Got GREAT news today, still need prayers

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Long story short, my best friend's younger brother was injured last year and suffered internal bleeding and fluid build up around his left lung which caused it to collapse. He was treated and later released after about a week in the hospital. A couple of weeks ago he was short of breath again while working and returned to the hospital. Same issue again. This time they also found fluid around his heart that needed emergency surgery to be removed. The fluid was tested and it came back cancerous. He was later diagnosed with inoperable stage 4 lung cancer. :( How the first hospital never caught it, I don't know. He's only 37 and has never smoked in his life either. Just one of those bad things that happens to very good people unfortunately.

How is this good news? It's not, BUT while visiting him today the Oncologist came in to tell us that his cancer tested positive for an ALK mutation. Roughly 3% of people with lung cancer have it, but there is a new medicine now that can treat it. Without getting all technical, since he has the ALK mutation, this new medicine can basically keep the cancer under control. It's not 100% effective, but there's a good chance this will help him. Obviously it's not a cure, as there is no cure yet for what he has, but anything that can help him prolong his life and have a better quality of life, I'm all for it.

For those that are inclined to do such things, any thoughts and prayers for him and his wonderful family (4 brothers that I'm very close with, just awesome people that'd give you the shirts off their backs with no questions asked) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and you can beat this Jeff! :rockon:

Yellazxr

Established Member
Best of luck to him, I hope that he is able to beat this thing and have a great quality of life while doing so. God Bless!

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Prayers on the way. Very glad to hear about the ALK treatment. I hope they can do more than just stop it, I hope they find a way to cure it.

Just_A_GT

Established Member
Quick prayer for Jeff was said. Wake up calls like this remind us cherish every moment we have with the ones we love.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Prayers his way! He is in a great place, Houston has some of the best hospitals in the country and cancer treatment has come a long way. My 2yr old son beat liver cancer. We drive 4hrs monthly to TCH for appointments.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Thanks guys.

Prayers his way! He is in a great place, Houston has some of the best hospitals in the country and cancer treatment has come a long way. My 2yr old son beat liver cancer. We drive 4hrs monthly to TCH for appointments.

Best cancer facilities in the world. He's in good hands.

What's the name of the meds?

Xalkori.

HFBPA889

BOOST MAKES ME HAPPY!!!
Established Member
My thoughts and prayers go out to Jeff and his family, stay strong. Sounds like his treatment is going in a positive direction.

ssssnake

Established Member
I just said a prayer for Jeff, and more will come. Please let him know we're all praying for him. I ask the Lord, the great physician, to touch him and take his cancer away, to keep him and his family strong and to guide his doctors to make the best decisions for him.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Also, all of these guys are veterans. All served in the Marines and Jeff did multiple tours in Iraq. Also did several more years in Iraq as a contractor.

Users who are viewing this thread