Good Info On Turbo GT500 setups????

z28misfit

Established Member
I've tried searching,,but maybe I just dont know how to search properly. Long story short Ive been wanting to do a turbo v8 build for probably the past 8 years or so and havent done it. Started gathering parts for my 04 Cobra to go turbo but Im just gonna more than likely return it to stock and sell. I picked up a 2010 GT500 last year that had quite a bit of work done by JDM when I bought it from the original owner. I really like this car overall and feel like maybe Id like to do the whole turbo nonesense on this car but Im having a hard time finding what all guys are doing when they go to a custom turbo setup. I know its easier to put a bigger blower on but I know if I do that its still not what I want. Car already has a 2.9L whipple with JDM super stock cams along with other supporting mods. Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys!

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
First you'll have to decide if you want to compound boost your car (turbos into the supercharger). If yes, Id look into the Hellion parts kits. If dedicated twin turbos is your thing, Lotta fab will be involved.

EDIT: Look into turbo 5.4L manifolds.

Turbo placement would also need to be considered. If youre not bound by tough emissions testing, you could take a cue from the Cotoyte guys and mount them forward of the engine. I know Hellion places them down below next to the transmission. Probably going to need lots of custom fab unless you find a pre-made kit you like.

However you decide to go, keep us posted. Im sure youre not the only one of use that wants to look into TT. :D

Last edited:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
If you just want to put turbos on the car to say you did, then go with the Hellion kit. You can run it with or without the blower. It's decent quality and makes for a fun street car that can make a lot of power. I made 1000 wheel with twin 61's through the stock blower with the kit.

z28misfit

Established Member
Im not bad mouthing the Hellion kit since Ive never owned one but Im deffinately not interested in a compounded setup. The little bit I did search ,, I did find CG Fabrication makes forward facing turbo headers for the GT500s.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Hellion sells a sheet metal upper intake that replaces the blower if you want to run it with just turbos. I have one for sale currently actually. A custom kit will be nice but you'll be spending tens of thousands of dollars to do it right

HandBanana

Established Member
Interested in going this route as well but from what I've seen, it requires a lot of custom fab work, relocating the ECU for one is a PITA factor of proper turbo kit for our cars.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
In the post from fordgt500.com, the shop thats building the car supposedly making a relo kit for the ABS actuator.

Relocating the ecu may not be so bad, but if you add an add on controller like in the build, its custom harness time.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Interested in going this route as well but from what I've seen, it requires a lot of custom fab work, relocating the ECU for one is a PITA factor of proper turbo kit for our cars.

Lots of money and time involved in doing that. Lots of stuff needs to be moved and accounted for, as you noted. D3/ProSpeed was doing a badass turbo build a while back, the owner had a thread on here not sure if the car ever got finished, but it was a solid "proper" build. I have no doubt the cost of that project neared or surpassed the amount it would take to buy another GT500. I know I've spent over $30,000 on my build so far and I'm still nowhere close to having a complete car (I don't even have a completed longblock or chassis yet) but it's a dedicated race car and won't see any street time. Once you get into the realm of custom turbo kits and everything associated with it, it's a lot of money and waiting.

z28misfit

Established Member
Other than Sullivan has anyone seen any intake manifolds that replace the GT500 lower manifold? If I actually end up doing a turbo build on this car one day I would like to have an intake that takes place of the blowers lower manifold

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
There are several. Hogan, Marcella, Berry.... all very high dollar though. Why get rid of the lower intake?

z28misfit

Established Member
I'm just thinking using something like one of those intake manifolds you mentioned would be a better setup. I had an F1a pro charger on my 04 cobra and that kit re-used the lower manifold. I just thought it was sorta stupid. They used it so they could keep the factory heat exchanger and intercooler setup.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
They would be better for a max effort full race build, but you would also have a large air to water intercooler inline before it. I'm not going to say it's impossible, but certainly not easily done on a street car. Race car where you can run a half size radiator or no radiator, and lots of things get deleted, or you can put the intercooler in the cabin... it becomes a lot easier to fit things in.

The factory lower/air to water is a good setup. There are some tweaks that can be made to improve its cooling abilities but there's no need to get rid of it.

Users who are viewing this thread