to cool them down. The tire will be good for one run of that length unless you lose patience and let the throttle rip the tires loose, then the run is a waste of time after that.

Users who are viewing this thread