Gopher Hawk 1, Pocket Gopher 0

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
@Weather Man

Gopher Hawk - Made in USA
Homepage - GopherHawk

- Fresh pocket gopher mound early this a.m., same place as last week.
- Newly procured Gopher Hawks delpoyed.
- Large gray probe to create trap hole has steel rod w/handle to locate runway.

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 6.55.54 AM.png

- Set 2 traps
- Wasn’t 1/2 hour and one was triggered (yellow shaft shows).

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 7.31.23 AM.png

Caught the front leg

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 6.56.10 AM.png

Impressive claws

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 6.57.22 AM.png

Supposed to work with moles too.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I've had good luck using these for moles. Also made in USA:

IDK, the Gopher Hawk sits higher once set, so it may require something along side to hold it vertical since moles burrow closer to the surface. I will try the GH on the next mole.

AssPikle

Established Member
I've had good luck using these for moles. Also made in USA:

IDK, the Gopher Hawk sits higher once set, so it may require something along side to hold it vertical since moles burrow closer to the surface. I will try the GH on the next mole.
Interesting. Mayne that is a better option

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Yesterday a bud tried to order one off of Amazon, but the price gougers are out in full force.
He ordered directly from GH, free shipping too:
Starter - GopherHawk

He has moles & gophers he's going to try it on. I'll post his results when I hear.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Horses are at risk of stepping in their holes and breaking a leg. I used to take them out with a .22 or a shotgun.

I remember visiting a friend of my parents, out on a farm, when I was like 12 years old. We roll up and he was at the edge of his fields trying to find one. He handed me his .22 and went off to talk with my parents. He said if you see the ground moving, shoot it.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
A friend of mine made a contraption using a 410 shell. He had it rigged up somehow so when they would pop up from their holes it would pop them right in the head.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
Take any gas engine, put a hose from the exhaust into the hole and cover other holes. Let it run for 15-20 minutes, dead gophers or moles with no mess. Fill all holes with dirt after, check in weekly to ensure there isn't new activity.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Take any gas engine, put a hose from the exhaust into the hole and cover other holes. Let it run for 15-20 minutes, dead gophers or moles with no mess. Fill all holes with dirt after, check in weekly to ensure there isn't new activity.
Not a bad idea. We had a ground hog under some concrete stairs and tried everything to snuff him out for two years. I finally bought a couple of gas/smoke bombs that you light and toss into their burrow. After tossing it, I covered the hole (didn't have to find the other one for some reason) and never saw him again. I assume that he suffocated in the hole. So I like your exhaust idea. I also like those Gopher Hawks.

I noticed evidence of groundhog burrows under our church parking lot yesterday. There's a 20 ft. long dirt mound about 6" high where the asphalt parking lot butts up to a concrete loading dock. So somehow those suckers are burrowing under the parking lot from a fenced area 30' away. I had read that they can burrow under basement floors and parking lots, but it didn't seem possible. I guess they really can. :eek:

Sn95Snake

Established Member
They can burrow under almost anything. I work for pest control and the most effective ways to get them are either the engine idea I posted earlier or we have multiple types of bait we use.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yeah, that's what I found out in my research. Tough little critters.

Users who are viewing this thread