Going rate to install Whipple

Steve2050

Established Member
I am almost certain about going the Whipple route. Of the owners that had theirs professionally installed, what did you pay for labor? I am talking removal of Eaton, install Whipple, 60lb ers, TB, BAP, tune. I can do it myself (tons of info here on SVTP) but is it worth my time?

RoadRash

Established Member
I just did it myself. It was a weekend install and I was up and running. I would imagine that a shop would charge you a pretty penny for this. Lots of labor.

Steve2050

Established Member
Funny thing is on my racecar, I'll do just about anything but on the Terminator I don't want to mess with it.:shrug:

Got Torque

well do yah?
Established Member
It's super easy to do yourself, save yourself the money and do it.
I did the Whipple stuff on my car and when I switched to the turbo I did all that as well, it'll help you understand whats going on.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
It's definetely worth your time to do it yourself. Swapping the Eaton with the Whipple is cake, maybe a 3-4 hour job tops with a few beers in between.

h82luz

beer drinker
Established Member
i agree with 96stanggt! it may look intimidating but its not as bad as you think. i did mine no problem :beer:

ditchsnake

Established Member
Depends on how much money you got.

It's expensive enough to buy the parts. If you can, why pay someone to do it? Besides, if you do it it'll be done right. Unless you got a boat load of money!

jt239

Established Member
I plan on doing it myself but I was quoted $5,500-$6,000 for everything with Whipple making around 600 rwhp.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
When I get a whipple or KB, I will do the install...but I agree, I'm a little intimidated...

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Funny thing is on my racecar, I'll do just about anything but on the Terminator I don't want to mess with it.:shrug:

Terminator is still a mustang, It's not like it's a high end super car. :shrug:

Do it yourself, saves you the money and your gonna be more carefull with your own car than a shop will be.

03snakeminated

Established Member
when i had my 94 mustang gt (4 yrs ago) i installed a powerdyne s/c non i/c, (i'm not mechanicly incline just follow'd the instructions) took me one whole sunday, so i guess if i ever go the twinscrew route, i could tackle the install as well

Last edited:

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
dont be intimidated. if you have any mechanical skills, u can do it. i would NOT trust a shop to do the install. I did it myself, and i KNOW everything is torqued correctly, i KNOW e verything is clean and debris free. i KNOW nothing fell into the intake ports. and i saved cash. very rewarding feeling.

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
I called a shop here in town and they quoted me $5,273 for:

KB 28 H
BAP
Accufab TB
60s

That was installed and put on a dyno too.

He said we were looking at $4,573 before install, so they were gonna charge me 700 for install..

However when I plan on getting my KB I'm going to do the install along with a buddy and his dad hopefully.

Last edited:

DarkSnake

03 DSG Cobra
Established Member
Good price.

Some people are good with doing it themselves, others want to have it done. Just be sure that you are realistic, can you do it?? Can the shop?? I have a huge luxury, my local shop only works on mustangs, cobras and lightnings -- I wouldn't let the local ricer shop work on my car ever!!

I worked with a friend to do his Whipple 3.4 and it was straightforward and pretty easy, but we had every tool you can imagine as well.

TRBO VNM

A Whipple install is pretty easy. I think it's as easy or easier than swapping intakes on a 5.0.

it is as easy, but not easier. the SC setup weighs a lot more and isn't that easy to just rip it off and over the engine bay like a 5.0 intake. other than that, it is just bolts and torq sequences.

Do it yourself, saves you the money and your gonna be more carefull with your own car than a shop will be.

not if you find the right shop. I know I am more careful with customers cars than my own car and if something did happen, I would own up to it. I know most full time shops don't and I was victim of that before I started doign my own and starting my own business. honesty is the best policy, but I agree, hard to find these days.

dont be intimidated. if you have any mechanical skills, u can do it. i would NOT trust a shop to do the install. I did it myself, and i KNOW everything is torqued correctly, i KNOW e verything is clean and debris free. i KNOW nothing fell into the intake ports. and i saved cash. very rewarding feeling.

see my response above this quote.

typically I charge 250-350 for blower swaps. I don't charge for injector install since you have to pull that apart anyway, same with tbody, how can someone charge for that or even idler installs. and usually with my installs I redo the vac lines and delete all the stuff on the side of the blower. that is included in the price.

Steve2050

Established Member
Ok then, I'll tackle it myself. You guys are right, it's hard to find someone who will be as anal about the install as the owner of the car. No offence TRBO VNM, I don't see how you make any money at $250-350 doing this but I guess you have done plenty. If I do it, I'll have bragging rights to boot, LOL.

TRBO VNM

Ok then, I'll tackle it myself. You guys are right, it's hard to find someone who will be as anal about the install as the owner of the car. No offence TRBO VNM, I don't see how you make any money at $250-350 doing this but I guess you have done plenty. If I do it, I'll have bragging rights to boot, LOL.

no offense taken man. doing it myself is how I got started. I was in the same boat as a lot of people paying full retail for everything and labor. I have always been into cars and mechanically inclined, but intimidated by working on them. so I finally decided to start doing my own work and it just went from there.

how I make money? well, luckily for me, I have a regular full time job as a civil engineer. I just do this because I enjoy it and like helping people and do what I can on price since I was in the same position before. I understand trying to save money. so I do what I can for others.

word of advice, if you have access to an engine hoist, use that to pull the blower off. after doing a certain number of them I got tired of my back hurting(previous accidents) and use a hoist now.

Users who are viewing this thread