Got any pics of where you installed your oil scavenge pump's.

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
I recommend to everyone that they install restrictors. Solidsnak3 you are 100% right about the different size restrictors, ball bearing turbos require even less oil than journal bearings so they must use a small restrictor.

These are restrictors from ATPTurbo for GT series turbos: (0.035")
gtoilinlet035-01.jpg

And for Journal bearing from ATPTurbo: (0.065")
oil022-01.jpg

Function7 make beautiful restrictor feed flanges and that is what I went with (you can see them bolted onto my turbos in my turbos pic). They also make nice drain flanges, I went with the 1/2" NPT ones and used barbed nipples and 1/2" hydraulic hose.

I definitely think everyone should run them in their cobra!

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
agreed! i just ordered the .065 from apt but i am also going with a -3 line.

use restrictors, have a pump or a HUGE drain line,(bigger then -10 imo) and vent your crankcase!

TTBEAST

Established Member
My turbos are ball bearing. Do you think i will still need restrictors with my scavenge pump?? I hope i did not damage to my turbos. What size is -10 line ? 5/8 3/4 . Compare it to something. My lines that come from my turbos look like 5/8 rubber hose.

TTBEAST

Established Member
Thank you. Solidsnak3 I have lost of 5/8 and 3/4 line but i will stick with the 5/8. Ill post pics tomorrow of my pump mounted. No more smoke :) Funny thing is that my car is still dead. I cannot find out why my car does not have power and im worriend about the scavenge pump.

TRBO VNM

I do like those flanges. I need to pick some up. that and a 90 degree swivel fitting for the feed. I can't wait to start building the car. it has been a while and I just have parts gathering..lol.

TTBEAST

Established Member
My turbos are mounted in my engine bay anyone have pics on where to put the scavenge pump im haveing a hard time finding a spot.??

sonicsaleen

1st or last
Established Member
I made a bracket and welded it to the bottom the radiator support right under the abs module. You will take out your bumper and rack before the pump get smashed. I get my oil drain fittings tomorrow ill get pics for ya. I just need somewhere to tie my power into. Cant find a power source in the engine bay without tearing it apart.

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
I made an aluminum bracket and bolted mine onto the lower rad support. It wasn't too hard and it worked out pretty well. You can see it in this picture from the first page of the thread:

CIMG2977.jpg

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
I made a bracket and welded it to the bottom the radiator support right under the abs module. You will take out your bumper and rack before the pump get smashed. I get my oil drain fittings tomorrow ill get pics for ya. I just need somewhere to tie my power into. Cant find a power source in the engine bay without tearing it apart.
I used the power from My stock intercooler pump relay. When you ground out one of the other wires in the relay, it takes the ecu control off the relay, and is now a 12V switched source. I also wired a warning light to the power feeding my pump, so If I ever lose power to the pump, the light will go out.

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
I used the power from My stock intercooler pump relay. When you ground out one of the other wires in the relay, it takes the ecu control off the relay, and is now a 12V switched source. I also wired a warning light to the power feeding my pump, so If I ever lose power to the pump, the light will go out.

The light is a great idea, I guess I would notice the light before I noticed the smoke bailing out of the back of my car :)

It would be nice to make it so the light comes on when you lose power to the pump though instead because having a light on all the time is a little silly...

TheHolyCobra

Widened 10th Wheel Guy...
Established Member
The light is a great idea, I guess I would notice the light before I noticed the smoke bailing out of the back of my car :)

It would be nice to make it so the light comes on when you lose power to the pump though instead because having a light on all the time is a little silly...

I talked with Hellion the other day about this, and they have a pretty trick little setup on the GT500 TT cars. They wire up a hobbs switch in the scavenge pump setup to an LED light, so when the pump stops sucking oil (or doesn't create enough vacuum) then it trips the switch which turns the LED on. If I remember correctly it is a vacuum operated switch, but I may be wrong. I'm waiting to get an email back from Craig @ Hellion which will hopefully explain a little more.

TTBEAST

Established Member
I bought a pressure sensor switch that goes inline after the pump with an indicator telling me if the pump is working properly. If its not working your going to be SOL and so are your turbos, possibly your motor.

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
That's gonna have to be a pretty sensitive pressure switch! I can't see there being much pressure on the discharge of my pump, very negligible!

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
I talked with Hellion the other day about this, and they have a pretty trick little setup on the GT500 TT cars. They wire up a hobbs switch in the scavenge pump setup to an LED light, so when the pump stops sucking oil (or doesn't create enough vacuum) then it trips the switch which turns the LED on. If I remember correctly it is a vacuum operated switch, but I may be wrong. I'm waiting to get an email back from Craig @ Hellion which will hopefully explain a little more.

That's pretty sweet. I just did my light for quick insurance. If I can find a hobbs switch like that, I will def do it that way. My pump draws about 9 in of vacuum all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread