Good take on racing a demon.

blk02edge

Established Member
Heat is the enemy on a road course and it is very, very difficult to manage 750+ hp worth of heat, let alone for 20+ minutes. I've been doing this a long time and have seen very few examples if it done well.
The problem usually is water is something like 6x better at absorbing heat than air; but by that same note that means it's that much harder to reject heat from liquid back to the air (in the form of a heat exchanger), so you need a LOT of fluid capacity and a LOT of surface area because once your fluid heat soaks you're basically done.

I'm not even being a fanboy here and saying the shelby can do it and the ZL1 can't, 750+ supercharged horsepower is the stupidest thing to try to take to a track day, but manufacturers stopped trying to sell to enthusiasts a long time ago and instead started selling towards magazines and bench racers... I'll hop off my soap box now.
How dare you! You've stolen everyones childhood.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Heat is the enemy on a road course and it is very, very difficult to manage 750+ hp worth of heat, let alone for 20+ minutes. I've been doing this a long time and have seen very few examples if it done well.
The problem usually is water is something like 6x better at absorbing heat than air; but by that same note that means it's that much harder to reject heat from liquid back to the air (in the form of a heat exchanger), so you need a LOT of fluid capacity and a LOT of surface area because once your fluid heat soaks you're basically done.

I'm not even being a fanboy here and saying the shelby can do it and the ZL1 can't, 750+ supercharged horsepower is the stupidest thing to try to take to a track day, but manufacturers stopped trying to sell to enthusiasts a long time ago and instead started selling towards magazines and bench racers... I'll hop off my soap box now.

I agree, but I dont road course so no cares on that. Im enjoying the big power wars

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Well, I’m not sure on the specifics, but I think Dodge just over took Ford in the Pony car wars.
Seems like giving enthusiasts a DRAG PACK option would actually sell. I absolutely love the horsepower wars, but I enjoy them where they perform best—STREET AND STRIP.
Ford is simply loosing to Dodge because it’s all about handling. GT350, GT350R, PP1, PP2.
Where’s the street strip options?
I remember the Mach 1 and Cobra selling pretty damn well back in ‘02-04.
GT350/350R—Track
PP package—street/track
GT500—ultimate power option for street with a Drag Pack option
‘Mach 1’—street/strip option

Ford and Chevy abandoned the street/strip market and Dodge is killing it there.
I understand the better all around car can turn and brake well, but as a Hellcat owner, the street/strip muscle car package works really well on a daily basis.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
That would be the mic drop camaro. LOL that our balls are so blue that we are pitting an imaginary camaro against a mostly imaginary gt500.

^^ true.

Would be a bad ass machine though.

Shit, I am going to have to own the last gen z28 at some point in my life. Thats a bad bitch too.

You know Ford's anticipating retaliation from the Camaro, that's the only reason the GT500 is 755, because they know the LT5 will go into a camaro at some point.

The rumor of it has been swirling around since Ford dropped the 780hp number. I hope they do it. Too hell with road racing I want brute bitch slapping power.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I have a SS 5th gen and with a little air let out I hook fine enough to bust a few S550 asses in my area so I dont know what the hell you are talking about. Nobody said I didnt see your post. Trust me when this GT500 makes it to the streets those cheeks are gonna get clapped like it was T$ rewinning the election all over again.

Fine enough as in 1.75-1.85 60ft which is fine, but keep in mind just drag radials are getting a lot of cars there and quicker these days. I’ve cut high 1.5 and low 1.6 60fts on 18” 28” nt05r’s and toyo tq’s. But my fist gear goes well past 35mph. I can get almost 70mph from first if I hang it to 8000rpm. That’s with 3.73’s in the diff and a 2.66 first gear.

Go drive a 10a ss and turn off stability control. Up here at 4500ft, I bet it spins a decent bit, but at sea level if has to be a half throttle kind of gear. That’s my experienced gut hunch. There’s no magic way to make that recipe work from what I know about cars. Like I said though, throw a 16” slick on it and ya it’ll eat some faces. That’s a hell of a lot of torque multiplication but it should bite well. I’d imagine 6th gen 10a’s on 16” slicks with some simple rear suspension mods to mitigate deflection are pulling low 1.4 to high 1.3 60fts. I know a guy years back got a 1.38 60ft out of an irs cobra with iirc a porter blower bolt on setup and eventually went like high 9’s at 137 maybe with 100 shot of nitrous.

A stock Demon has drag radials (street friendly NT05Rs). I really would like to see the GT500 on an equivalent street DR and the Demon stock (without crate parts). I think that’ll a drivers race but I’m not for fighting over stock vs modded. At the end of the day, if the DCT holds and a guy is willing to mod, the 500 has a killer package for modding potential.
But I’d still like to see them both stock on the same tire. In mindshaft late fall DA :)
-J

^exactly what I’ve wanted to see. Showroom status, fuel and setup. Same rear tire compound and as close of same size. Same day/track etc

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life

Watch to end.

At 2:50, he even does a small burnout to heat tires, is shy of 2000rpm load... and roasts em.

It’s not “slow” but a 35mph first gear is a joke for this car. It could easily take a 55mph 1st gear. Chevy should put a lower rear gear in the damn car. This has got to be a joke.

Comparatively

And more impressively a street vid

Honda S2000 esc powerband of the 5.0 needs a 10a when it’s in a 3800lbs car... the SS shares none of those red headed step child problems. What’s a cure for the mustang is snake oil for the SS imo.

The ironic part is that the ford isn’t even shifting 2 times before 60mph while the ss is... The gt is hitting 60mph in 2nd...

With only 12 years until we all die from blablabla you’d think Chevy would throw a 2.65 rear and the 10a in and say thank us for saving the planet with 1100rpm at 80mph and .0001 c02 emissions per millennium.

Last edited:

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member

Watch to end.

At 2:50, he even does a small burnout to heat tires, is shy of 2000rpm load... and roasts em.

It’s not “slow” but a 35mph first gear is a joke for this car. It could easily take a 55mph 1st gear. Chevy should put a lower rear gear in the damn car. This has got to be a joke.

Comparatively

And more impressively a street vid

Honda S2000 esc powerband of the 5.0 needs a 10a when it’s in a 3800lbs car... the SS shares none of those red headed step child problems. What’s a cure for the mustang is snake oil for the SS imo.

The ironic part is that the ford isn’t even shifting 2 times before 60mph while the ss is... The gt is hitting 60mph in 2nd...

With only 12 years until we all die from blablabla you’d think Chevy would throw a 2.65 rear and the 10a in and say thank us for saving the planet with 1100rpm at 80mph and .0001 c02 emissions per millennium.

I got a few guys to call up in the Camaro community to verify, but I believe the top guys are running 2.73 gears in the Zl1

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread