Goodyear Eagle F1's not all the same

blucobra03

Established Member
I posted a thread earlier looking for a deal on a replacement tire for one of my Cobra tires. It seems somehow it managed to get a cut in the sidewall. Anyway, I was turned on to Tirerack.com. So I call them up and place an order for 1 Goodyear Eagle F1/GS in the correct size (P275/40ZR17). I tell the guy specifically this is for the new 03 Cobra. He says they have them in stock and for $216.00 ships one out to me. I got the tire yesterday and was comparing the markings on it to ensure it was the same tire. What I found was that the tire they shipped me had a marking of "TPC SPEC 1156" on the sidewall that my tires don't have. Other than that they appear to be the same tire. Exact same tread pattern. I called Goodyear up and the guy tells me that the reference to TPC SPEC 1156 is a GM spec. as in General Motors. So I call Tire Rack up and talked to the same guy and told him about this. He says he needs to research it and will call me back. About 2 hours later, he calls me and asks me to check for another marking on the tires. He said that the GM tire has a 93W on the sidewall which is what was on the sidewall of the tire he shipped me. I then looked at the sidewall of my Cobra tires and they all have a 98W on them. What the guy at Tire Rack found out was that Goodyear makes 2 different versions of the F1. The 98W is a higher specification than the 93W to make it a stronger tire. The folks at Tire Rack didn't know this until I brought to their attention the different markings and then they researched it. I don't know if this all amounts to a whole heck of a lot but there is a difference and I thought I would pass it on to all you good Cobra lovers. Wouldn't want you running around on GM spec. tires now. It's kinda funny because I thought I remembered a few months ago someone saying that these tires were special for the Cobra. I guess they were right. I'm sure the other tire will work just fine. It's just not the exact tire for the car. Only a picky Quallity Manager like myself would be weird enough to see something like this probably. By the way, I have to hand it to the guy at Tire Rack. Most places would have blown it off but he really was a big help. They'll be getting my business again. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to make sure I covered it all. Later !!

i8u

Established Member
It is a specifically designed tire made to carry the load of our heavier cobras.
Hope this helps.:beer:

blucobra03

Established Member
Yes, the guy at Tire Rack is replacing the GM tire with the correct one for the Cobra. Since they were not aware of there being two different F1 tires, they have to order them in first and then it will be shipped to me. I think they are doing a good job of taking care of me.

Weasel

Established Member
Great ! Thanks for the info. I've dealt with TireRack for a number of years now and have also found them to be very helpful.

Mike

blucobra03

Established Member
Toofast, yes the price is the same. The only problem is they have to order the tire themselves from Goodyear because they only have the 93W in stock. It will be about 7 days before I get it shipped to me. But they already credited my credit card back for the wrong tire and arranged through UPS to have the incorrect tire picked up, obviously all at no charge to me. As I said, they have really done a good job of taking care of the situation.

blucobra03

Established Member
I know this is off topic, but can someone enlighten me as to how I can make my Avatar a picture of my car ? Thanks guys...:beer:

sonic77

Established Member
I just got a big nail in one of my rear tires right on the edge almost in the sidewall. It sucks living in a new construction area. (4 nail punctures in the past 2 years!) Since I haven't had a chance to get a roadhazard warranty yet, I'm probably going to have to get a new one from Tirerack as well. Thanks for the info. I had no idea there were 2 versions of these tires. I'll make sure to ask for the correct one

--
03 Cobra
(stock)
--

Users who are viewing this thread