Golfers, Step In

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
So, I recently bought a cheap set of golf clubs to get back into the game. I haven’t seen later since 2006, I have been wanting to get back into it and my father-in-law getting back in was the push over the edge. First 9 I played I didn’t keep score. I just played 18 and kinda got to see what was working and what is an issue.

My big issue is what it always has been, a slice from hell. I hit 250ish out and 50 to the right. I have tried everything to correct it even mitigate it.

Now, my fairway wood, hybrid, and iron game is great. 99% of my shots are brilliant. The big issue is touch when chipping.

The last hole one of the guys I was golfing with told me to try his Gen 2 PXG 0811X. I hit two shots. One with my driver where I stopped all correction and one with the PXG. My driver, big slice from hell. The PXG had me right of center of the fairway.

I have never spent good money on clubs due to my slice from hell but now I am thinking of getting fitted for some PXG clubs. Could my cheaping out be that big of an issue? Hitting the PXG felt great. I am prepared to go out and spend what I have spent on every club set I have ever purchased on a single set if good and fitted clubs really make that kind of difference.

If you buy an EV you won’t suffer through high gas prices. - Peter Buttplug

Bullitt1448

Established Member
1. Buy yourself a decent driver. Good clubs are like good tools, they just work better. I wouldn’t go for a full set right off the hop but a good driver isn’t going to break the bank.
2. Take some lessons. We can all use some constructive criticism. Even the pros have coaches. Don’t let anyone tell you lessons aren’t worth it.
3. Practise Practice Practice

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Best money you can spend to correct a slice on the drive when it isn’t present with your other clubs is a driver with an adjustable head.
Having a driver that allows you to close the club face should prevent the slice.
I say this because you mentioned you don’t slice the other clubs
On the fitting side I did that when I graduated college. When I did it the v cost of the custom fitting was waived/rolled into the club cost if you bought a set directly after the fitting.
In my case the summary was I’m average for everything (club length, lie, grip size) but to get the stiffest shafts possible due to high club head speed.
The biggest improvement in my drive (also originally a slicer that I had corrected to a controllable fade and all other clubs no slice) was buying a driver with a club head I could set to closed face (+2 in Calloway terms). Immediately I started driving straight without having to consciously close/turn over my right hand on the grip.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Also play in a league.
Like anything else if you don’t commit to playing weekly then you’ll play probably 10% of what you’d like to play.
I love my Wednesday night league. Breaks up the week perfectly!
-J

ZiaRunner

Established Member
you said, “Now, my fairway wood, hybrid, and iron game is great. 99% of my shots are brilliant. The big issue is touch when chipping.”

If 99% are brilliant then you need to be the one providing the golf lessons to folks.

I upgraded from a hand me down Cobra driver to a Taylormade and it helped tremendously. Every club I have is hand me down or used ping/taylormade and they perform great. Anytime they don’t it’s operator error. I don’t think you need to go out and buy the latest and greatest unless you really want to blow some cash. I think money best spent is on lessons from a local course pro. I wouldn’t mind having some new ping irons though.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Welcome back to the game. I used to have a bad slice off the tee and it was all grip related. Make sure that crease between your thumb and index finger is pointing directly at your right shoulder. I agree with Bullitt1448 that some lessons are a good idea. A decent instructor will also critique you on foot and arm position as well as grip. Another word about the grip, Jack Nicklaus said it best: "It's nice to have a comfortable grip but if an uncomfortable grip gives you better results use that one."

Five years ago I bought a new set of TaylorMades at Dick's Sporting Goods. The "woods" are graphite but I went with the steel irons. The graphite irons just didn't feel right to me.

