Got kids? Your advice is needed...

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
So, as most of you know, my wife and I are expecting our first child. She's due on or about November 6th of this year. We'll find out soon what gender our child is, which will help a little in preparation for the baby.

Here are the 2 questions I have for each of you parents out there (old or new):

What 1 item did you find most useful as new parents?
What 1 item was a waste of money?

Any helpful advice would be much appreciated. Thanks a bunch! :beer:

blowns281

GARAGE QUEEN
Established Member
Def get a pack and play with the changing table and a good bouncy seat!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont buy a alot of clothes, they grow so fast, she didnt even get to wear half the stuff we bought.

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
Def get a pack and play with the changing table and a good bouncy seat!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont buy a alot of clothes, they grow so fast, she didnt even get to wear half the stuff we bought.

Good advice there!

Buy everything in small quantity at first because of possible allergies. Diapers, powder, lotion, food, etc. Once things start to settle in you can buy in larger quantities.

dragon40k

Established Member

Thats good advice.
Make sure you get a car seat (or stroller combo) that is easy to get the kid in and out of. If the latching system is too complicated its a real pain to take the little buggers around.
Don't buy any of those diaper trash cans. Just put them in your regular trash.

NeverFastEngh

Established Member

Agreed.

That and the best toys to them are simple things like water bottles, tv remotes, and cell phones. I wouldnt give them a passifier. We did with my daughter and she cant live without it. My son (youngest) never got one and he is as happy as can be. If you can get them to sleep and calm down without one i highly recomend it.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
When our kids were infants, we just let them go out and play with the dinosaurs.
I don't think I have much advice to offer. :rolleyes:

Really, Sean, while most items have probably changes since we had kids, the best advice I can offer is find time for sleep. With newborns, that's what you'll miss most!

And a FORD onesy, of course. :D

mystic04

Established Member
Get a 4 door SUV or car, 2 door car and car seat is a real pain getting them in the back seat.Like said above sleep , you catch some sleep when they do other wise your running on empty.Plus if you have a dog or cat make sure you are around all the time cats like to climb in the crib sometimes and sleep next to the baby and could smother them, dogs on the other hand could bite so interduce the dog and cat to the baby, and always be close by never leave them alone till your sure they get along well and just waite till he/she starts to wonder on the floor then it's child proof time,cause they will get into anything thats not locked down. carefull of basements doors stairs ,gates are your friends

Last edited:

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member

Oh, and a good video baby monitor. Those are worth their weight in gold......

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
So, as most of you know, my wife and I are expecting our first child. She's due on or about November 6th of this year. We'll find out soon what gender our child is, which will help a little in preparation for the baby.

Here are the 2 questions I have for each of you parents out there (old or new):

What 1 item did you find most useful as new parents?
What 1 item was a waste of money?

Any helpful advice would be much appreciated. Thanks a bunch! :beer:

When we were new parents, the best thing to have for us was the battery operated swing.

VAMPIR3

Established Member
Def. get a pack n play! If you have a baby shower ask for diapers, wipes, and formula!!! You go thru all of that stuff faster than you can imagine and it adds up!

And lastly...... HOSPITAL MASK!! I gaged my ass off when I had to change a nasty shitty diaper:xpl:

TNTLightning

DSG Terminator
Established Member
Get a good bouncy seat with a vibrator built in. My son used his until he was big enough that when he got in it, it touched the floor. LoL The vibrator would put him to sleep. Also, get a good stuffed animal--something small that he/she can hold onto. We got him a big high chair and never ended up using it, he likes his booster chair better ever since he could sit up.

MaCaNs

Filth, Flarn, Filth
Established Member
Pack and play and a good swing are good. and yes my son has so many clothes he has never wore its sickening so don't go crazy with clothes right away, even though wifey will want to.

Finding out the sex?? Don't do it! Much more fun if you don't. Just my $.02

Good luck bro on the life changer!

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
Yea all these guys pretty much summed it up. I found those little safety locks that they make for your bottom kitchen cabinets helpful. Once you teach them not to mess with it, just take them off. The ones i had, had 2 small screws nothing a little colored wood filler wont fix. If your worried about the tiny screw holes on the inside of your cabinets. I love kids, they give you a reason to put a video system in your new suv but now days they already come with it!! That takes the fun out IMO.

blown86

FLPNOUT
Established Member
Thats good advice.
Make sure you get a car seat (or stroller combo) that is easy to get the kid in and out of. If the latching system is too complicated its a real pain to take the little buggers around.
Don't buy any of those diaper trash cans. Just put them in your regular trash.

+1 those diaper genies are worthless, I prefer the brand Britax for car seats they are the easiest seats to install

MachsFastr

Established Member
My girls loved a swing. One of those wind up ones for inside and we put up a swing outside by our porch swing for them. Many peaceful hours in those.

Evs04Snake

Established Member
First of all, congratulations to you both!
Im a firm beleiver that the first 5 years is extremely important for how a child is "wired". Make whatever sacrifices you have to make and have one of you stay home for the first 5 years and teach, teach ,teach the child anything and everything you can as opposed to taking him or her to daycare everyday.
Oh and take lots of pictures....they will increase in value as the years roll by.
Good luck and enjoy!

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
+1 those diaper genies are worthless, I prefer the brand Britax for car seats they are the easiest seats to install

We have Britax...a little more expensive than others, but it rocks! :rockon:
We looked online for a seat where the seat cover design was discontinued and got the seat for $100 less than retail! :banana:

Also, I see you live in MD. It gets cold there; rather than bundle the little bugger up in a coat or coverall then putting him in the car seat carrier, get one of those zip up pods that fit right into the carrier and you can put baby in, zip it up and go. Much easier than trying fit the kid into the carrier after bundling him up. I can't explain this thing better, ask your wife; I'm sure she knows what the hell I'm talking about.

BTW, we just found out we're expecting #2! :banana:

First discussion that took place and the decision has already been made: WE'RE KEEPING THE COBRA! :banana::banana::banana::banana:

Users who are viewing this thread