got a quote back from my shop.....ouch

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Called up what used to be SuperTune in Stillwell KS about a quote on some work on my car. Place still has the same owner but a new name new manager and definitely a new pricing scale. I wanted my transmission built and a new clutch put in along with the various recommended accoutrements. New guy wasn't too interested in doing it so I asked about also having a Whipple 2.9 installed as well as tuning work done. Apparently that was enough to get his attention. Got the quote back today. $10,348. Ouchie. Now I remember why I turn my own damn wrenches.

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
Depending on what all parts you would be getting would dictate my answer..if it was just blower, tune and install, then I think that's way high.

04svtsnke

Established Member
As the others have said, if all that includes the blower and supporting mods, plus parts for the tranny and labor then maybe not bad. I paid fastlane 430 for a clutch and input shaft install. That was with them adding a race bearing to the shaft and royal purple tranny fluid. What are you getting installed in your trans to make it bullet proof?

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Most of the stuff was within reason. At first glance you could say "yeah that sounds about right". Then I looked deeper on the quote....$500 to install a firewall adjuster and quadrant? Really? As for the transmission it would have been what RPM Transmissions calls a stage 2. At least that's what the statement says. Not micro polished either. Included a McCloud RXT twin disc. A grand for labor on the transmission r&r too. Maybe this is in line with what stuff costs. No one else has turned a wrench on this car since I bought it years ago. Tuning is the only thing I have paid to have done.

brendan.9

Svt Turkey Farmer
Established Member
Not bad I went to my local speed shop and wanted 3 gauges put in and a thermostat and 1 of my old ones moved from old place to another which would take 5 min from when i looked at it. well they said about 700 could be less just to put in 3 gauges that's retarded.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
$125 per hour. I respect where the guy is trying to go with the shop. I am not sure though how far down that path I want to carry the weight.

Last edited:

black 10th vert

Established Member
Well, I get that a business needs to make a profit to stay in business, but it doesn't mean that all of it needs to come from one customer! Seems like a self destructive cycle we are on now economically. People are not getting the volume of business that they used to, and with rising operating costs they need to charge more. What happens? They end up scalping their remaining customer base even harder. Very sad situation...

OP, you never said whether that $10,348 included all parts including the blower. Also was that inclusive of all the trans work too, or was that a separate thing. I am a bit confused because you said he at first wasn't interested in the trans stuff until you mentioned the blower change, so I am assuming that he then added the trans stuff in with the blower r&r - correct? If so, it may be a bit on the high side, but there is a lot of work all together, and if parts are being included, it may be a fair price.

TRBO VNM

This makes me sick to my stomach. I feel so bad for those that are actually stuck paying fees like that. it takes 20 min to install a firewall adjuster and quadrant and 2-2.5hrs to do a clutch swap.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
$750 to r&r blowers. $1000 to r&r the transmission. Another $250 to r&r the clutch. $500 to r&r the quadrant and firewall adjuster. $450 tuning. This is not a crusher kit 2.9 nor is it polished and it does not include the single blade throttle body. The transmission upgrades were priced at $1699 with labor on top of that.
I don't need these guys because I can do all this stuff myself. I have a lift in my shop and I can borrow a transmission hoist. I pulled my Eaton and ported it myself a few years ago and it worked out very well. Time is my biggest constraint now and if i could buy someone else's time for the same or less than my own time is worth I would consider it. However there seems to be too much unjustifiable time in this bid for me to accept it and give them the job.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
And no he was not interested in the transmission and clutch work alone. When I threw out the idea of quoting it with the Whipple, install, and final tuning he perked up. I have sent and received enough bids on work to know that when one comes in or goes out exorbitantly high it is a veiled indicator of the fact that the bidder doesn't necessarily want the work. So the bid is inflated to make it worthwhile for the bidder if he gets the job...and if he doesn't its no big deal since he wasn't that interested to begin with.

sabotage

corn fed!!!!!!
Established Member
that guy is going by the book($1,000 labor to remove trans hahaha)thats 9 hours he's crazy...!!!!! it took me 41/2 hours remove tranny install 26spline input shaft, sleeve, flywheel, mcleod clutch and kooks headers .....hes crazy do it your self and use the money for that labor towards other goodies....:shrug:

TRBO VNM

In this economy places should be happy they are receiving phone calls to do work. Amazing that places will still try to rip you off with the way things are right now.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Its nice to have my opinion on the quote reinforced. I had reservations about posting this because I thought maybe I was simply detached from today's pricing. Apparently that is not the case. Looks like I need a new shop which kind of sucks but my old one is effectively nonexistent.

steve5575

Established Member
In this economy places should be happy they are receiving phone calls to do work. Amazing that places will still try to rip you off with the way things are right now.

My thoughts exactly!!!

If your time is valuable then try and find a good reputable shop that is a bit more hungry. I always hate that inflated, not really interested bid crap. He should have been honest and told you thanks but no thanks from the begining.

Oh well...

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Just got off the phone with rpm transmissions. I can ship my transmission directly to them for their level 5 upgrade which includes all the bells and whistles and fancy bits for $1626 plus shipping. I'll call lethal and see what kind of package deal they can work for me on the clutch, blower, TB, and miscellaneous bits when I'm ready.

Users who are viewing this thread