Thorpz

Established Member
Premium Member
You say 99% of your game is good but only the driver is an issue my advice is stop trying to let the big dog eat. Slow down stop trying to big dick the drive for distance and see what happens. Or buy a thousand dollar club that “fixes” the bad habits. Haha

Blown00gt1

Established Member
The shaft in the driver is 90% of what matters. I would buy a used one vs new if you are getting back into it. Too many great clubs that are used and will save you a lot of money. Most drivers now have adjustments for draws and fades that can help tune it in. As far as chipping, take less club, gap wedge, wedge, possibly 9 iron, put ball back in your stance, forward press your hands, and just turn your shoulders like a putting stroke. You will be a lot more consistent.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
If I hit a bad fairway, hybrid, or iron shot I am aware immediately. Outside of working on getting my aim to be more accurate and the touch shots like close chips, I am very happy with that portion of the game. Hell, I’d say that my fairway, hybrid, and irons have a straight to slight draw flight path.

I need to work on my chipping and be more consistent there.

My big issue is driver. I did notice the PXG I tried had a stiffer shaft and I do have a high club speed.

I have tried everything to force my club face open to include my grip being as uncomfortable as a prostate exam. Now, I have noticed that when I went from my first set of clubs that the driver had a steel shaft to the new graphite ones that the slice got worse. This is with a “regular” flex shaft. Again, I have been buying cheap clubs as I did t want to spend a bunch until I fixed the drive portion of my swing.

I am just wondering with how the drive with a proper driver felt, is my main issue having a improper tool to do the job.

Honestly, I have never spent over $525 for a complete set and I have always bought new.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

97svt/01saleen

Established Member
You say 99% of your game is good but only the driver is an issue my advice is stop trying to let the big dog eat. Slow down stop trying to big dick the drive for distance and see what happens. Or buy a thousand dollar club that “fixes” the bad habits. Haha
This is what came to my mind as well. If all your other clubs are good, then technically your swing should be fine. Biggest temptation is to swing too hard with the driver and you speed up your tempo. When you do this, usually the hands don't keep up with the lower part of your body. In general, new equipment does not fix bad mechanics. As far as the difference between your driver and your friends. I'm guessing when you used your friends club, you now had a "new club", "new feel", expensive, "not your club", in your hands and may have instinctively slowed down your tempo, which put you in the fairway. That is purely guess though lol.

I agree with some of the others, practice, practice, practice cannot be overstated enough when it comes to golf. Also it just comes down to how you want to play, if it is about score, then put the driver away if all the other clubs are good, and tee off with your fairway wood. Remember Henrik Stenson won the Open with a 3 wood because his 3 wood was money.

As far as getting new clubs, by all means if you want new stuff, get it, I just don't think it will be the determining factor in improving your game. In my experience, it has more to do with being comfortable and confident over the ball.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Ive done about the same with my driver but I also push pretty much everything to the right. I did a 1 hour swing evaluation/lesson @ golftec and it was pretty cool. The video really does help as they'll stop it in multiple points through the swing and point out where the club head is, if you're opening or closing the face, body/club angles etc...

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Slice tends to be hips are too quick or hands are too slow (in my case, with my baseball/softball background, my hips are always the problem....they are way too quick). Lessons will do wonders for you. It's something I need to do. I get all my tips and lessons from my father-in-law who has been a consistent golfer for decades.

What also helped me was nailing down the tempo of my swing on all clubs. Tempo differs for everyone but it helps to keep a more consistent swing. When I'm at my worst, my tempo is off and I'm lazy. I take a fairly slow 3/4 back swing (I'm 5'9, 205lb bodybuilder/powerlifter) and let it rip. The quicker you can get to where you aren't thinking about every aspect of your swing, during your swing, the more consistent it should be.

I personally got my swing "figured out" with "good mechanics" (it's not figured out nor do I probably have the best mechanics but you know what I mean) BEFORE I bought any decent clubs. I still have yet to buy a good driver because of this. No club will fix bad mechanics.

This is all coming from an inconsistent person who only golfs maybe 6 times a year. I might be spewing misinformation and fake news.

