Going with a Napa alternator.

Rambro

Established Member
Stock alt has been struggling here lately. Voltage has been dropping from mid 13's to sometimes mid to low 12's on a decent drive. Started it today and mid 11's. Don't really have money for a fancy alt right now so I'm going parts store. How often are people having to change them out?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Seems to depend on the luck of the draw. I'm pretty sure my original alternator lasted to the 107k mark. To be honest I'm not even sure it was bad anymore. My buddy has been through 3 and his car is around 170k. I do think him running a 4lb lower affected that. He's been good since running the Metco 3.2" alternator pulley.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Over-spinning def shortens their life. I have never used a Napa alternator, but their top-tier parts tend to be pretty good.

I had the great luck of finding a local alternator/starter shop that does great work for a very reasonable price. They rebuilt the alternator on my last boat for $100 and I could have sworn it wasn't the same one when they gave it back to me. They used all new hardware (including the pulley) and bead blasted and painted the case. Great work for the price.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I'm not sure but mine has a reman Ford sticker on the case. So it has been replaced before. I have to ask what the warranty is? I'm not a fan of durashit that Autozone sells but if it's a lifetime warranty and you're on a budget I'd go that route. Also if it's not your D.D. I'd take Sid's advice and google to see if you have any local rebuild shops near you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I have a Napa alternator in mine now. I did it for the whole lifetime warranty - since I just know it will die at some point.

The Napa alternator is Alternator #3 for me. I installed it on my car on 8/24/14 @ 64K miles. It is still running strong in my car now @ 77K miles.

In my opinion - all Alternators will eventually fail. What I have focused on since is trying to reduce the electrical demand the car has. So far I have done it by swapping out all the exterior lights to LEDs or HID.

I still expect this one to fail at some point. When it does I'll just take it back to Napa and request a replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread