Good price for 2004 Diesel F250?

SM0KE

SVT God
Established Member
2004 Ford F 250 Diesel , Low miles

My brother in law is looking into this truck and was asking me what I thought about the price. I don't know much about diesels and just looked it up on KBB, seeing that it looks like a fair price. It's an older guy that owns it and obviously never really drove it. Is this a decent deal?

My other question: Are there any known problems w/ this year that he should be aware of? It has the 6.0L engine, btw.

What would you offer him? Thanks in advance for your advice.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Don't give advice on something you don't know about. The 6.0 will go down in infamy as the worst Diesel Ford used.

WolfPackST

Banned
Don't give advice on something you don't know about. The 6.0 will go down in infamy as the worst Diesel Ford used.

Yup, the 6.0 is the infamous, outsourced Diesel. With proper mods it can be a decent motor, though.

The older Powerstroke 7.3L or the new 6.7L are Ford's best diesels.

gtmustang00

Established Member
6.0 is a great motor. If you don't own one, you shouldn't comment. That price seems fair for the low miles.

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
Heated and cooled seats? I dunno about that....

And that's super low miles, I thought my 2003 with 100k was relatively low considering its a diesel.

A monitor of some sort (I have an edge insight cts) and knowing what your ect, eot and ficm voltage should be, coolant filter followed by changing out the Ford coolAnt to elc (Google it) and if you plan on running any tunes then arp headstuds is a good start.

Last edited:

ibleedblue65

Established Member
6.0 is a great motor. If you don't own one, you shouldn't comment. That price seems fair for the low miles.

Um no.

6.0 ftmfl. Worst power plant ford has installed in any vehicle of recent memory.

Last edited:

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member

This was my POS. I do know!

2011-11-06133215.jpg

ibleedblue65

Established Member
70k worked miles and 0 issues. Truck has made me 5x over what i paid for it. Maintenance is key...

Come talk to me when you have 170. Have replaced the hpop, injectors, ipr, ficm, heads and studs, oil cooler, egr cooler( if you weren't smart enought to delete it), y pipe, fixed leaking manifolds, done stand tubes and dummy plugs. What else am I missing? Pretty much after the truck has left you stranded 15 or so times in the first 150k miles. There are lucky 6.0 owners for sure but for the most part those trucks are pieces of shit.

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
I would take a bulletproofed 6.0 over a 7.3 any day of the week. Stock for stock 7.3 wins but the 6.0 is more powerful and gets better fuel mileage when tuned (except in extreme cases). The newer diesels are nicer for sure but with that you get a higher price tag and emissions. It sure is nice every time my emissions comes up and all I have to do is click renew 3 more years, and I don't have a urea tank to worry about.

SM0KE

SVT God
Established Member

Where'd I say I gave him any advice? :read: That's why I'm on here asking people who have an educated opinion about it. :loser:

Thanks everyone else for your opinions; I'll send him this link and let him see the responses.

Last edited:

ibleedblue65

Established Member
I would take a bulletproofed 6.0 over a 7.3 any day of the week. Stock for stock 7.3 wins but the 6.0 is more powerful and gets better fuel mileage when tuned (except in extreme cases). The newer diesels are nicer for sure but with that you get a higher price tag and emissions. It sure is nice every time my emissions comes up and all I have to do is click renew 3 more years, and I don't have a urea tank to worry about.

There's no such thing as a bullet proof 6.0

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
Basically op if your bil wants to buy a truck and just drive it and doesn't want to put any effort into the truck he should pass on the 6.0. If he doesn't mind getting a little dirty and can spend some cash (see my first post) I would say go for it.

ibleedblue65

Established Member
You need to go on powerstroke and :book:

It takes money and work.

I used to really like 6.0's but over time my opinion has changed. I know some of you guys who own them get a bit defensive when someone comes along and flat out says they are shit. Don't get me wrong, when they work they are awesome. The best looking super duty ford has ever built. Tons more power, better fuel economy, and drive ability than a 7.3.

I have a bit of experience with 6.0's. I'm not going to sit here and try to go toe to toe with a bunch of armchair mechanics, but I have made a damn good living fixing problems on 6.0's no one else could as well as modifying them. I've probably done more egr deletes and head jobs than anyone on that site(or this site for that matter). I'm simply trying to save someone a headache.

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
I used to really like 6.0's but over time my opinion has changed. I know some of you guys who own them get a bit defensive when someone comes along and flat out says they are shit. Don't get me wrong, when they work they are awesome. The best looking super duty ford has ever built. Tons more power, better fuel economy, and drive ability than a 7.3.

I have a bit of experience with 6.0's. I'm not going to sit here and try to go toe to toe with a bunch of armchair mechanics, but I have made a damn good living fixing problems on 6.0's no one else could as well as modifying them. I've probably done more egr deletes and head jobs than anyone on that site(or this site for that matter). I'm simply trying to save someone a headache.

If he were to follow my instructions from post #5 especially the edge insight part and knowing eot, ect temps, and ficm voltage (I would actually recommend he buys one and uses it on the test drive before buying (it will tell you if the truck is having oil cooler problems which leads to egr cooler problems that are the root of blown head gaskets ,head warpage, and injector failure) and the truck checks out followed by him doing the preventative maintenance I also posted he should be fine.

Yes you need to do work to get them there I never once said you didn't, and yes in stock form there are problems that need to be addressed hence my third post..... BulletProofDiesel - Darn-Near Bullet Proof Diesel Products for your 6.0 and 6.4 .

Yes they are selling a product but Google threads on them and you'll quickly see they are legit.

Last edited:

ModularFan

Established Member

You're gonna get the ones that say ya and your gonna get the ones that say nay. all their is too it. but on the bright side, its his money and his decision. not every 6.0 is gonna be an issue, a majority yes. but if you take care of it, it won't be an issue.

gtmustang00

Established Member
I'd go for it. All I have done is coolant filter, cat ec1 coolant, exhaust, and sct. Has had those "mods" since under 10k miles. I do have a egr delete that I've had for 2 years and have yet to install it. I bought the truck new.

gtmustang00

Established Member
Come talk to me when you have 170. Have replaced the hpop, injectors, ipr, ficm, heads and studs, oil cooler, egr cooler( if you weren't smart enought to delete it), y pipe, fixed leaking manifolds, done stand tubes and dummy plugs. What else am I missing? Pretty much after the truck has left you stranded 15 or so times in the first 150k miles. There are lucky 6.0 owners for sure but for the most part those trucks are pieces of shit.

At this rate I'll be talking to you by 2025 ish lol.

Should I also mention that this truck is a plow truck and is rust free?!

velocicaur

Established Member
Fantastic looking truck!

The 6.0 has a bad reputation but I would not hesitate to buy one.

A few things:
It is a short bed. I find it hard to believe that it is an XLT with those options. Lastly, it is "one owner," but it does not state that he is the original owner. The current owner doesn't appear to know what he has.

Too few miles. I didn't think I would ever say that, but 33k miles on a 10 year old diesel is just not enough. They need to be run.

It's such a hard truck to price. If it is what it is... no wrecks, perfect maintenance... it's almost one of a kind and will easily fetch 20k+. If there were some issues with it or it was wrecked, well, you may have an expensive pos.

Personally, I think I would pass and get a newer truck with more miles. It falls under the too good to be true category to me.

Users who are viewing this thread