Rare40th

Established Member
I play regularly, dealt with a slice issue for a little while. What I did wrong was stand up straight too much, keeping the shaft and club head sitting straight up as well, causing an outside to inside swing path. I then changed my stance so I would drop my hands causing the shaft to be a little lower and that in turn created an angle for the club head itself to sit with the toe higher than the heel. Spread that back foot a bit, when you go into your back swing it should feel like your lead wrist is turning down creating a "bow" in the wrist at the very top of the backswing. Start those hips first, bring the hands around to lead your shoulders and feel like you're swinging outwards creating a full turn, follow through. Always follow through, don't rush to stop the swing before that to "watch where it goes".

I swing a PXG 0811 driver set to 10*. PXG 3 wood 15* and a PXG hybrid 22*. I have Callaway Mavrik Pros for irons 5-PW and Cleveland wedges 52/56/60.

If I have learned one thing, buying clubs and being fitted, there is nothing better than that honestly. Yes mechanically you should work on that first and foremost, but newer club technology is ridiculously good.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
I have found everyones swing is different, including the reasons you slice or hook. Keep what you have and spend some money on some lessons first and foremost.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Well I suck with my drives. I'd love to hit 250+...but I do like my pxg 0811+ driver. It's very forgiving.

My short game is good.

The reason for a slice is simple. The club face is NOT square at impact. I get plenty of balls that hit center on the club face and still slice. But more often than not, I'm not squaring the club face at impact.

I actually just got back from golfing... wasn't great. But the drinks were!

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I played for years, and was a 14. I haven’t played in 3 years now and actually afraid to start again. Callaway Rogue woods, Adams irons and a old ass Ping putter.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I think I know what’s happening.

You filled the un-insulated golf back with ice and beer, it leaked through to the grips that had been dry-rotting in your cousins attic, and after 2-3 drives your hands were completely black and covered in rubber bits.

No? Oh, nevermind then. Carry on.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
I looked at a few things and think I may have an idea.

1. My driver has a longer shaft, for her pleasure, than the PXG.

2. My driver felt as if it has more flex than the PXG.

3. Weight placement in the head can make a difference.

My 5W and Hybrid shafts feel like they have less flex and are definitely shorter. I felt like the driver shaft seemed long when I got the set to the point I checked to ensure I got sent the right set. It could have been mislabeled. Hell, my father-in-law’s driver is supposed to be a “regular” length and is a good two-three inches shorter but it is decades old. I joked with him that I expected his woods to be actual wood.

Anyway, I am going to get fitted for an entire set and go from there.

Nanner

Established Member
Premium Member
I looked at a few things and think I may have an idea.

1. My driver has a longer shaft, for her pleasure, than the PXG.

2. My driver felt as if it has more flex than the PXG.

3. Weight placement in the head can make a difference.

My 5W and Hybrid shafts feel like they have less flex and are definitely shorter. I felt like the driver shaft seemed long when I got the set to the point I checked to ensure I got sent the right set. It could have been mislabeled. Hell, my father-in-law’s driver is supposed to be a “regular” length and is a good two-three inches shorter but it is decades old. I joked with him that I expected his woods to be actual wood.

Anyway, I am going to get fitted for an entire set and go from there.

Yes, go get fitted your swing speed and shafts will be key. I just stepped into the Taylor Made Stealth driver. Moved up from the M4. Absolutely love it.

Practice doesn't make perfect, Perfect Practice makes perfect. The thing about golf is, you don't have to be perfect...Just consistent. If you fade (not slice) the ball most of the time, adjust for it and play it.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, go get fitted your swing speed and shafts will be key. I just stepped into the Taylor Made Stealth driver. Moved up from the M4. Absolutely love it.

Practice doesn't make perfect, Perfect Practice makes perfect. The thing about golf is, you don't have to be perfect...Just consistent. If you fade (not slice) the ball most of the time, adjust for it and play it.

Fitting is setup. Going to get fitted for an entire bag, see what recommendations they make, how I hit, and go from there. I will make a thread on how things go if you guys are interested in the PXG stuff and their fitting process.

If you buy an EV you won’t suffer through high gas prices. - Peter Buttplug

Users who are viewing this thread