Got a small dent in oil pan...need some advice

greenflash00

Established Member
Well I was changing the oil today and was lowering the car down with my jack (under k member). I always use a 2x4 with a jack to keep from denting things up. Anyway when the car came down the 2x4 was a bit too far back and it dented in the pan some.

It's not making any contact noise b/c it's on the very front and oil pressure seems fine but nevertheless it is a bit concerning. It's not an intrusion dent more just a flat pressed in spot from the wood. It's the very front of the pan but before the pickup spot on the sump in the center.

Drive it? Or is it time for some longtubes? :lol1::banana:

Stanger00

Established Member
Jack the car from the sub frames next time...Jack the car from the control arms next time...

Oh you wanted advice for the oil pan. Cant help you with that besides the obvious of dropping the k-member and removing the oil pan and using a hammer to take the dent out.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
pickup is at rear of pan so if its just a small dent in the front you should be fine. pictures would help a lot...

Cobra03SC

Established Member
If it was bad enough to do any sort of damage you will hear it for sure when your crank comes around and knocks the oil pan flaps... Like you said, it doesnt make noise, you are probably ok in the front.

greenflash00

Established Member
Thanks for the answers guys...didnt think to take a pic when I had it up in the air but I'm confident it's fine. It's right on the sump there and I've driven it today with no signs of problems so I'm just gonna drive it and maybe replace when I do longtubes later.

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
I have a pan off my 03 cobra. I had 40k miles on it. I went with a bigger pan when i did my turbo set up. If you need it let me know. Will let it go cheap.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
If it's a smaller dent in the front your good, no real need to replace it. Like others said post a pic just to be sure though. Do not pull the pan off and hammer out the dent. You'll only make the metal weaker.

With that said I have a slightly used canton pan I'd sell you if you want an upgrade!

Users who are viewing this thread