Gooseneck or Bumper pull?

Mad_Marc

Procharged!
Established Member
So I've been thinking about getting an enclosed trailer. Reason is because I'm paying almost 200/month on a storage unit. Only thing I really keep in there are car parts, quads and dirtbike.. I also rent a trailer quite often to tow car to tuner, track, etc.. My plan was to buy a trailer, store quads and dirtbike in it, when I need it for the car I can drop toys off at the house and load car up. We have an rv/trailer storage lot on base for about 10 dollars a month so parking/storing trailer won't be an issue.

I've been searching online and looking at truck forums, gooseneck has better stability, not sure if gooseneck will be best for me. I have been looking at something like a 24-44 ft gooseneck or bumper pull. Eventually I would want to make it like a race trailer with generator, tools, etc.

What would you all recommend? I'm open to opinions.

My truck is a 2005 F250 SRW 6.0 powerstroke

Dieselmanri

Established Member
Gooseneck all the way!!! Whenever you have a choice to get either, always go for a gooseneck or fifth wheel. Towing is much more stable and secure.

HTH

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I've pulled both quite a lot. If you're going to tow often nothing beats a gooseneck. I wouldn't go over about 36 feet of total length with your truck though.

Mad_Marc

Procharged!
Established Member
So a few more questions, my truck has a 6 in lift, I have 35s on it now but also have some smaller rims with 33 e rated tires. Will gooseneck be a problem?

Also would you recommend buying new or used?

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
I have pulled both types. Fifth wheel all the way, a lot more stable and easier to maneuver in my opinion.
Having a 6" lift is going to pose a problem. The fifth wheel must be pretty much level as it rides on the towing unit. If not, your going to be in big trouble trying to turn.
In this case, you are probably better off with a bumper pull with a drop hitch. Don't forget to put sway bars on bumper pull.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Yeah if you're lifted you're pretty much stuck with a bumper. Buddy has a lifted F350 SRW and he tows his 28 foot race trailer on the bumper.

Jenkins

Established Member
since it will be used for storage and your not towing "a lot" i would stick with bumper cause it will be cheaper and you can keep your DD looking slick on the 6 inch lift

Sof Top

boost junkie!
Established Member
+1 Gooseneck, +1 Used, Pulling a GN with a lifted truck isnt ideal, but it can be done.

stroked mach

Established Member
I would be happy with a bumper hitch bc like said you wont pull it a lot and we pull race trailors all the time on the bumper and never any problems get you a 24-26 foot and should be plenty and cheep

YJSONLY

Established Member
If it was me I would get a GN. Unless your trailer pulls are very short. Ride wise a bumper blows compared to a GN.

Mad_Marc

Procharged!
Established Member
Im thinking gooseneck, I dont tow too often, when i do tow its several hours. Track is about 3-4 hours away and its about an 8 hour drive to AED.

I will have to go to AED again in the near future with new setup. I have found some used goosenecks anywhere from 8-11k for a 32-36 footer and bumper pulls from 5-10k for a 24-26.

Noticed the really cheap ones on ebay from GA area.... Anyone know anything about these?

YJSONLY

Established Member
Im thinking gooseneck, I dont tow too often, when i do tow its several hours. Track is about 3-4 hours away and its about an 8 hour drive to AED.

I will have to go to AED again in the near future with new setup. I have found some used goosenecks anywhere from 8-11k for a 32-36 footer and bumper pulls from 5-10k for a 24-26.

Noticed the really cheap ones on ebay from GA area.... Anyone know anything about these?

If it the place I am thinking you have found ....there is a place in GA off of I75 that is where they make all kinds of trailers and will custom build one too for you.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

Remember that goosenecks are typically measured by the length of the flat load floor. Add another 8 feet (for the upper deck) to get the over all length.

Mad_Marc

Procharged!
Established Member
I am not sure which one it is, I just noticed that pretty much every gooseneck on ebay is from GA and they are CHEAP! 36 ft gooseneck brand new for 9k.

I will need a V nose since i have a sort bed right? Or is that only for the short bed ram trucks?

YJSONLY

Established Member
I am not sure which one it is, I just noticed that pretty much every gooseneck on ebay is from GA and they are CHEAP! 36 ft gooseneck brand new for 9k.

I will need a V nose since i have a sort bed right? Or is that only for the short bed ram trucks?

What I would do if you have new trailer money get one that will fit with your truck lift if you want to keep it. You are not the first to do this and I am sure if you call the trailer company they can help you and build to your needs.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

A tapered nose isn't a must, but you'll have to be more careful without one. A set-back ball would be a good purchase; that's what I use.

Users who are viewing this thread