Goodyears 1 - Ice Storm 0

zr1gerhardt

You can't outrun ugly!
Established Member
Went on a business trip this week in Houston from Baton Rouge. I took the GT500 because who in the heck thought we could get snow and an ice storm along the coast!

Well we did, and I drove the car in constant 30F temps with sleet today. Bad Idea? Nope. The car slid only once and I turned into the slide and corrected it. Car was outstanding in the weather.

I only made it half way home as the interstate was closed. I checked the tires with a flashlight and saw no cracks.

The only down side is that I probably have some road rash on the paint from the crap thrown on the street, but this is my everyday car and will be used like one.

The real danger is the "soccer moms" in their SUVs and big trucks doing 90 mph feeling invincible in their autos.

Scott

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Went on a business trip this week in Houston from Baton Rouge. I took the GT500 because who in the heck thought we could get snow and an ice storm along the coast!

Well we did, and I drove the car in constant 30F temps with sleet today. Bad Idea? Nope. The car slid only once and I turned into the slide and corrected it. Car was outstanding in the weather.

I only made it half way home as the interstate was closed. I checked the tires with a flashlight and saw no cracks.

The only down side is that I probably have some road rash on the paint from the crap thrown on the street, but this is my everyday car and will be used like one.

The real danger is the "soccer moms" in their SUVs and big trucks doing 90 mph feeling invincible in their autos.

I definitely prefer MPSS over OEM GYs, but my experience mirrors yours. I drove mine home (to Colorado) from the dealer (in Seattle) over Veterans' Day weekend in 2012, through cold temps and inclement weather in eastern OR and western WY. The car was surprisingly stable throughout, making it home without a single slip/slide. BTW, your assessment of idiots in SUVs is spot-on! :beer:

Pete Grimaldi

Established Member

Scott

While on their cell phones, drinking a coffee and sometimes smoking a cigarette all at the same time! No exaggeration. This is scary even in summer weather up here in New England.

Pete

T3RMIN8TOR

Established Member
I have to agree about the "soccer moms". Sure the SUV's can drive through the snow, but they have a false sense of reality because they can't stop as well as they believe they can making them dangerous.

Curz

Established Member
Ive driven the OEMs in 20s and 30s. They are ok.
a bit overreaction on these tires by some

svt662

Established Member
While on their cell phones, drinking a coffee and sometimes smoking a cigarette all at the same time! No exaggeration. This is scary even in summer weather up here in New England.

Pete
+1 Is this your first Shelby?

SlowSVT

Established Member

Scott

Well folks he is an endorsement to drive your GT500 in the snow it's safe to do!

:dw:

.........and all this time I thought driving my Terminator in the rain was a bad idea :nonono:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Well, you've proven the car won't kill you if you drive responsibly, but I'm pretty confident the stock GYs will not tolerate any lapse of concentration in cold temps.
Not something the average driver can safely do. I tend to think the members here are a bit above average, but physics is physics :)
-J

Mackey

Established Member
I drove mine in colder temps once as well when I first got it.

No issues with it until you step down a little hard or hit a shift hard!

zr1gerhardt

You can't outrun ugly!
Established Member
Well, you've proven the car won't kill you if you drive responsibly, but I'm pretty confident the stock GYs will not tolerate any lapse of concentration in cold temps.
Not something the average driver can safely do. I tend to think the members here are a bit above average, but physics is physics :)
-J

I drove nice and smooth, no quick sudden moves or acceleration. Car was fine. Much better than the ladies driving their 4wd SUVs 90 mph, my guess is they did not even know how to turn their 4wd on. :eek:

zr1gerhardt

You can't outrun ugly!
Established Member
Forgot to mention, I came across a 2007-2009 GT500 driving along also. Not sure what tires he had, but he was doing fine also.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator

NametoShowOther

Established Member
Be careful out there. The typical ponycar wasn't designed for driving in the snow. Whether you're at 200hp or 800hp, the low profile tires typically adorning these cars can get you when you least expect it.

A sad story from last week in Ohio.

Serious Crash Closes Road in Medina County | FOX8.com

He was an enthusiast just like us.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...1073741828.1705217616&type=1&relevant_count=1

You are very much correct. Most of us can drive these cars on stock GY's in most conditions and get away with it. As a guy who has driven in the rockey mountains daily with a SVO in winter, you can never go wrong with the right tire. It only takes one thing to go wrong and game over, the GY's have no safety margin in cold, wet and/snow as do most similar tire. I always use winter tires on all vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread