got my 1st gen lightning

68 lightning

Established Member
I just got a 93 for super cheep. The PO chopped the top and never got it finished so it has no glass and is going to be hard to take for a test drive. It starts right up and idles decent and the AC works and oil pressure is good. The only code that it is throwing is in the cylinder balance test and I think it is telling me that it knows about the poor compression it has on one cylinder.I have 60lbs on one and around 165lbs on the rest and it does smoke a little so a rebuild is in order.
I want to transplant everything I can from the truck into my 68 Ranchero and later sell the rest. The first big hurdle with the E4OD is that the tailpiece and drive shaft offset 4 inches from center of the truck and to use it would mean modifying a rear to fit and I don,t really want to get into that. It is a shame too because my trans is supposed to have a shift kit and aftermarket stall converter in it. I don,t know if this is true or not maybe when I pull the trans I can identify the stall and shift kit by looking at them I hope. The next problem I have is that my computer is looking for a speed signal from the rear that goes through the speedometer and then to the computer. I can use a vss on the tranz and easily modify it for proper tire size and all but it sends info in pulse widths and it doesn,t look like that is the same kind of info that the RABS is sending from reading my shop manual and there is no way to fool it about tire size changes that I can see. Do you guys see anyway out of this other than going with a new computer and mass airflow? Also I,ve got to say that I have 3 inch exhaust with a Bassani that looks like it is going to fit and the seats are fair to good and they may go in as well.I love the Lightning logo that is on them. Got it all for $1200 so I am real happy.

AZ Rocky

Established Member
Wow, cool project! Have thought about moding the Lightning rear axle to work in the Rancho? That would allow you to use the oem Lightning drive train and computer. Might be less painful in the long run.

68 lightning

Established Member
Wow, cool project! Have thought about modding the Lightning rear axle to work in the Ranchero? That would allow you to use the oem Lightning drive train and computer. Might be less painful in the long run.
Oh yeah I think about it all the time. I have been reading a thread where a guy got a 460 and E4OD in his 71 Fairlane and the tranz tunel mods didn,t look as bad as I would have imagined. It sure would be nice to use the aluminum driveshaft also and it is too short for anything but an E4OD and the traction bars are real cool also but I have had my heart set on getting a cobra independent rear in there and they have a kit now where they are getting them in 65-70 mustangs so there is hope for the Ranchero.
I have had my head in the shop manual all day today and am now thinking that the RABS is sending pulse widths just like a regular VSS that goes in the tranz so I guess i will get one from the junk yard run it through the connector on the RABS and see what happens. If it works at all then it can eazly be calibrated for the shorter tires I will be running. I hope I don,t burn something up because really I only half know what I am doing.

Blacknsilvr

2ND Shift Racing
Established Member
I think I saw mention of drag bars on the Gen one. I'd LOVE to have them if you wanna sell em.

68 lightning

Established Member
if you are going to part that truck out (or sell some shit you dont need)

I might be interested in the PSOM/Speedometer
I am not ready to sell anything off it just yet. I,m still studying the book and trying to figure out how everything works on it. But it.s nice to see that somebody has an interest in the parts. There is lots of neat stuff on there. I took the front bumper off today to get it on a tow dolly and am thinking the sway bar is Lightning specific and maybe the air dam and fog lamps,I don,t know. In a way it is a shame that I am not just cloning a Lightning with a good 93 F150 body but you know I love my Ranchero. I,ll be around asking questions because I am new at this restomod stuff and trying to sell parts later for sure.

Blacknsilvr

2ND Shift Racing
Established Member
Gotcha
A lot of that stuff is lightning specific. I know the frames are atleast. Air dam and fog lights are L specific as well. Too bad your L doesn't have windows in it, they are fun to drive. Whenever you get ready to sell some stuff drop me a line. Me and two other friends of mine have Gen 1's. We are always looking for spare stuff.

Post up some pics of the truck if you get a chance.

Last edited:

68 lightning

Established Member
Gotcha
A lot of that stuff is lightning specific. I know the frames are atleast. Air dam and fog lights are L specific as well. Too bad your L doesn't have windows in it, they are fun to drive. Whenever you get ready to sell some stuff drop me a line. Me and two other friends of mine have Gen 1's. We are always looking for spare stuff.

Post up some pics of the truck if you get a chance.

5c002xblj
OK, I just joined Image shack and here is on of the picks. Lets see how it comes out.

68 lightning

Established Member
OK I got a pick uploaded to photoshop and it will let me copy it but I can not paist it to this reply. When I hit the image icon it asks for my url and there is about 5 of them at photo shop and none of them will copy and when I try to copy them manualy they do not come through. I hate to bug everybody but what am I missing?

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
email me the pictures ill put them up in the thread

PM me ill send you my email... I'd post it here but..... this is SVTP :D

Also, the fog lights arent exactly "lightning specific" they also came on older nissan pathfinders, they were made by bosch... However I do have a lightning airdam for my truck so I MAY be interested in the fog lights, mounting brackets and the fog lights switch/plug (if the switch/plug are in good shape)

I'll see, I'm in the process of piecing together a 4" lift so...

anyways, PM me ill help you put the pics up

Blacknsilvr

2ND Shift Racing
Established Member
I understand what you are saying about the fogs and air dam. I was trying to say that you couldn't get them on any other trim package on that year model truck. Take a look at all the newer motor homes running around. Seems like their headlights and tail lights aren't Ford or Chevy specific either.

Last edited:

68 lightning

Established Member
copy the direct link, and wrap that in
tags :)

Jeez that motor is filthy! Is your ranchero going to be staying EFI or are you switching the motor to carb?

Oh yeah, it,s got to be EFI. It is just another lame 351W without the Lightning manifolds at least. It is going to be a real challenge for me but that is the mission.I am going to try to keep it speed density and reuse the harness to save a few bucks.Latter I would like to learn and reap the benefits of tweecer or eec tuner and all that good stuff as well. But I realize I have a lot to learn still.
I think I found a place for a test drive soon. I will feel a lot better if I know the tranz acts OK and the rear is quiet and everything. I am hoping that it will set me back in the seat a little but am not expecting too much because I know it is just running on 7 and 1/2 cylinders ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread